PDA

View Full Version : Customized Ubuntu for Chemical Computing

derbaschti
July 4th, 2006, 01:13 PM
Hi, I work in a research group that focusses on computational chemistry. We are about to buy several new PCs which I convinced my boss to run under Ubuntu.

Now there are several issues that I would like to ask about:

- For displaying the molecules we work on in 3D we need high-end graphics cards. Any suggestions on which particular models work best with Ubuntu?

- I would like to customize an installation CD which the scientists can use to install their systems themselves. There are several packages in the standard installation we don't need, several others have to be fetched from the repositories and some more are on CDs supplied by software vendors. I thought about appending some script wrapped around apt-get that gets the repo-packages and then prompts the user to insert the vendor-CDs I mentioned before. How can I append something like that to the installation routine?

Thanks for your help,

Sebastian

Mr.X
July 4th, 2006, 02:05 PM
Hi, I work in a research group that focusses on computational chemistry. We are about to buy several new PCs which I convinced my boss to run under Ubuntu.

Now there are several issues that I would like to ask about:

- For displaying the molecules we work on in 3D we need high-end graphics cards. Any suggestions on which particular models work best with Ubuntu?
Get an nVidia card, these work the best, and the drivers are fantastic for Linux/Ubuntu ive heard :D

- I would like to customize an installation CD which the scientists can use to install their systems themselves. There are several packages in the standard installation we don't need, several others have to be fetched from the repositories and some more are on CDs supplied by software vendors. I thought about appending some script wrapped around apt-get that gets the repo-packages and then prompts the user to insert the vendor-CDs I mentioned before. How can I append something like that to the installation routine?
You could just burn the Ubuntu CD for them then just put the extra software you will need onto the disk? :P
Thanks for your help,

Sebastian

Hope i helped a little, ;).

derbaschti
July 4th, 2006, 03:51 PM
Sure! Every little bit helps... :D