PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unity desktop 3D installed doesn't work although it did from Live CD

amanchesterman
December 2nd, 2012, 12:18 PM
I have used Xubuntu happily for a couple of years but I want to try out the Unity desktop with a view to switching to it. I tried Ubuntu 12.04 (same as my version of Xubuntu) from Live CD and it appeared to work perfectly so I installed the desktop using

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktopNo problems were reported with the installation, however when I log in now only Unity 2D works. If I select the 'Ubuntu' (3D) option at login the process stops with the desktop wallpaper: no panel, no launcher; and I have to log out to resume.

Can any one give advice as to what might be wrong? My computer is a middle aged Toshiba laptop, 32 bit, dual core Pentium processor, 2 GB RAM. The system info for 'graphics' says: 'driver - unknown' and 'experience - standard' -- is that a clue?

Thanks
John

elliotn
December 2nd, 2012, 12:24 PM
install compiz

elliotn
December 2nd, 2012, 12:25 PM
install compiz and ccsm

amanchesterman
December 2nd, 2012, 12:41 PM
Hi and thanks for your quick response.
The terminal reports that compiz is installed already. When I try to install ccsm it says: 'unable to locate package ccsm'. What do I do next?
Thanks, J.

amanchesterman
December 2nd, 2012, 02:50 PM
OK I found out how to install ccsm and did so, and activated the Unity plugin. But the Ubuntu desktop still won't start when I log in to the computer.

However Unity 2D and GNOME work fine, so at least I have alternatives to Xfce now.

Thanks
J

irv
December 2nd, 2012, 03:12 PM
From my own experience I found trying to run multiple desktop will sometimes give you problems. They seem to have files that conflict with one another. I found if you install Ubuntu with Unity first and then add other desktops things seem to work better. But when you start with Xfce and then install Unity it will give your problems.
What I do if I want to try different desktop I just install a fresh OS on a USB drive and run it from there. I tend to stick with one per install now.