PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Computer name changed unexpectedly

faabiioo
November 29th, 2012, 12:00 PM
Hi,

today I've seen again this weird behaviour. I turn on my PC after a normal shut-down, open the terminal, and I notice the oddity: instead of

fabio@fabuntu:~$ it has changed to
fabio@mySurname-ws:~$.

is there a reason for this? and is there a way to fix it?

well, nothing severe here, but it is not the first time it happens, and it eventually turns back to the right string.

I'd appreciate a clarification...
thanks

The Cog
November 29th, 2012, 12:27 PM
Is your PC using DHCP?
I wonder if the DHCP server is allocating it a name as well as an IP address occasionally. I have no idea how to prove whether or not this is what's happening though.

faabiioo
November 29th, 2012, 03:35 PM
Well, I do use the DHPC server but I don't see why and how it could change the name. And, I dont know if this might sound clever but, I'm in a kind of enterprise LAN, thus my IP is always the same

as I said, this already happened before, every time it changed in the very same way, and then back to normality somehow (kind of frightening!).

howefield
November 29th, 2012, 03:45 PM
In terminal type

gksudo gedit /etc/hostname

Enter your password when prompted, edit as required.

Again in terminal, do the same to the /etc/hosts file, making sure the name matched what you put into the first file.

gksudo gedit /etc/hosts

Then save and reboot.

faabiioo
November 29th, 2012, 06:11 PM
Everything seems fine with these files. In hostname there's "FabUntU" as it should be, and the second file lists:
"127.0.0.1 localhost"
"127.0.1.1 FabUntU"

and some lines about desirable IPv6 capable hosts. is there something to be changed here?

faabiioo
December 1st, 2012, 12:25 PM
Well, just to mention, as I'm the one who started this topic: this morning everything went back to the right names. without me doing anything but normally shut down and power on this morning,

Well, as I wrote, nothing severe, but I think it is a rather weird behaviour, not quite desirable

thanks anyway