PDA

View Full Version : Apache short url

MocroNL
November 29th, 2012, 10:28 AM
Hello.

I would like to make a "Short Url" in apache2 so I dont have to typ tls-ams-sgr-01/blablabla and just bla/ and get to the page.

I have made a CNAME in bind, but now I have to configure something in apache2 but I dont know what, where and how.

If someone could point me to the right direction.

Thanks in advance!

slickymaster
November 29th, 2012, 11:10 AM
The recommended way to setup short URLs in Apache is by editing the Apache config files. This requires that you have access to the server configuration. If you are on a shared host, you most likely don't and will need to use a .htaccess file instead. Using .htaccess files is less efficient and doesn't give you as much control when it comes to fancy setups with multiple domains but they are powerful enough to set up most short url configurations.

Most linux distributions setup Apache with set of sites-available/ and sites-enabled/ folders setup. The correct config file to edit is the one in /etc/apache2/sites-available/ where the configuration for your wiki has been setup. If you haven't set one up and are using the default /var/www for your wiki setup then you can edit /etc/apache2/sites-available/default.

MocroNL
November 29th, 2012, 11:57 AM
Thank you for the reply.

I have checked the sites-available/default but I got no clue what to do there. And where is htaccess located? I cannot find it in de apache map.

Do you have a simple tutorial I can follow? It would make my life easier :)

Kind regards

slickymaster
November 29th, 2012, 12:09 PM
See if this can help you: Manual:Short URL/Apache (http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Short_URL/Apache).

MocroNL
November 29th, 2012, 02:19 PM
Already have tried to find something useful in that wiki page. It explains some of the things but not how you get the job done..

But thank you anyway.

If there is someone with a useful guide, howto or tutorial I could really use that.

Kind regards

pkadeel
November 29th, 2012, 02:22 PM
one question; Do you intend to use those short urls for local use or internet use?
If all you want is local use then you need virtual host setup which is very easy. Is that what you want?

MocroNL
November 29th, 2012, 02:35 PM
Yes! sorry I did not mention that.....

It is just for local use.

Kind regards.

pkadeel
November 29th, 2012, 02:52 PM
create a new file using a text editor like gedit and put following code in it

<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName s1.loc
ServerAdmin admin@s1.loc
DocumentRoot /var/www/site1
<Directory /var/www/site1/>
Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
AllowOverride All
Order Deny,Allow
Allow from all
</Directory>
DirectoryIndex index.html
ErrorLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/site1-error.log
CustomLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/site1-access.log" combined
</VirtualHost>
Save this file in your Documents folder and name it 'site1'
"/var/www/site1" folder must be present before proceeding. You can use any path on your computer where you want to keep the files related to this site. if this path is not present then then create it first.
Now in terminal do

cd ~/Documents
sudo cp site1 /etc/apache2/sites-available/site1
sudo a2ensite site1
sudo service apache2 restart
gksu gedit /etc/hosts
after last command gedit will open a file with few lines containing

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.1.1 tls-ams-sgr-01
and few other linesadd to that file and save it. Do not remove any thing already present in that file.

127.0.0.1 s1.loc
now in your browser type http://s1.loc (http://s1.loc)

MocroNL
November 29th, 2012, 03:17 PM
Thank you for the reply! I will try this in a moment.

But is this the way to make a link like tls-ams-sgr-01/SugarCRM. Because its an already working link.

To just sugarcrm/ ??

Kind regards

pkadeel
November 29th, 2012, 03:24 PM
Thank you for the reply! I will try this in a moment.

But is this the way to make a link like tls-ams-sgr-01/SugarCRM

To just sugarcrm/ ??

Kind regards
Yes. my post above replace all occurrences of "s1.loc" and "site1" with "sugarcrm".
I assume that you have a folder named "SugarCRM" in /var/www. Also rename that folder to "sugarcrm"

MocroNL
December 14th, 2012, 02:50 PM
Mission completed !

Thanks guys.