PDA

View Full Version : copy complete OS to DVD?

harlie
November 30th, 2012, 12:19 AM
Can I copy the complete Ubuntu 12.04 OS including all current updates to a DVD?

I have the install disk but of course it has none of the updates so is not a very good backup. It seems possible to have the system wrecked some how and need a full backup of the OS. I have backups of the home folder so no problem there.

Harlie

robert shearer
November 30th, 2012, 12:39 AM
Yes, using remastersys

http://www.geekconnection.org/remastersys/index.html

harlie
November 30th, 2012, 10:19 PM
Yes, using remastersys

http://www.geekconnection.org/remastersys/index.html

Thank you I will check it out.
Harlie

ugm6hr
November 30th, 2012, 11:40 PM
Or you could just backup /var/cache/apt/archives
It is where all your debs are saved from update manager / synaptic / software centre etc.
Restoring just requires copying the files back to the same location and running an upgrade

harlie
December 2nd, 2012, 12:48 AM
Or you could just backup /var/cache/apt/archives
It is where all your debs are saved from update manager / synaptic / software centre etc.
Restoring just requires copying the files back to the same location and running an upgrade

Thanks I will look at this too as a beginner I will look for the simplest one.

Harlie

robert shearer
December 2nd, 2012, 03:35 AM
The backup option of /var/cache/apt/archives
will allow you to reinstate all your applications and updates to a fresh install.

Remastersys does this and allows you to personalise the disc so your reinstallation has all the tweaks and desktop settings you may have modified from the standard install.

Why don't you try both as a learning experience..?
:)

harlie
December 8th, 2012, 01:15 AM
The backup option of /var/cache/apt/archives
will allow you to reinstate all your applications and updates to a fresh install.

Remastersys does this and allows you to personalise the disc so your reinstallation has all the tweaks and desktop settings you may have modified from the standard install.

Why don't you try both as a learning experience..?
:)

I installed Remastersys and at the same setting installed Synaptic then my computer locked up and could do nothing at all I had to reinstall an earlier release and erase 12.04
so I had no luck I don't know which of the downloads caused the problem but I doubt it was synaptic. So now I am shy of Remastersys.

Harlie