PDA

View Full Version : sell me on a plan of action

kadymae
July 4th, 2006, 04:40 PM
Got up this morning prepared to fix my bork'd Opera install by hand and decided, nah, let's set up Gil-Estel as a dual boot machine and, for the adventure of it, let's install Xubuntu and see what that's like.

Plopped in my 10.4 dvd and that's when the DVD player decided to die on me. It won't read any disk dropped in the drive.

Facts

Gil-Estel is a 6 year old PowerBook. In addition to the dead DVD drive, the screen is also starting to die. But other than that he runs like a champ and, damnit, has the best laptop keyboard ever. Also, he runs cool -- doesn't burn my lap or fry my fingers.

ETA: Gil-Estel is running Ubuntu 6.06. Boots just fine.

Options

<s>Steal iBook back out of husband's cold, dead, hands and set it up as a dual boot.</s>

1) Buy a replacement DVD drive from PBfixit or a reputable eBayer. Cost -- about $100.

2) Tap savings and get a new laptop from System 76* -- about $900 with the options I want.

If #2:

a) Suck it up and take the money out of savings.
b) Get a no-interest loan from my employer and pay them back $100/mo.

(Also, System 76ers, how's the Pangolin on heat and how good is the keyboard for typing?)

---
* System 76 or other independent Linux Laptop seller. I want to support the little guy and the pre-installed Linux movement. (While I certainly have the technical know how to go to Frys, get a laptop, download and burn my Ubuntu ISO, then wipe XP off, I try to support Mordorsoft as little as possible.)

GuitarHero
July 4th, 2006, 06:40 PM
get the system 76

Engnome
July 4th, 2006, 07:18 PM
How bout:

3) Boot from usb hdd or network. Dunno if this works on mac's maybe not that old ones...

if not +1 for a system76

kadymae
July 4th, 2006, 09:10 PM
How bout:

3) Boot from usb hdd or network. Dunno if this works on mac's maybe not that old ones...

if not +1 for a system76

The machine boots fine. It's running Dapper right now. I'll probably keep using it until the day comes that the screen dies, the hard drive won't spin up, or the logic board dies. And while I do have external hard drive enclosures, I don't have an external CD/DVD drive. (Nor am I sure how to do a network install -- no other system in the house has Linux on it.)

bjweeks
August 12th, 2006, 04:33 AM
Another Great Place for Linux computers is

www.fossystems.com

Buy & Sell free open source systems

Could you stop spamming your company?

Stew2
August 12th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Sounds like you still like your old laptop. If it does what you want and you like the keyboard etc. I would go with option number 1. 1) Buy a replacement DVD drive from PBfixit or a reputable eBayer. Cost -- about $100.
Saves you $800 over option number two and is much more legal than killing your husband for the ibook :D .

Regards,
Stew2