PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] show icons in desktop pager?

tdlam
December 2nd, 2012, 06:57 AM
Hello all,
I really like Lubuntu and have tried other LXDE variants as well but like Lubuntu...anyway...there is one thing that is bothering me. On my Xubuntu laptop and my LINUX MINT MATE desktop tower when I am using their versions of "desktop pager" I see small icons of what is open in the little desktop windows (I use 4 as I use the laptop for work and have multiple things open at the same time) but in Lubuntu, there are no such Icons. It looks like this is particular to the LXDE desktop. I would like to switch to LUBUNTU full time for work as I have an older laptop and LUBUNTU really flies on it, but not being able to see the icons in the pager is a bit of a deal breaker for me. I have Googled the issue and other folks have asked the question (in the LXDE forums) but there are no answers. I was wondering if anyone has found a workaround?

Thanks in advance

Dennis N
December 2nd, 2012, 08:59 AM
Desktop Pager on Lubuntu 12.10 - this is from the default installation. Blue = current desktop; white squares represent open windows. You do have to remember what each is - there is no program-specific rendering. Minimized windows do not show.

tdlam
December 2nd, 2012, 04:10 PM
thanks and yeah thats what I am up against. As I said it gets hsrd when I have multiple items open across different desktops.
No "fix" for this?
I tried looking at tint2 panel but it seems too hard to configure...I then tried installing LXDE as a dual boot with XFCE and then replacing LXDE panel with the XFCE one and that worked like a champ, except I was not able to logout of LXDE at all after that. I kept getting an error message.

Dennis N
December 3rd, 2012, 01:13 AM
I see what you mean about program icons in XFCE - but only it seems when the program is maximized on that desktop - this is Xubuntu 12.04 I am looking at - otherwise no program icon inside.

Nice added touch, but I will take Lubuntu without the icons. Maybe Lubuntu will add this as a feature in the future.

tdlam
December 3rd, 2012, 03:44 AM
yes my friend. I should have been clearer...if a program is open then it will show up in the pager in XFCE and MATE and I hear it will in KDE as well although I haven’t verified this. It seems a simple thing to impliment yet its missing in LXDE.
Is there a way to request it?
As I am on a low resource laptop, LXDE really flies and would like to make the switch...but can't ATM because of my multi tasking requirements I stated above.

tdlam
December 6th, 2012, 11:25 PM
bump