PDA

View Full Version : Black windows in WINE

Dryer Lint
July 4th, 2006, 05:12 PM
I reinstalled Wine recently (latest version from winehq.com repo) and now I have a very strange problem:

It works as usual and I can run regular programs and see the menus and buttons, etc.

But games will just show a black window. For example when I run Cave Story in windowed mode, I can hear the sound and see the menu bar, but the part where the actual game should be visible is just black. Same goes for all other games I tried. (maybe this has something to do with DirectDraw/Overlay?)

I'm using a Radeon x1300 with the latest Ati drivers.

If anybody has an idea how I can fix this, I'd be very happy!

Indras
July 4th, 2006, 06:14 PM
I get the same problem trying to run System Shock 2, but I have a feeling it's because I'm running XGL.

Dryer Lint
July 4th, 2006, 11:05 PM
I get the same problem trying to run System Shock 2, but I have a feeling it's because I'm running XGL.

Just for the protocol: I'm not running XGL (although I wish I did! :P).

SpikeyLozenge
February 6th, 2007, 05:24 PM
I am also having the same problem. Downloaded the latest version using apt-get, and ran winecfg. Installed the program fine. Upon running the program, it will start, open up in a 640x480 window with menu buttons, I have sound, but no video.

I am running on a laptop with GeForce 5200x Go (64 MB Vid. Ram), 512 MB Ram

Running Beryl 0.20.0 (Or the latest, in case I have the version number wrong, I installed using the instructions posted in the forum Sticky)

Any Ideas? I have not tried other games, but if it is a compatibility issue with Beryl, I can see how it would affect it.

eeclark
November 18th, 2007, 04:03 AM
I am having the same problem.wine-0.9.46

hikaricore
November 18th, 2007, 04:07 AM
Responding to a nearly year old thread with the likes of "yea me too" is useless.

Make a new thread describing your problem in detail.
More than likely you just neet to install the proper video drivers for your hardware.

Thread closed.