PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Configuration of one user mixed up - newb

RobertoRecordo
December 3rd, 2012, 09:24 PM
Hello
My desktop quit working, I'm distressed, I need to get back to work!

recent fresh install of 12.10 Ubuntu Studio 64 bit
added the office suite.
Mostly things were working as expected, but still messing around with Jack/Alsa settings.

Today my desktop environment went funny (but I'm not laughing)
* gedit shows no insertion point indicator
* most programs (firefox, gedit others) sill shop pull down menus that disappear when I try to mouse over - managed to arrow down to select the required prefix thread to post this!
* no windows have minimize/full screen/quit buttons
* the second user on this machine has no such problems

I did not hack any settings, with the exception of pulse audio settings.

I saw an earlier post today - same title
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2090403

but I think my problem is not self inflicted, and I don't think I could perform/understand the suggested remedy because I'm linux NEWB.

Can any one help?

Rob

Isamu715
December 4th, 2012, 01:28 PM
If you didn't alter settings much there should be no problem with resetting them for your user account. Either delete them all and copy from the other users account or(after backing up your personal data) delete the problematic user and create it again. If the problem persists after redoing your tweaks to pulse audio settings then these tweaks may be the reason of your current problems.

RobertoRecordo
December 4th, 2012, 08:02 PM
If you didn't alter settings much there should be no problem with resetting them for your user account. Either delete them all and copy from the other users account or(after backing up your personal data) delete the problematic user and create it again. If the problem persists after redoing your tweaks to pulse audio settings then these tweaks may be the reason of your current problems.

Thank you for the reply. Because I am learning the basics of using Ubuntu, and have not yet learned where user settings are stored, or even if you mean all of the user settings, or just desktop settings, or... I am lost.

There is a recent thread how to reset compiz and unity completely?
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2087068looking at that tells me that I probably need to know more before I can proceed.
I know how to do the basics in the shell, and I am willing to work on this, but I need a better description of what needs to be done.

Thank you,

Rob

Isamu715
December 5th, 2012, 06:10 PM
There is a recent thread how to reset compiz and unity completely?What window manager are you using? If it's not Compiz following this makes no sense, Ubuntu Studio doesn't use Unity and you said you didn't alter settings much, thus I believe you're still on Xfce. There are lots of problems when running Compiz on Xfce, if that's the case try running:

xfwm4 --replaceSee if it makes any difference.

Impavidus
December 5th, 2012, 10:26 PM
What window manager are you using? If it's not Compiz following this makes no sense, Ubuntu Studio doesn't use Unity and you said you didn't alter settings much, thus I believe you're still on Xfce. There are lots of problems when running Compiz on Xfce, if that's the case try running:

xfwm4 --replaceSee if it makes any difference.
That's the code that worked for me. And don't delete all your settings too soon, you may delete more than you wished.

RobertoRecordo
July 6th, 2013, 12:51 AM
You won't believe that it took me this long to get back to it!
Yet, this certainly made Firefox useable: I can see the minimix/maximiz/exit icons and the fonts and colors are as expected.

Thanks!