PDA

View Full Version : What say the collective?

kurt18947
December 2nd, 2012, 04:10 PM
I just finished repairing/reinstalling a Windows for a relative. It took the better part of a day. Do you think it would be fair to invoice for one of these?

It certainly caused a pain in the nether regions.

:P :P

Bucky Ball
December 2nd, 2012, 04:14 PM
Lol. I usually charge 'em a cooked meal and a coupla beers, but yea, I'll keep the pink rump ring in mind for next time!

oldos2er
December 2nd, 2012, 07:06 PM
I think it would be fair; the "charge" should be them allowing you to install an open source OS on their computer(s).

cbennett926
December 2nd, 2012, 07:11 PM
Lol. I usually charge 'em a cooked meal and a coupla beers, but yea, I'll keep the pink rump ring in mind for next time!

+1 to this, that and next time you need something, they better be willing the help

haqking
December 2nd, 2012, 09:05 PM
Apart from Brother and Daughter I charge everyone outside of work for anything IT related, flat rate of 50 per hour, minimum one hour charge.

It has the desired effect of no one asking me, those that really need to end up paying and its an easy 50 for me though I may still turn it down as i hate doing it, yet I will support online for free....go figure...LOL

Pay the cash or buy a book and learn something is my motto !

sdowney717
December 2nd, 2012, 09:08 PM
Tell them you only charge for MS windows repairs.
Linux is free, but if they abuse the privilege, then charge for that also.

nothingspecial
December 2nd, 2012, 09:12 PM
Apart from Brother and Daughter I charge everyone outside of work for anything IT related, flat rate of 50 per hour, minimum one hour charge.

It has the desired effect of no one asking me, those that really need to end up paying and its an easy 50 for me though I may still turn it down as i hate doing it, yet I will support online for free....go figure...LOL

Pay the cash or buy a book and learn something is my motto !

I happily fix my lawyer, plumber, mechanic, doctor and builder's computers for free ;)

haqking
December 2nd, 2012, 09:13 PM
if it starts to irritate then get one of thesehttps://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/zoom/will-not-fix.jpg
I have a couple of these but the language is more colourful

mike acker
December 2nd, 2012, 09:15 PM
I just finished repairing/reinstalling a Windows for a relative. It took the better part of a day. Do you think it would be fair to invoice for one of these?

It certainly caused a pain in the nether regions.

:P :P
:confused:

sometimes they have a recovery windows system that can be selected at boot-up and this can do a good job of recovering their data (I Use a USB hard drive ) --
and then re-formating their main partition ,re-installing their o/s , and restoring their data . it is definitely time consuming .

haqking
December 2nd, 2012, 09:16 PM
I happily fix my lawyer, plumber, mechanic, doctor and builder's computers for free ;)

Ha indeed, I learnt along time ago dont let anyone know what you can do, I usually say I have no clue when someone asks me something IT related.

A "friend" who is a plumber, many years ago had me do a few things on his computer here and there over the years, prob about 3 or 4 hours total I guess over a period of time, charged nothing of course.

Then i needed a quick pipe job doing, we already had the parts, it was just his time. I wasnt around, he came and did it in 45 minutes and charged my mother 70 and had the cheek to tell her he didnt charge for a few extra bits he needed such as clips etc.

He ruined it for everyone ! LOL

mike acker
December 2nd, 2012, 09:18 PM
if it starts to irritate then get one of thesehttps://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/zoom/will-not-fix.jpg
I have a couple of these but the language is more colourful

tee hee

need a hat with that on it

right now the thing is
Free the Reindeer

nothingspecial
December 2nd, 2012, 09:19 PM
The secret is to be a friend rather than a "friend".

QIII
December 2nd, 2012, 09:20 PM

I suspect it is not really "for free" when you expect a return in kind "for free" at a future date.

Let's just say you "lay up a barter credit account".

:)

haqking
December 2nd, 2012, 09:20 PM
The secret is to be a friend rather than a "friend".

he was at one time, air quotes follow him everywhere now ;-)

bouncingwilf
December 2nd, 2012, 10:15 PM
I try to avoid fixing other peoples computer gear but family are hard to refuse - In the old days, when they brought me radios, tv's etc to fix, The "If I can't fix it, can I have it for spares?" used to keep the demand low. Perhaps that's an approach that might still work.

Bouncingwilf

PhilGil
December 2nd, 2012, 11:19 PM
For friends and family I work for food (usually a restaurant meal).

I've been a Linux user for long enough now that I'm unable to fix a lot of Windows problems. This is a good thing.

KiwiNZ
December 2nd, 2012, 11:34 PM
I fix friends and family computers for free expecting nothing in return, however, what goes around comes around.

mamamia88
December 3rd, 2012, 01:22 AM
Here's my advice. If you are doing something kind for a family member and expect monetary compensation bring it up prior to doing the work. Otherwise just assume it's free.

Linuxratty
December 3rd, 2012, 04:09 AM
I've been a Linux user for long enough now that I'm unable to fix a lot of Windows problems. This is a good thing.

Same here.
I'd suggest whenever you do a repair you give them a duel boot..Sooner or later,they will have to have a look.

KiwiNZ
December 3rd, 2012, 04:53 AM
Same here.
I'd suggest whenever you do a repair you give them a duel boot..Sooner or later,they will have to have a look.

Loading a new or second OS on someones PC without consent is unethical, unprofessional and I regard as vandalism.

If I am repairing a PC unless asked otherwise by the owner I restore it to or as close to the state they had when it was working.

black veils
December 3rd, 2012, 12:24 PM
Loading a new or second OS on someones PC without consent is unethical, unprofessional and I regard as vandalism.

If I am repairing a PC unless asked otherwise by the owner I restore it to or as close to the state they had when it was working.

although reading stuff like that can be funny, i definitely agree with you.

i understand most people just want to show others their options, but the method is forceful, especially if it has already been declared they do not want to try something else, this is supposed to be about freedom of choice.