PDA

View Full Version : New kind of light- Field-induced polymer electroluminescent (FIPEL)

sdowney717
December 4th, 2012, 03:34 AM
http://www.laserfocusworld.com/articles/2012/11/fipel-lights-dont-flicker-shatter-or-burn-out.html

Made of plastic and can not break or wear out?
Supposed to be as efficient as LED light and will have a better color spectrum.

Supposedly coming to market next year, which is a surprise. I hope they price this low enough so I can afford to buy them.

LillyDragon
December 4th, 2012, 03:44 AM
Instant want! Fipel lights look amazing. ^o^ Maybe we'll see these in laptop LCD lamps soon enough, and just imagine if they eventually find a way to create screens from these things instead of LEDs? Those flexible screens in the movie Red Planet look a little closer to reality at this point. =P

Bandit
December 4th, 2012, 07:19 AM
Tech has been out for a while. I think the big holdup is cost of the nanotubes (thus over all production cost as well.) Definitely see some real world usage for them now though. Esp in the Military were gear needs to be extra rugged..

lz1dsb
December 4th, 2012, 09:17 AM
Looks quite interesting. The flourescent lamps are notorious for the poisonous materials used in their production, CFLs have the same issue. This looks a lot cleaner technology. Only the time will tell if it's going to make it to the market.

Linuxratty
December 4th, 2012, 07:41 PM
I really want one,but the price could be over the top.