PDA

View Full Version : Is there a reason all the good tv shows come out on thursday?

mamamia88
December 6th, 2012, 07:59 PM
There are 7 tv shows that are new that I enjoy coming out tonight. The other 6 days of the week i maybe watch half hour of tv. Is there a particular reason why this is? edit breaking bad is on hiatus and so is game of thrones

KiwiNZ
December 6th, 2012, 08:18 PM
because the execs go out Wednesday night too busy Monday and Tuesday and get drunk Friday.

And it was the Mayans that decided it with their calendar.

lisati
December 6th, 2012, 08:26 PM
That explains why last night, a Thursday (local time), there were four shows on at roughly the same time on different channels that we wanted to watch here in the Lisati household.

KiwiNZ
December 6th, 2012, 08:29 PM
That explains why last night, a Thursday (local time), there were four shows on at roughly the same time on different channels that we wanted to watch here in the Lisati household.

I bet that was fun :D

This is why SkyHDi and TiVo are useful, mine just get filled with stuff I never watch though.

Elfy
December 6th, 2012, 08:32 PM
I bet that was fun :D

This is why SkyHDi and TiVo are useful, mine just get filled with stuff I never watch though.

Mine gets filled with stuff my daughter never watches ...

qamelian
December 6th, 2012, 08:46 PM
Never really noticed. Everything I watch is on on Saturday night! :)

lisati
December 6th, 2012, 08:49 PM
Mine gets filled with stuff my daughter never watches ...

Mine seems to be getting filled with stuff that Mrs Lisati likes, with the a small number of clips intended to showcase how Mrs Lisati sang a mean Karaoke before experiencing her stroke. /me wanders off to check out getting a copy of our wedding video copied across.

mips
December 6th, 2012, 09:12 PM
There are 7 tv shows that are new that I enjoy coming out tonight. The other 6 days of the week i maybe watch half hour of tv. Is there a particular reason why this is? edit breaking bad is on hiatus and so is game of thrones

Must be a local thing, the rest of the world might differ.

SeijiSensei
December 7th, 2012, 12:23 AM
I once worked for a project involved with the US television industry. The explanation has to do with ratings.

Thursdays typically have one of the lowest rates of "households using television," to use Nielsen's term, while Sundays and Mondays have the highest. Fridays and Saturdays have lower viewing rates as well, but the composition of the audience on those nights is different from Thursdays. Typically Friday/Saturday has a greater share of kids and older viewers and fewer of the 18-49 audience desired by advertisers. Thursdays have a smaller audience, but one that is less skewed than the two weekend nights.

So for a long time, television programmers have used Thursdays to show their more "edgy" programming. Since audience ratings were going to be smaller anyway, it became the night where the networks would take chances with their offerings. Nowadays with DVRs more and more programs are viewed outside the timeslot when originally aired, but it still seems that Thursdays contain the least mainstream programs. Of course, since everything on television targets audiences in the millions, being more or less "mainstream" is purely a relative term.

mamamia88
December 7th, 2012, 12:56 AM
I once worked for a project involved with the US television industry. The explanation has to do with ratings.

Thursdays typically have one of the lowest rates of "households using television," to use Nielsen's term, while Sundays and Mondays have the highest. Fridays and Saturdays have lower viewing rates as well, but the composition of the audience on those nights is different from Thursdays. Typically Friday/Saturday has a greater share of kids and older viewers and fewer of the 18-49 audience desired by advertisers. Thursdays have a smaller audience, but one that is less skewed than the two weekend nights.

So for a long time, television programmers have used Thursdays to show their more "edgy" programming. Since audience ratings were going to be smaller anyway, it became the night where the networks would take chances with their offerings. Nowadays with DVRs more and more programs are viewed outside the timeslot when originally aired, but it still seems that Thursdays contain the least mainstream programs. Of course, since everything on television targets audiences in the millions, being more or less "mainstream" is purely a relative term.
But what i'm looking forward too is super main stream Burn Notice, Two and a Half Men, Big Bang Theory, 30 rock, parks and recreation, the league, it's always sunny in philadelphia

drawkcab
December 7th, 2012, 05:35 AM
Sunday is almost always where it's at.