PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Thunar segmentation fault

annikos
December 2nd, 2012, 07:01 PM
Hi all!
I've installed Voyager 12.10 x64 (Xubuntu) on my laptop (Acer 5920G).
It looks fantastic and fast as well.
But...
Thunar crashes either from the terminal either from menu when I try to navigate through folders and/or open files. (segmentation fault)
I've added thunar/xfce 4.12 ppa (xubuntu-dev) to install the most fresh build of thunar (1.5.3) but it didn't help.
Do I have to abandon thunar and move to nautilus or similar?
Thanks.

Toz
December 3rd, 2012, 03:41 AM
Try running thunar like this:

strace -f -F -odebug.txt thunar

After the crash, have a look at the debug.txt file in the working directory for a clue as to what caused the segmentation fault. Feel free to post it back here via:

pastebinit debug.txt
...and post back the link that is generated.

Depending on the results, we may be able to offer some suggestions or at least suggest that you create a bug report over at bugzilla.xfce.org.

annikos
December 3rd, 2012, 02:00 PM
Thanks Toz,

Here's the generated link:
http://paste.ubuntu.com/1407664/

I hope it helps.

Toz
December 3rd, 2012, 03:17 PM
Nothing jumps out at me in that log file to indicate a cause.

Do you have a crash report file created in /var/crash for thunar? If so, can you post the crash file?

Also, are there any error messages in ~/.xsession-errors when thunar crashes?

annikos
December 3rd, 2012, 03:38 PM
Nothing jumps out at me in that log file to indicate a cause.

Do you have a crash report file created in /var/crash for thunar? If so, can you post the crash file?

Also, are there any error messages in ~/.xsession-errors when thunar crashes?

(Un)fortunately there is neither a crash report file in /var/crash nor any error message in ~/.xsession-errors for thunar. :confused:

Toz
December 3rd, 2012, 09:05 PM
Have you tested this crash in another user account (to rule out the possibility of a user configuration issue)?

If you are interested, here is a wiki article about debugging: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Backtrace and getting a backtrace.

It might be best to create a bug report over at bugzilla.xfce.org.

annikos
December 3rd, 2012, 10:12 PM
Guest account also has crashed Thunar.

So, I've got a backtrace it and send it to bugzilla (bug 9581), as you've suggested.

Thanks for all.