PDA

View Full Version : 64 bit help/info

KegHead
December 6th, 2012, 04:50 PM
Hi!

For the holidays I'm getting a new self built desktop!

AMD quad core, msi mobo and 4 gigs ram.

Will I be able to run Ubuntu 12.10 64 with no problems?

Will I need more ram?

Thanks in advance.

KegHead

darkod
December 6th, 2012, 05:10 PM
It should be fine. The only thing might be the video driver depending what card you plan to use.
If the CPU is in fact one of the new AMD APUs with integrated Radeon HD, you will probably need to install the fglrx driver to get full functionality. It should still work by default, only that it uses a driver called radeon with more limited options.
For Nvidia you also need to do few steps to get a driver running. Very often nvidia won't even load by default, unlike ati. But the fix is easy, if it gets to that.

KegHead
December 6th, 2012, 05:42 PM
Hi!

Thanks for the driver info.

I plan on using the onboard video card.

I look forward to the 64 bit experience.

KegHead

cybrsaylr
December 6th, 2012, 05:52 PM
Ram is cheap, do yourself a favor and get more ram.
4 gigs is OK but you will be happier with 8 gigs.

KegHead
December 6th, 2012, 06:10 PM
Hi!

I most likely will want 8 gigs after about 1 day!

KegHead

gordintoronto
December 7th, 2012, 02:31 AM
I run Conky showing my memory usage, among many other things. I've never seen anything which approaches my 4 GB. I'm currently running Firefox with three tabs, Chrome, Evolution, Skype, Nautilus, Gedit with a small file, and Audacious with a long list of songs. My memory usage is 1.29 GB. Oh, there's also a weather applet and f.lux. All this under Mint 13 with the latest Cinnamon.

I use Cinelerra for video editing, and memory has never been an issue.

I have an AMD dual-core and Gigabyte motherboard. From what I have read, the Ethernet port was not supported when I built the system, but I've never used it, because my wireless has always worked. (And I fool around with a new version or distro about once a month... I'm currently dual-booting with Xubuntu 12.10.)

KegHead
December 7th, 2012, 03:42 PM
Hi!

Looks like 4gb or even 2 will work!

I already have 4gb under the tree!

KegHead

KegHead
December 7th, 2012, 03:43 PM
Update;

I'm interested in running the Cairo desktop.

Any concerns?

KegHead

KegHead
January 2nd, 2013, 06:21 PM
Hi!

Thanks for your responses.

Closing out.

KegHead