PDA

View Full Version : Kubuntu.com

GuitarHero
July 4th, 2006, 09:41 PM
Does anyone else think the Kubuntu website looks completely unprofessional? The ubuntu one is very smooth and inviting but the colors chosen for kubuntu.com seem to bright and childish looking, coupled with the three KDE dragons.

aysiu
July 4th, 2006, 09:49 PM
It's fitting for KDE, I think, which some people consider "bright and childish-looking," but I think it's charming.

awakatanka
July 4th, 2006, 09:52 PM
Also they showing news on there website, even new builds for apps that are used much. ( hmm see now that ubuntu news is on the side, ;) )

GuitarHero
July 4th, 2006, 09:52 PM
Well I actually find Kubuntu as an OS very nice looking, just the them was not well implemented in a web site.

John.Michael.Kane
July 4th, 2006, 09:53 PM
unprofessional? no.. It has the colors depicted for the distro they support, and is inviting to those who use KDE or any distro for this matter.

RAV TUX
July 4th, 2006, 09:58 PM
It's fitting for KDE, I think, which some people consider "bright and childish-looking," but but I think it's charming.

I couldn't agree more. KDE has always had a festive, circus-like, disney world effect and kubuntu.com reflects this appropiately.

Linux with bling.

Johnsie
July 4th, 2006, 10:01 PM
It doesn't pass the W3C validator test. Saying that, neither do a lot of very popular sites.

Lookswise, in firefox, it looks ok. A little simple and childish but then again, i find KDE a little too simple and childish anyway :-)

Kubuntu is just a spinoff anyway :-)

kigina
July 4th, 2006, 10:04 PM
its a little messy but its fine. what i really like is the xubuntu site.

well i guess it does fit what i think of kde then
a little messy
no offense to kde users

Rhapsody
July 4th, 2006, 10:57 PM
Linux with bling.
Oh man, I am going to have to use that to describe what Kubuntu is now. Brilliant stuff.

GuitarHero
July 4th, 2006, 11:19 PM
Eh its just sloppy. None of the content is organized into tables with colors. Everything just floats there in a sea of white with a bright blue header.

Jucato
July 4th, 2006, 11:54 PM
Eh its just sloppy. None of the content is organized into tables with colors. Everything just floats there in a sea of white with a bright blue header.

Ubuntu.com was like that before, too. It was only during Dapper's release that was changed. It was even worse before, because the news section wasn't updated. At least now they're updating it regularly (I hope).

Is Kubuntu.com ugly? Not really, from a KDE point of view.
Does it look unprofessional? Depends on what you mean by "unprofessional". If by unprofessional you mean that it looks like a website of a regular distro, not a distro that aims to attract "enterprise" customers and and serious investors, then that maybe a "yes". But then again, that's Ubuntu's area (business sector/investors/customers).

But probably a new layout would do Kubuntu.com/.org some good. :D

yaztromo
July 5th, 2006, 12:10 AM
Lookswise, in firefox, it looks ok. A little simple and childish but then again, i find KDE a little too simple and childish anyway :-)

Isn't it the other way round? I find Gnome pretty simple and dumbed down, thats why I moved to KDE.

Kubuntu is just a spinoff anyway :-)

Kubuntu may be a spin off from Ubuntu. But KDE is certainly not a spin off from Gnome.

maagimies
July 5th, 2006, 01:54 AM
Isn't it the other way round? I find Gnome pretty simple and dumbed down, thats why I moved to KDE.
I found this on the forums, don't remember who wrote it, but:
Gnome:
less stuff, but presents it greatly
KDE:
more stuff, but presents it badly

Really, the default KDE look is simply horrendous, Kubuntu did a great job by making the default KDE layout better.

Well, I recently switched to Gnome after several years of KDE usage, and I'm finding that Gnome is just more elegant; I don't care about the advanced features, I'm that advanced that I can just code them in the sources ;)

John.Michael.Kane
July 5th, 2006, 01:57 AM
Please keep this thread from becoming a gnome vs kde flame-war.

tsb
July 5th, 2006, 04:44 AM
looks great to me

RAV TUX
July 5th, 2006, 05:37 AM
Oh man, I am going to have to use that to describe what Kubuntu is now. Brilliant stuff.

Thanks for the compliment. Glad to help.;)