PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unable to get past the purple blank screen on my HP 450 Laptop

AmolR
December 7th, 2012, 08:11 AM
Dear Experts,

Huh! Apologies for creating a new thread. I'm new to Ubuntu ( though I'm familiar with Linus/Solaris). This is the third day and I'm still unable to install ubuntu 12.04 nor 12.10. I searched in the ubuntu forums and found suggestions to use 'nomodeset'. However, after specifying nomodeset as per suggestions, I could only get a purple colored blank screen only (without nomodeset, its freezing at black screen).

Could someone please suggest what else needs to be done or am I missing something?

My laptop configuration is : Intel Core i3 processor and features 2 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB SATA HDD, 14 inch LED HD display Intel HD Graphics 3000, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth.

Any pointers/help would be highly appreciated. Thank you in advance!
amol

AmolR
December 7th, 2012, 08:15 AM
And yes, I even tried with Live USB for 12.10. In this case, it takes me to the ubuntu cmd prompt which after few seconds goes off and black screen appears :(. Nothing works.

amol

mastablasta
December 7th, 2012, 01:25 PM
However, after specifying nomodeset as per suggestions, I could only get a purple colored blank screen only (without nomodeset, its freezing at black screen).

you can try pressing esc at the purple screen to see if there are any error messages. also i think if you really have intel GPU the thing should work out of the box without nomodeset parameter.
my questions for you:

Did you check the md5sum of downloaded image. It has to match exaclty the one on server.

how did you create the Live USB ?

My laptop configuration is : Intel Core i3 processor and features 2 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB SATA HDD, 14 inch LED HD display Intel HD Graphics 3000, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth.

If intel HD 3000 is indeed your only card it is well supported in linux and should work fine.