PDA

View Full Version : Errr...a new system indicator icon, maybe?

serdotlinecho
November 30th, 2012, 05:51 PM
How about change this icon:

http://i.imgur.com/zxU6z.png

to:

http://i.imgur.com/0q4XA.png

steal that from Nitrotasks tool icons :-\"

MacUntu
December 1st, 2012, 09:12 AM
Why would you want to use a generic list/menu icon for the system indicator?

serdotlinecho
December 1st, 2012, 09:26 AM
Why would you want to use a generic list/menu icon for the system indicator?

Yeah, system should be gear-ish , right? I saw the recent changes in chromium/google chrome, they replaced the system settings wrench icon.
Hmm...why they replaced it? :-k

zombifier25
December 1st, 2012, 09:49 AM
Yeah, system should be gear-ish , right? I saw the recent changes in chromium/google chrome, they replaced the system settings wrench icon.
Hmm...why they replaced it? :-k

To make it consistent with the Android version (which uses 3 vertical dots)

serdotlinecho
December 1st, 2012, 10:00 AM
What is the name of this new 3 vertical lines? Hotdog? I kinda like it and looks user friendly to me.

qamelian
December 1st, 2012, 03:24 PM
What is the name of this new 3 vertical lines? Hotdog? I kinda like it and looks user friendly to me.
To me, it's a meaningless icon that tells me nothing about it's purpose. At least the current gear icon gives me a visual hint that it is related to Ubuntu's inner workings (all the settings hidden "under the hood"). As such, I think the current icon is much more meaningful. The first association I make with the bars and dots is a bullet list in a text document.

zombifier25
December 1st, 2012, 03:57 PM
To me, it's a meaningless icon that tells me nothing about it's purpose. At least the current gear icon gives me a visual hint that it is related to Ubuntu's inner workings (all the settings hidden "under the hood"). As such, I think the current icon is much more meaningful. The first association I make with the bars and dots is a bullet list in a text document.

This.

screaminj3sus
December 2nd, 2012, 01:57 AM
I like the current icon, it conveys its meaning well.

cariboo
December 2nd, 2012, 02:41 AM
I'm a die hard chromium user, and I agree the hotdog really doesn't convey any meaning to me. I miss the wrench, and I like the gear icon for Unity.

ELD
December 3rd, 2012, 01:26 PM
Also it looks very very similair to Mac's notification area icon...

kaldor
December 3rd, 2012, 02:19 PM
The current icon is incredibly bad, in my opinion. The artwork should be one or the other; not a merge of both. The power button icon wouldn't be the best choice (since it contains more than shut down options), so just a plain gear would be fine. Looks good that way in the Faenza icon theme.

I also agree with ELD- the icon looks like a button that does something entirely different on another mainstream OS. Might be a great way to cause confusion, especially given that they'd be in the same place on the screen.

Oh well. I'm just waiting for the new icons to begin rolling out :-)

ELD
December 3rd, 2012, 02:27 PM
Yeah i saw on omgubuntu new icons coming in they looked far better, can't wait to see them in the builds.

serdotlinecho
December 5th, 2012, 03:21 AM
I hope they not gonna use this cabinet thingy stuff on nautilus 13.04, rather prefer folders. I don't know, the public cabinet look funny to me :lolflag:
http://i.imgur.com/nkdOw.jpg

serdotlinecho
December 5th, 2012, 03:28 AM
The current icon is incredibly bad, in my opinion. The artwork should be one or the other; not a merge of both. The power button icon wouldn't be the best choice (since it contains more than shut down options), so just a plain gear would be fine. Looks good that way in the Faenza icon theme.

^^^ Faenza system indicator icon :)

kaldor
December 6th, 2012, 01:43 AM
I hope they not gonna use this cabinet thingy stuff on nautilus 13.04, rather prefer folders. I don't know, the public cabinet look funny to me :lolflag:
http://i.imgur.com/nkdOw.jpg

I agree, that looks horrible. It's also a weird metaphor (cabinets inside more cabinets!)

jerome1232
December 6th, 2012, 01:48 AM
I agree, that looks horrible. It's also a weird metaphor (cabinets inside more cabinets!)

Directories are often compared to cabinets in intro to computer type classes.... I don't see how having a cabinet inside a cabinet is any stranger than having a folder inside a folder...