PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Ubuntu 12.10 Windows Install: Ububtu not finding NTFS partition

backfour94
November 30th, 2012, 02:08 PM
Have just installed Ununtu 12.10 using the Windows install utility. All looks OK, apart from it not showing a link to the NTFS partition, i.e. where all the Windows files etc are.

Previously I loaded Ubuntu from a CD and it was fine with the drive appearing on the launch bar just after the floppy drive. But not now I've installed it.

This is probably just a matter of mapping it somehow but I assumed that thes install would pick up the drive in the same way that the CD boot did.

So any guidance is appreciated, thanks.

dino99
November 30th, 2012, 03:51 PM
you does not tell how that installation was made; so its hard to help. By default ubuntu find the other OS and deal with ntfs with no problem (via ntfs-3g). So no need to worry.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11843514&postcount=9

backfour94
November 30th, 2012, 04:09 PM
Sorry I installed using the Windows Installation Utility, i.e. the Windows Installer for Ubuntu Desktop.

darkod
November 30th, 2012, 04:44 PM
Installing wubi inside windows is not the same as a proper dual boot installation where ubuntu is on its own linux partition.

wubi is more like virtual machine inside windows.

Having said that, I think the ntfs partition that wubi is on is mounted as /host. Try looking into Filesystem and in /host.

In any case I suggest making a real dual boot instead of wubi.

arpanaut
November 30th, 2012, 04:50 PM
I am not familiar with wubi, but I recall people referring to a hosts folder where the win directories are located.

Edit: and slow....

backfour94
December 1st, 2012, 12:53 PM
Yep that's it (/host) thanks