PDA

View Full Version : Switch User Sessions via Android tty App

bakunin_yo
December 5th, 2012, 07:36 AM
Hi,

I'm attempting to integrate my Droid phone into my home media system and have hit a bit of a snag. Due to some technological limitations I have video in my livingroom set to a different resolution than at my desktop (extended display does not work, nor does separate desktops), so my solution has been to simply use shortcuts to switch between 2 different X sessions depending upon how I'm using the system. I know that you can switch X sessions by Ctrl+Alt+F8/F7 but cannot for the life of me find how to do this using a terminal command. I've set up my phone to be able to control QMMP and VLC quite nicely, but I use them on opposite X sessions so that the video X session goes to my living room video and the music X session is distributed to both the living room and computer area.

The reason why I need to find a terminal method to switch X sessions is that the App I'm using to connect to my desktop (via SSH) implements everything through a terminal. I'd like to have a custom command in the app to just hit a button and switch between X sessions. So, does anyone know how to switch X sessions from the command line just like using the key combination above? This is the best I've found so far, but it's not working for me: http://askubuntu.com/questions/111116/how-can-i-invoke-a-user-switch-from-the-command-line