PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need help compiling or finding a compiled driver for an Asus PCE N15 NIC

Xelxa
December 8th, 2012, 03:38 AM
Title pretty much says it all. I am running Ubuntu 12.10 and I have been unable to find a compiled version of the drivers and have been attempting to work with the one I got off the asus website. Their readme is fairly confusing (as it has almost no detail or direction) basically all it says is
'You can enter top-level directory of dirver and execute following command to compile, installation, or uninstall the driver:
1. Change to super user: sudo su
2. Compile driver from source code: make
3. Install the driver to the kernal: make install. reboot
4. uninstall driver: make uninstall reboot
or rmmod r8192ce_pci.ko
That's all it has in the readme. I'm brand new to Linux so it was hard to understand at first. But I tried entering the commands and have gotten plenty or error messages. When i try using make it starts running only to get a fatal error: openssl/ssl.h no such file or directory. I try apt-get install openssl/ssl.h and it returns 'E: release 'ssl.h' for 'openssl' was not found Although when I type in apt-get install openssl I get a message saying the 'openssl' is already up to date and then lists packages that were automatically installed and are no longer needed. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

steeldriver
December 8th, 2012, 04:03 AM
Hello and welcome

To get the openssl/ssl.h header file I think you will need the libssl-dev package (the openssl package itself just contains the bits needed for running ssl - not for compiling)

sudo apt-get install libssl-dev

There may well be other 'prerequisites' though - have a look in the downloaded driver directory and see if there is a README or INSTALL file that gives more detailed instructions than those on the website.

If you want to take a step back and get help with your NIC driver in general, then I suggest posting a thread in the Networking and Wireless section where one of the networking gurus may be able to help you