PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] missing progams

Big_Kiwi
November 29th, 2012, 08:47 AM
hi all, I am running Ubuntu 11.10, and have down loaded some card ganesfrom the Ubuntu software center but can not find them to play Any Idea where thay could be located, also I downloaded and installed Skype but can not find the progam, can any one help me find my missing progams

sudodus
November 29th, 2012, 08:59 AM
If you know the name of each program, you can start it from a terminal window for example

If you installed the programs in a proper way you should find programs with a graphical user interface somewhere in the menu system or in Dash if you are using Unity (click on the symbol in the top left corner ...).

Skype belongs to 'Internet Programs' ...

Big_Kiwi
November 30th, 2012, 02:49 AM
Ok thanks for that but What is "unity" I am running Ubuntu 11.10 is there any where I can see a list of progams installed on my system like you can under windows, I installed a progan called "light and eyed candy doc" from the ubuntu software progams but again I can not see the progam any where to activite, what am I doing rong:confused:

gnusci
November 30th, 2012, 03:12 AM
Press the following keys

<SUPER> + <A>

Then write the name of the program you need.

PS: <SUPER> = <Windows key>

sudodus
November 30th, 2012, 07:07 AM
Ok thanks for that but What is "unity" I am running Ubuntu 11.10 is there any where I can see a list of progams installed on my system like you can under windows, I installed a progan called "light and eyed candy doc" from the ubuntu software progams but again I can not see the progam any where to activite, what am I doing rong:confused:

Yes, I think you are running Unity, which is the standard desktop environment of Ubuntu 11.10 (and newer versions). Click on the symbol in the top left corner or use the Super key as suggested by gnusci! Dare to click on various symbols, and find out what happens!

It is also possible to get a terminal window from a key combination:

ctrl + alt + t

and then you can type the name of a program or command (finish with the ENTER key),

"light and eyed candy doc" might be a document file. Once you can navigate in your computer, we can help you find it.

Big_Kiwi
November 30th, 2012, 09:16 AM
Thanks Guys you are awsome, You guys rock :)