PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8 An opportunity for others?

RichardUK
December 7th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Having spent the last two months working on a Windows 8 PC so that I could run visual studio 2012 so that I can port the games back catalog of the company I work for, I have to say, it is not good.

To steal someone else words, "it's not finished"

So, to my question, is this time for another OS to jump in?

See the blog post from my boss, he's not happy with MS.

http://www.rubicondev.com/blog/windows-rt-born-to-fail/

Here are some of the reasons they will not promote our game, which is a best seller on iOS and Android.

DESCRIPTION:
Please do not use rounded corners on the start title.

DESCRIPTION:
Use a drop down flyout instead of a small vertical scrolling section for the difficulty selection.

The Main Hub of your app should provide the user with a rich and diverse experience surfacing all the different types of content available to user.

That last one really got us, the UI was worked well for 100k + of players on iOS and Android, why should we need to change it? WTF!

It's a joke, it really is!

levlaz
December 7th, 2012, 09:18 AM
Read the blog post and your posting -- this is really annoying. Your game looks like fun -- ill have to check it out.

Have you guys thought about submitting it to the Android Humble Bundle? It would be a nice way to get your name out there -- and typically the bundles do very well.

Was never planning on getting RT or 8 -- so although I am not surprised by this at the least, it makes no difference to me.

Best of Luck!

RichardUK
December 7th, 2012, 09:26 AM
We've done a few of the Android promotions, 25c ones etc. You'll right these promotions are really profitable. Don't know about this bundle thing, not really my area.

I'm just a monkey who codes. :)

mastablasta
December 7th, 2012, 01:19 PM
things get even better with windows blue - pay every year for updates/upgrade? :-O

lz1dsb
December 7th, 2012, 01:31 PM
things get even better with windows blue - pay every year for updates/upgrade? :-O
Sounds like a pretty good business model :D

Bandit
December 7th, 2012, 02:59 PM
Yea it sounds annoying. Somewhere down the line your employer will have to decide if production cost outweigh profit. I would like to say I recommend saying they should go stuff themselves, but its all about the money.. But I can see where your frustrated. I used to work R&D and have my employer at the time ask silly stuff of me just to make someone else happy.

RichardUK
December 7th, 2012, 06:13 PM
I think this exception say it all.

Platform::NotImplementedException

I have been getting this all day, see a function I think ace, just what I need. call it on the phone and bang! This is not a development system, this is on a shop brought Nokia Lumia 820!

Never mind, the weekend is here and I can go and cuddle up with Ubuntu. :)

forrestcupp
December 7th, 2012, 06:38 PM
Since you're talking about the mobile side of Win8, my answer to your question is that we don't need another OS to move in. Android and iOS are already perfectly capable with most of the market share, anyway. But if MS is that strict with allowing things in their app store, I sure wouldn't want to deal with them.

On the desktop side, however, I don't see a problem with Win8. Once I installed an app to skip the ModernUI menu, go straight to the desktop mode, and put a Start Menu orb on the task bar, I actually like it a lot. If you're developing mobile apps, you're pretty much stuck with their new ways. But on the desktop mode, you don't have to be strapped in with it.

But I truly don't believe we need another new mobile OS.

lz1dsb
December 7th, 2012, 10:44 PM
Me too... But, what about Ubuntu Phone? I heard that there is some development there, unfortunately I haven't seen any Ubuntu powered phone.

Trammer
December 7th, 2012, 11:39 PM
double post

Trammer
December 7th, 2012, 11:45 PM
Yea it sounds annoying. Somewhere down the line your employer will have to decide if production cost outweigh profit. I would like to say I recommend saying they should go stuff themselves, but its all about the money.. But I can see where your frustrated. I used to work R&D and have my employer at the time ask silly stuff of me just to make someone else happy.

R&D? I remember a member named Bandit, with wings on his avatar, that used to argue that you could get the same benefits of a degree from a few months of short courses, which I assumed meant he didn't have a degree.

What company would employ someone without a degree to do R&D???

More on topic, you could say Win 8 has created an opportunity for Steam to expand into Linux (although they might not have bothered if they didn't feel they had to).

Paqman
December 8th, 2012, 08:34 AM
That last one really got us, the UI was worked well for 100k + of players on iOS and Android, why should we need to change it? WTF!

I don't see any problem with them having a style guide. Changing the UI to suit the platform sounds reasonable, I wouldn't want to see a smartphone UI on a PC, if that's what you mean.

fatality_uk
December 8th, 2012, 02:46 PM
As you have posted in a Linux forum and the on/off relationship your company has with Microsoft seems a little rocky, can we expect rubicon to commit to a Linux desktop OS version of your games? Will you be joining Valve in crossing the Rubicon and making in investment in Linux desktops?

Sableyes
December 9th, 2012, 01:03 AM

Some people have major issues with Google and Apple, so wont use iOS or Android. Guessing them people also wont use Windows either mind. If the market needs too have a 3rd big player option, might be Mozillas turn on the mobile market with the HTML5 OS they are working on. If they made it big, would be a good place for the anti Android/iOS folk too go.

sdowney717
December 9th, 2012, 01:07 PM
MS is moving onto 'Windows Blue' in a year.
MS is going to be updating on yearly or maybe quicker OS cycles.

But perhaps the biggest change you may encounter with the new OS is Microsoft’s plan to release an upgrade every 12 months.

Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/what-is-microsofts-windows-blue/#ixzz2EYWGEsGg
Follow us: @digitaltrends on Twitter | digitaltrendsftw on Facebook

Deeper software integration – This will be more than Microsoft claiming Internet Explorer is inseparable from Windows (and raising antitrust flags). Expect Microsoft to work to deeply tie Bing, Skype, Skydrive, Xbox video and music into Windows. On Windows RT, expect Office to become so tightly integrated that it will be difficult to tell where Windows stops and Office begins. Microsoft would like these integrations to be as seamless and elegant as possible, reaching customers quickly in the form of regular updates.

Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/why-did-stephen-sinofsky-jump-ship/#ixzz2EYWgECXa
Follow us: @digitaltrends on Twitter | digitaltrendsftw on Facebook