PDA

View Full Version : I've never watched Dr Who

cbennett926
November 30th, 2012, 06:51 AM
I've never watched Dr Who, where should I start in order to get the best background, and should I watch the new episodes?

lisati
November 30th, 2012, 06:59 AM
I like some of the older episodes from the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s, but they might seem a little dated by today's standards. Call me old if you want, but I remember seeing some of them back when they were first broadcast. I've also been known to enjoy some of the more recent offerings.

As a side note, I was watching some of the TV coverage of the Hobbit premier the other day, and happened to catch an interview with Sylvester McCoy.

cbennett926
November 30th, 2012, 07:00 AM
I like some of the older episodes from the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s, but they might seem a little dated by today's standards. Call me old if you want, but I remember seeing some of them back when they were first broadcast. I've also been known to enjoy some of the more recent offerings.

As a side note, I was watching some of the TV coverage of the Hobbit premier the other day, and happened to catch an interview with Sylvester McCoy.

Words can't explain how excited I am for The Hobbit! On another note, how did you get the Ubuntu number in your sig? I tried and I just couldn't get it to work!

Giant Speck
November 30th, 2012, 07:11 AM
You don't abbreviate Doctor; it's his name, not his title. ;)

cbennett926
November 30th, 2012, 07:21 AM
Ah, I literally just learned that from the first episode I'm watching

lisati
November 30th, 2012, 07:31 AM
On another note, how did you get the Ubuntu number in your sig? I tried and I just couldn't get it to work!
I've had it for a while now, and got it from http://ubuntucounter.geekosophical.net/
- it looks like they haven't updated their list of versions for a couple of years now. As a rule, only forum staff are allowed images in the sigs here.

cbennett926
November 30th, 2012, 07:33 AM
I've had it for a while now, and got it from http://ubuntucounter.geekosophical.net/
- it looks like they haven't updated their list of versions for a couple of years now. As a rule, only forum staff are allowed images in the sigs here.

Ah I see, I am registered there and thus have he number below, I didn't know about the image rule.

I feel as though now is a bad time to get hooked on Doctor Who, next week is our finals week here...

Jakin
November 30th, 2012, 07:54 AM
My step father got me into Doctor Who, about the age of 8 or 9 (also hitch-hikers guide- thats another story) I started out with Tom Baker (the 4th) and carried on from there. Of the recent years i haven't watched much of Smith.. but the previous Doctor (David Tennant, the 10th) was brilliant.

Doctor Who is great show to get into :)

standingwave
November 30th, 2012, 08:25 AM
I started back in the seventies with Tom Baker (#4) but for someone who has never seen it before I would recommend they begin with the 2005 reboot. It had been off the air for 16 years by that point (save for a TV movie in 1996) so reintroductions were in order. You won't be lost as everything will be explained as you go along.

Start with Series 1 (2005) and proceed from there:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Doctor_Who_serials#Ninth_Doctor

All three of the latest incarnations of the doctor (Eccleston, Tennant and Smith) are terrific and each brings something different to the role.

Enjoy.

cbennett926
November 30th, 2012, 08:27 AM
I started back in the seventies with Tom Baker (#4) but for someone who has never seen it before I would recommend they begin with the 2005 reboot. It had been off the air for 16 years by that point (save for a TV movie in 1996) so reintroductions were in order. You won't be lost as everything will be explained as you go along.

Start with Series 1 (2005) and proceed from there:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Doctor_Who_serials#Ninth_Doctor

All three of the latest incarnations of the doctor (Eccleston, Tennant and Smith) are terrific and each brings something different to the role.

Enjoy.

I'm watching Eccleston right now and I love it! I feel like I've missed out on so much!

deadflowr
November 30th, 2012, 09:12 AM
I hope you enjoy the show.
It's a great show, albeit campy, but if you enjoy campy you'll like this show.

I like campy.

ibjsb4
November 30th, 2012, 12:03 PM
When the show first got its start, the actors would scroung around the studio and build there own stage.

coldraven
November 30th, 2012, 12:47 PM
I'm watching Eccleston right now and I love it! I feel like I've missed out on so much!

A classic line with Eccleston:
"You are just from the North" (referring to his northern UK accent)
Eccleston: "Every planet has a North!"

BTW I'm old enough to have seen all the series and I still enjoy it.
It was genuinely scary as a small child.

fugazi32
November 30th, 2012, 04:21 PM
William Hartnell: An Unearthly Child / The Daleks / The Dalek Invasion of Earth
Patrick Troughton: The Tomb of the Cybermen / The Mind Robber
Jon Pertwee: The Time Warrior / Death to the Daleks
Tom Baker: Pyramids of Mars / The Robots of Death
Peter Davison: The Five Doctors / The Caves of Androzani
Colin Baker: Revelation of the Daleks
Sylvester McCoy: Remembrance of the Daleks / The Curse of Fenric
Paul McGann: The TV Movie
Christopher Eccleston: Rose / Dalek
David Tennant: Gridlock / Silence in the Library / Forest of the Dead
Matt Smith: Victory of the Daleks / Amy's Choice / The Doctor's Wife

Linuxratty
November 30th, 2012, 04:31 PM
I like some of the older episodes from the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s,

Same here...I really did not care for the modern one.

Frogs Hair
November 30th, 2012, 04:31 PM
PBS was the only supporter of Dr Who in my area but there are other ways to watch. I used to enjoy Dr Who but have not seen it lately.

speedwell68
November 30th, 2012, 08:55 PM
I started with Tom Baker in the 70s. But have wathched all of the reruns of the earlier Doctors and of course the spin off Doctors, such as Peter Cushing and Richard E Grant.

haqking
November 30th, 2012, 09:25 PM
I started with Tom Baker in the 70s. But have wathched all of the reruns of the earlier Doctors and of course the spin off Doctors, such as Peter Cushing and Richard E Grant.

Tom baker was the 4th doctor. Its started in the 60's

as for his name mentioned above, no one knows his actual name nor whether he is a Dr, there has been references in certain episodes to him being a Medical Dr but then denied in others, his actual name is an ongoing question.

Edit: Whoops sorry didnt read your post properly, excuse me ;-)

standingwave
November 30th, 2012, 09:42 PM
PBS was the only supporter of Dr Who in my area but there are other ways to watch. I used to enjoy Dr Who but have not seen it lately.
If you want to sample the new series without watching them all, might I suggest:

Rose (101) Where it all began again. The first episode of the new series.

The Girl in the Fireplace (204) Won a Hugo award, deservedly so, IMO.

Blink (310) Fans point to this as the best single episode of the new series. The Weeping Angels are always fun. Another Hugo award.

Silence in the Library / Forest of the Dead (408/9) Two parter that introduces fan favorite part-time companion River Song.

The Doctor’s Wife (604) Written by Neil Gaiman. Most of season six was heavily serialized with one long arc but TDW is a fun standalone story. And another Hugo award.

sffvba[e0rt
November 30th, 2012, 10:44 PM
I have never seen as episode of Doctor Who, which is sad as I do love Sci-fi and most British shows...

PS - On a side note, I just finished reading The Hobbit, now to go watch it on the Big Screen

cbennett926
December 1st, 2012, 07:17 AM
I have never seen as episode of Doctor Who, which is sad as I do love Sci-fi and most British shows...

PS - On a side note, I just finished reading The Hobbit, now to go watch it on the Big Screen

It's all on netflix instant queue I definitely recommend it

As for your Hobbitry, congrats! Now make sure you watch the old 1970's movie before you go!

quiksilverlives
December 1st, 2012, 08:13 AM
I'm a huge Whovian, but I started all out of order (or timey-wimey as the Doctor would say). The first episode I saw was actually "The Doctor's Wife" by Neil Gaiman, which was previously suggested as one of the best. So for me, Matt Smith is my Doctor, and as much as I love Eccleston and Tennant and Tom Baker, Matt Smith will always be my Doctor.

I do think watching straight through from the beginning of the reboot with Ecceleston is the way to go, honestly. I enjoyed it immensely, and still go back and rewatch entire seasons.

mips
December 1st, 2012, 11:51 AM

I'm not a fan although I've tried to watch it a few times. I did however enjoy the special they did called The Waters of Mars (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Waters_of_Mars)

Bandit
December 1st, 2012, 04:55 PM

Jelly Belly Anyone??

I would at least start with Tom Baker series, he's the 4th Dr. But Jon Potre (3rd) was pretty good as well. Tom Baker series IMHO is the most memorable to me growing up. He brought a certain feel, a life to the series that made it stand out. Not to mention a great deal of comedy.

Bart_D
December 1st, 2012, 07:11 PM
I've never watched Dr Who, where should I start in order to get the best background, and should I watch the new episodes?

Dude, what's Dr. Who?

cbennett926
December 1st, 2012, 07:29 PM
Dude, what's Dr. Who?

Doctor Who is a science fiction drama series. It follows the life of an Alien of whom looks and acts 100% like a normal human, other than his super ability of intelligence. He also has a space ship called a TARDIS (Time and Relative Dimension in Space) which is also a time machine. It was highly popularized in BBC culture since ~1960 and recently gained popularity in the US.

Swagman
December 2nd, 2012, 11:31 AM
One thing that should be bared in mind is that it was a show/series specifically aimed at youngsters and it did a pretty good job of scaring the bejesus out of us !!

I started out with Patrick Troughton (I was born in 1961) but remember Jon Pertwee the best.

The Doctor(s) and the Brigadier

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXEphaqrtYQ

Elfy
December 2nd, 2012, 11:40 AM

I started out with Patrick Troughton (I was born in 1961) but remember Jon Pertwee the best...

Same here.

You'll be remembering bubble-wrap aliens and the like then :p

Swagman
December 2nd, 2012, 11:42 AM
Haha...Yeah. And the Cybermen

coldraven
December 2nd, 2012, 02:05 PM
In the UK there is a long running children's show called Blue Peter. Apart from entertainment they would show you how to make things, usually from household packaging etc.

Many many moons ago my friend and I were total Dalek nerds and were so excited when Blue Peter announced that they would show us how to make a Dalek next week.
All week we discussed how fantastic this would be, we couldn't wait for the show to air.

The big day came and what a disappointment it was!
The "Dalek" was to be made of four egg trays, the sort that hold 36 eggs, taped into four sides of a cube. Then two pieces of string to act as shoulder braces.
Finally the kitchen sink plunger as a Dalek arm.
You were supposed to get inside the box with the string over your shoulders and brandish the plunger whilst "exterminating" everyone.

We were so upset at this lame construction that we never watched Blue Peter again :(

I also remember seeing a Dr. Who film at the cinema in which we got the first glimpse of the creature inside the Dalek exoskeleton. Someone will know what year that was.

Swagman
December 2nd, 2012, 03:14 PM
if memory serves me correctly that "something" inside the Dalek was a black oozy kind of blob ?

oldrocker99
December 3rd, 2012, 03:41 PM
I started watching the Doctor 30-odd years ago, during the Tom Baker (4th Doctor) years, featuring the #1 Compainion Ever, Sarah Jane Smith (played by the lovely Elizabeth Sladen (R.I.P). Ms. Sladen kept playing Sarah Jane until her recent untimely death.

I loved the show, even when it had a $17.48 per episode special effects budget, because of the STORIES.

The 2005 reboot (after nearly 20 years off the air, during which time the Doctor Who Magazine kept on publishing monthly, to give some idea of just how popular the show is in Old Blighty) introduced (among other things) great special effects, which just made the show even better for me. Christopher Eccleston (of the big ears) played a good Doctor, but left after one season. David Tennant was utterly brilliant for five seasons, during which the scariest DW monsters ever, the Weeping Angels, were introduced.

Matt Smith, the current Doctor, is someone I like in the role; he shows a bit more of the Doctor's anger as well as his loneliness.

In England, if a 75 year old grandmother gets a pair of Dalek salt and pepper shakers, she'll know immediately what they are. In the US, Doctor Who is still a cult (but growing). In England, it's part of the culture.

ibjsb4
December 3rd, 2012, 03:48 PM
You'll be remembering bubble-wrap aliens and the like then :p

Thats when I started watching; it was the best comedy on PBS.

Bandit
December 3rd, 2012, 09:41 PM
if memory serves me correctly that "something" inside the Dalek was a black oozy kind of blob ?

That is the Dalek. It controls the "tank" body of the whole Dalek. They were created to be a master race by one of the time lords gone bad if my memory serves me correctly.

Artemis3
December 6th, 2012, 08:55 PM
Thanks to the Internet (would be impossible here otherwise), I have been watching all of the classic episodes which survived, and the fan made reconstructions (slideshows). I'm about to reach Tom Baker.

As for other shows, i tried the first serial of "Sapphire & Steel" and was bored to death, so, no :)

Bandit
December 7th, 2012, 01:22 AM
Thanks to the Internet (would be impossible here otherwise), I have been watching all of the classic episodes which survived, and the fan made reconstructions (slideshows). I'm about to reach Tom Baker.

As for other shows, i tried the first serial of "Sapphire & Steel" and was bored to death, so, no :)

Awesome, your gonna love the Tom Baker series.. Jelly Belly anyone?