PDA

View Full Version : Should I dump my VGA monitor?

mcapri76
November 29th, 2012, 12:58 PM
Hi guys

I am running Mythbuntu connected to my living room plasma (HDMI via Nvidia discrete card). I normally SSH/VNC into it for any activity so the VGA monitor attached to the system is redundant.

Is there any drawback in getting rid of the monitor altogether and managing everything either remotely or from the plasma??

Thanks

thatguruguy
November 29th, 2012, 01:11 PM
Hi guys

I am running Mythbuntu connected to my living room plasma (HDMI via Nvidia discrete card). I normally SSH/VNC into it for any activity so the VGA monitor attached to the system is redundant.

Is there any drawback in getting rid of the monitor altogether and managing everything either remotely or from the plasma??

Thanks

Dump it. Use it as a doorstop.

TeamRocket1233c
November 29th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Ditch the old VGA monitor.

BrokenKingpin
November 29th, 2012, 02:56 PM
Since you have two other display methods (plus SSH), I see no reason to keep the VGA monitor plugged into it. It is just a waste of space.

Erik1984
November 29th, 2012, 03:01 PM
Is it a flat panel or a heavy CRT one? If CRT > dump, if flat > store it. Computer monitors sometimes just die so it's good to have a replacement, even if it's not as good it's better than no monitor. Laptop screens can also be fragile, another use case for your old monitor.

Statia
November 29th, 2012, 03:04 PM
The nineties called, they want their tube back.
8)

TeamRocket1233c
November 29th, 2012, 03:14 PM
:lol: I have an old PII, CRT monitor and everything, sitting in my room as a doorstop, due to being decommissioned in favor of better hardware.

mcapri76
November 29th, 2012, 03:26 PM
Thanks folks, I thought to check before making a big mistake.

:)

Ubun2to
November 29th, 2012, 10:13 PM
I have a collection of old hardware. If I have to fix a computer that is so old that I can not find parts for it online (or ridiculously expensive), I sell them my used stuff.

szymon_g
November 30th, 2012, 02:20 AM
give it to less fortunate.

MadmanRB
November 30th, 2012, 02:29 AM
Personally I would keep it around if it works and is light enough and it might be good as a backup.

Bandit
November 30th, 2012, 03:18 AM
I would not just dump it. They are a huge environmental hazard. But all honestly I have had less headaches since going flat panel displays. I would donate it to the Salvation Army, then come back a week later and watch them try to sell it for 200 bucks.. :popcorn:

Ubun2to
December 1st, 2012, 03:35 AM
I would donate it to the Salvation Army, then come back a week later and watch them try to sell it for 200 bucks.. :popcorn:

Capitalism in a nutshell.