PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu for mac

Rarita
December 4th, 2012, 03:38 AM
I have a mac os x 10.5.8 and I,ve tried to install ubuntu , but I can't! I' am really new on this and I really want to migrate to Ubuntu. I've tried virtual Box 4.2.4 81684-osx.dmg. Even that it says that works in osx 10.5.8, it didn't work. Is there any other way?:roll:

kaldor
December 4th, 2012, 03:43 AM
"Ubuntu for Mac" implies that you're wanting to install Ubuntu on your Mac hardware. However, you're referencing Virtualbox in your post.

Are you trying to install Ubuntu on your Mac (if so, what model?), or are you trying to install Ubuntu in a virtual machine?

sandyd
December 4th, 2012, 04:04 AM
Welcome to the Apple Support section for Ubuntu

offgridguy
December 4th, 2012, 04:07 AM
I have a mac os x 10.5.8 and I,ve tried to install ubuntu , but I can't! I' am really new on this and I really want to migrate to Ubuntu. I've tried virtual Box 4.2.4 81684-osx.dmg. Even that it says that works in osx 10.5.8, it didn't work. Is there any other way?:roll:
There is some info here that may help.:)

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2081105&page=2

P.S. Welcome to the forum

Rarita
December 4th, 2012, 04:08 AM
I'll try the virtualbox! but this version of VB 4.2.4 81684-osx.dmg doesn't work on my mac (osx 10.5.8.
Thanks!

sandyd
December 4th, 2012, 04:30 AM
I'll try the virtualbox! but this version of VB 4.2.4 81684-osx.dmg doesn't work on my mac (osx 10.5.8.
Thanks!

Are you trying to run Ubuntu in Virtualbox, or Ubuntu on your mac?

levlaz
December 4th, 2012, 04:39 AM
Are you using an Intel or a PowerPC Mac? (If you are unsure click on the apple on the top left and look at About this Mac, it should tell you what type of processor you have.)

You are running 10.5 so it is possible that you have a PPC, if so you cannot run Virtualbox on a PPC mac.

You have other options, I believe there are other Virtual Machines that you can use with PPC, or you can install Ubuntu directly to the mac using a PPC version.

However, before you do any of that answer my initial question. :)

Ms. Daisy
December 4th, 2012, 04:57 AM
Edit- I didn't see the post above me until after I made my posting. Answer his question first.

It sounds to me like you're trying to find options to get Ubuntu on your Mac. You've got the following choices:

1. replace mac with Ubuntu onto the hardware. Mac will be gone forever unless you've got the installation CD.
2. dual boot mac and Ubuntu - they are both installed on the hardware.
3. install Ubuntu inside of Virtualbox. Virtualbox is software that you install on Mac which allows you to emulates an entire operating system.

There's a nice discussion about the options here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DualBoot/MacOSX

peezee13
December 4th, 2012, 06:25 PM
If I may add, as a Linux noob myself and from the height of my already 15 posts or so here ^^, there's also the possibility of running Ubuntu from a "Live" CD or USB flash drive, which allows one to try it out before installing on the hardware later, eventually.

Now, getting Live Ubuntu to work on a Mac, esp. a PowerPC based Mac (as the 10.5 MacOS mentioned by the poster seem to imply) is an entire challenge in and of itself. I can tell you about it, I'm facing the challenge right now (see my topic on this forum)... :mrgreen:

levlaz
December 5th, 2012, 06:40 PM
As far as I knew there wasn't a Live CD for PowerPC.

peezee13
December 5th, 2012, 08:49 PM
Well there is one now, I just installed it and running it right now. (Persistent Live USB, Ubuntu 12.04 for PPC)

It's also possible to fully install Ubuntu on a USB stick, not sure exactly what's the difference in terms of usability and performance when compared to a Persistent Live install, actually I'd be interested to know - but that's yet another topic.