PDA

View Full Version : A completely relevant question about website CMS's

*^kyfds(
November 28th, 2012, 10:52 PM
I'm trying to set up a review site to write for in my free time.

I can't be bothered to register on a bunch of different content management system forums to find suggestions, so i just decided to post here.

I've tried both joomla and drupal and i've found it very difficult to adapt them both to form a review site.

If anyone can give me any suggestions for another CMS, or give me some tips on setting up my site in drupal or joomla, i'd be grateful.

Thanks in advance,

thehumorouscheese.

synaptix
November 28th, 2012, 10:56 PM
WordPress: http://wordpress.org/

*^kyfds(
November 28th, 2012, 11:01 PM
WordPress: http://wordpress.org/

I've already had a go at that.

It seems to be more useful for blogging than for articles, and i failed at trying to adapt it

samalex
November 28th, 2012, 11:32 PM
Check out some of the variants of Druple made for News. openpublishapp.com is one, or check theopensourcenewspaper.org for a list of news sites that run on Druple.

It's complicated, but it's probably your best option. You said you've tried it, but a clean Druple site could be confusing to configure.

snowpine
November 29th, 2012, 12:08 AM
the top three by far are: wordpress, drupal, joomla.
Wordpress is arguably the easiest, and not just for blogging (it has many plugins and can be infinitely customized)

mastablasta
November 29th, 2012, 07:47 AM
what not just get a theme/template for news site or similar and use that? thta way you do not have to configure everything form scratch.

btw no pain no gain.

*^kyfds(
November 29th, 2012, 07:02 PM
having another go at wordpress right now.

any suggestions on newspaper plugins/ optimisation?

*^kyfds(
December 1st, 2012, 11:44 PM
bump.

WordPress seems to be working well, although i'm having a little bit of trouble setting up article thumbnails for my theme.

:S

Version Dependency
December 2nd, 2012, 05:46 AM
Wordpress is definitely the easiest as far as learning curve. And if you are building your standard blog/article/product review website, it would be the best choice. Joomla has a bit steeper learning curve but is great for building larger portal/community-type sites.