PDA

View Full Version : If you'd start a company, what would it be?

December 6th, 2012, 12:28 AM
Well is there any entrepeneurs or entrepeneur-minded folks? Even if not, what is your dream? Would it rely on open source or just whatever is highly profitable?

joco1500
December 6th, 2012, 12:34 AM
I would start a computer company.

And yes it would be open source stuff.

Old_Grey_Wolf
December 6th, 2012, 01:07 AM
I have thought about doing laptop/desktop repair, refurbishing, or re-purposing after I retire in order to get some extra income. Due to demand, 95% of the work would probably not be an open source operating system; however, open source might play as much as a 50% role in applications. If you look at my signature below, then you will see that I am OK with that. :D

LillyDragon
December 6th, 2012, 01:17 AM
If I had the chance, I would start a costume creature shop, personally, and have all the office computers built from used parts and running Ubuntu or Redhat exclusively. =P I also want to get into refurbishing old game consoles, even replacing aging electronic components in their MOBOs with fresh ones, and reselling them at a reasonable price for consumers with a love for anything retro.

December 6th, 2012, 01:44 AM
I also have a bigger dream which can conquer the world (seriously). I only have to hire qualified workers/partners and get some investor's money. It's superb but not completely unique idea from what i've learned -it's in use on some part of world but those have quite poor outcome compared to my ideas.

It's still worth a try. Even if many things goes wrong, it's worth couple millions revenue in here where I live. It also completely relies on open source software so everybody wins. Only problem is we are in recession right now so start would be too risky, as business always is, but you don't want extra risk straight from the beginning. In a year or two I'll be an entrepeneur.

December 6th, 2012, 01:50 AM
If I had the chance, I would start a costume creature shop, personally, and have all the office computers built from used parts and running Ubuntu or Redhat exclusively. =P I also want to get into refurbishing old game consoles, even replacing aging electronic components in their MOBOs with fresh ones, and reselling them at a reasonable price for consumers with a love for anything retro.
I also had a daydream about this. Only six options to customers

AMD A4, A6 or A10
Intel i3, i5 or i7

with Ubuntu 12.04. Also couple of HP printers, RAM options and one or two different AMD/Nvidia GPUs if customers want more processing power. Also Steam pre-installed for gamers. Advantage would be that you don't need big warehouse for these. I think this would work on a bigger city but not in a small town where I live; Microsoft Windows is still a synonym to Operating System. I've done my best to make a change from windows to linux, but it's difficult. 27 PCs so far from Vista/7 -> Ubuntu 12.04.

Jakin
December 6th, 2012, 02:44 AM
I know it is probably assumed to be the answer of most-

I would really created a company aimed at linux support. (of course i would definatly need to take some type of professional class on UNIX first because i sure do not know everything- but like to think have great experience) Whereby i would build custom computers that run linux and set the customer up with the linux OS of their choice- after a conversation on the types of distros out there they might like to tryout, and if need be basic help of how to get started. I would also allow customers to bring in retail machines that i deem to be compatible with Linux. I will of course freely back up their windows/OS X partitions- from there they can decide to ditch the preinstalled OS or dual-boot, eitherway i would have a backup of the machines original state for them.

The other option, is leasing skills to developers to help make their games cross platform.

Mikeb85
December 6th, 2012, 05:51 AM
Well is there any entrepeneurs or entrepeneur-minded folks? Even if not, what is your dream? Would it rely on open source or just whatever is highly profitable?

First dream I've always had is to open up a high-end pastry shop. It was my first career, one I was very good at, but one I had to put on hold because I wasn't making enough money to pay for my dream.

Second is to create a proprietary trading company. Apart from cooking and pastries, finance/economics is a passion of mine (and I've devoted alot of time, effort and money into trading in the last several years - I've also gone back to University, funded by my trading activities).

If that's slightly too ambitious (which is most likely is, as I have nowhere close to enough capital) then I'd like to create a web app and a company based around it which provides up to date worldwide economic and financial data that could help businesses plan their operations based on market conditions (I've found alot of business managers, especially in small businesses, are ignorant of macro issues).

As for open source technology in my potential business plans, I definitely would incorporate it. Not because I care about the FSF or even freedom, but because it's a great pragmatic choice - for building a system from the ground up Linux and open source tools are the best.

QIII
December 6th, 2012, 06:59 AM
I'm not sure what the business itself would be, but it would have to be one where I made obscene amounts of money, did very little and got to yell at people a lot.

mastablasta
December 6th, 2012, 08:48 AM
I'm not sure what the business itself would be, but it would have to be one where I made obscene amounts of money, did very little and got to yell at people a lot.

i would onyl be the owner of succesfull business while others would work for me. i would just count the money/profits at the end of each month. :p

but seriously i think consulting is preety good.

Statia
December 6th, 2012, 10:58 AM

Become Steve Ballmer?

Statia
December 6th, 2012, 11:02 AM
I would become a rum-runner.
I noticed that my favourite Bajan rum was 5.5 times as expensive in Australia as on the Caribbean island I used to live on.
So I will acquire a clipper and a crew. Sail to Barbados and fill half my hold with Mount Gay. Sail to Jamaica and fill the other half with Appleton. Sail to Australia and sell. Instant profit!
Any want to crew?

mastablasta
December 6th, 2012, 01:09 PM
is the crew allowed to taste the product on the way? :-)

Statia
December 6th, 2012, 01:27 PM
is the crew allowed to taste the product on the way? :-)

Well of course! Rum drinking will continue until morale improves!

Time flies when you're having rum.

It's all rum and games, until someone loses an eye!

We will go on a rumpage across the oceans!

haqking
December 6th, 2012, 01:30 PM
I would freeze napkin towels and sell them on Miami Beach from a cooler for $2 each, my buddy does it and makes about $500 a day walking along the beach in the sun looking at the chicks !

People use them on forehead and neck for a few seconds to cool down then throw them away.

But then actually I wouldn't cause I am lazy so I wouldn't actually do anything as I am a misanthropic apathetic procrastinating nihilist !

SeijiSensei
December 6th, 2012, 02:22 PM
Starting today there are some good prospects for entrepreneurs with agricultural talents in Washington State (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-12-06/marijuana-possession-becomes-legal-in-washington-state.html).

Docaltmed
December 6th, 2012, 02:37 PM
I've been in business for myself for nearly my entire adult life.

It's not all that it's cracked up to be. You work extremely long hours, vacations are hard to come by, and there's always something to worry about/needs repair/missing/etc.

You have to be good with personnel management, finance, marketing, and of course, whatever your core skills are.

That said, I wouldn't trade it for the world. I get to make all the decisions. Every. Single. One. If things screw up, it's my fault and mine alone. I like that feeling.

It also gives me enormous pride, when I leave the office in the evening, after everyone else has left. I look back at the building, and I realize it's mine. I own that building and the land that it's on. I look at my sign, and I realize that where there was once nothing, now there's something. Something I built, literally, with my brains and my own two hands. Because of me, people have jobs and can feed their kids.

It's a heady sensation, to be sure, and just about makes up for the fact that I am working today, on my "day off."

EDIT: Oh, yeah, to make this marginally on-topic. Every computer in my business runs Ubuntu, we use nothing but open source software. The ROI on Linux-based desktop computing is incredible. I began my business' migration to Ubuntu at about 8.10, and never looked back.

forrestcupp
December 6th, 2012, 02:44 PM
I would start a business selling lawn ornaments, like gazing balls, gnomes, and those cutouts of a fat woman bent over in her garden.

Mikeb85
December 6th, 2012, 06:35 PM
I would become a rum-runner.
I noticed that my favourite Bajan rum was 5.5 times as expensive in Australia as on the Caribbean island I used to live on.
So I will acquire a clipper and a crew. Sail to Barbados and fill half my hold with Mount Gay. Sail to Jamaica and fill the other half with Appleton. Sail to Australia and sell. Instant profit!
Any want to crew?

Don't forget to stop by Guyana... Best rum is there IMO (though the country is a little rough).

mamamia88
December 6th, 2012, 08:05 PM
Brewpub probably overlooking lake michigan in chicago or any body of water. something nice and relaxing about having a beer while looking at something beautiful

mythic97
December 6th, 2012, 08:12 PM
I have always wanted to do some web tutorials and some remixing of Linux OS's my firsts near the finished mark still it just a dream

Statia
December 6th, 2012, 09:23 PM
Don't forget to stop by Guyana... Best rum is there IMO (though the country is a little rough).

Hmmmm... Eldorado 15yrs.... Good idea.
But then we will have stops in Nicaragua (Flor de Caņa) en Guatemala (Zacapa 23 yr) as well!
And this coconut rum they make in St Kitts....
And I know this plantation inn on Nevis that does the best rum punch I ever tasted...

Say, crew, do you mind if our trip lasts a little longer than strictly necessary?

nenenes
December 7th, 2012, 04:38 AM
I train dogs and do really well at it. Problem in trying to do a dog training business is that people actually expect you to train the dog when what your trying to do is to teach them to train the dog.

December 7th, 2012, 10:03 PM
This thread is what happens when you drink one bottle of vodka. Today I realized I've done this.. :D But yeah, I have superb idea and will start a company if stars' positions are right.

BertN45
December 7th, 2012, 10:31 PM
Can't be true, the best rum is here in the Dominican Republic and it's "Brugal", especially the 12 year's old ones.

tech291083
December 8th, 2012, 05:31 PM
I can't believe it, so many folks want to do start a software company and that too open-source based, I am very happy to hear this.

Given a chance, I would open a lab on an island where no visa is required. You can fly from any where in the world at any time without any qualifications and the criteria would be your dedication to open source philosophy. Open all hours would be my motto.

I would operate a learning lab with the best open source software and 24*7 trainers teaching in class, which can be broadcast live on the web for all the interested. Next to this lab there would be a dedicated server room where people can host their sites on Linux servers only, so a bit of web hosting as well.

But my main aim is to create such a learning facility and too so flexible from every aspect that if you miss a class at 2 am Brazil time or 4 pm India time, you would feel like a criminal. Haaa, just kidding. I have learned a lot with the help of this forum and others on the net about Linux, I am self-taught in one sense of the world and community-taugh in another. I would like to say thank you to this forum and its wonderful members for helping me out. Thanks guys.

tech291083
December 8th, 2012, 05:45 PM
I train dogs and do really well at it. Problem in trying to do a dog training business is that people actually expect you to train the dog when what your trying to do is to teach them to train the dog.

Spot on mate.

Mikeb85
January 6th, 2013, 08:22 PM
Can't be true, the best rum is here in the Dominican Republic and it's "Brugal", especially the 12 year's old ones.

You should try the 25 year old El Dorado. ;)

click4851
January 6th, 2013, 11:21 PM
firearms manufacturer

teward
January 6th, 2013, 11:31 PM
It would be "Doomsday Bringers", and it would be weapons manufacturing, more specifically explosive ordinance.

t0p
January 7th, 2013, 12:37 AM
I have often thought of opening a shop selling second hand science fiction books/comics/DVDs, which is also an internet cafe. So folk can come in, buy a book or comic and sit and have a read while drinking a latte or whatever, or use one of the store's computers, or bring a laptop or tablet and use the wifi.

I guess at least some of the desktop machines would have to be Windows, otherwise some people would be scared off. But I'd definitely use Linux and open source software for the servers running the network etc. And a few Ubuntu desktops would attract the initiated and the curious.

Oh yeah, and there'd be a huge video screen on the wall, so we could have sessions watching DVDs. Like a Star Wars day, and Star Trek sessions. And "video nasty" horror nights!

Starting to think this shop's gonna have to be pretty damn big... :P

BrokenKingpin
January 8th, 2013, 02:26 PM
I am a professional programmer, so I have thought about starting a company that just does contract work. That being said, I don't want to manage a business, I just want to code.

I also like the idea of a computer repair shop that does not rip people off... although it probably would not be overly successful.