PDA

View Full Version : How to track computer and obtain video evidence if stolen

stephenran
November 27th, 2012, 04:37 AM
Alright, so this is kind of a long story, today is super stressful and busy, but to top it off I have reason to believe that I might be robbed in the next few days. The concern isn't HUGE to the point where I'm worried about safety, but without getting into details I'll just say that it's a possibility, and cannot afford to lose my computer/belongings.

Now I'm looking to setup motion detecting software on my computer because I know who the guy is that might break in, and the only proof I would need to get my things back is some video from my webcam (at least I would hope so). I would want to be able to save my files to my ubuntu one cloud drive so that if my computer was stolen i'd still have the video.

Now my question is, has anyone used such software in a linux environment before, and if so can you recommend something reliable? I have used these on windows before and I remember going through two different unreliable programs before finding one that worked. If someone could give me some recommendations I'd appreciate it greatly, because I don't have much time to experiment with it as it stands.

Thank you so much, and I apologize if this comes off as a little crazy... I'm just pretty stressed and in a bad situation at the moment.

lykwydchykyn
November 27th, 2012, 04:44 AM
I've used one called "motion" before, it's in the repositories. It's a command-line thing you can just launch from a tty or from rc.local, but it can run in the background and take pictures/videos whenever motion is detected in a frame.

We used it a few years ago to catch someone stealing coffee from our break room at work.

sandyd
November 27th, 2012, 04:56 AM
Alright, so this is kind of a long story, today is super stressful and busy, but to top it off I have reason to believe that I might be robbed in the next few days. The concern isn't HUGE to the point where I'm worried about safety, but without getting into details I'll just say that it's a possibility, and cannot afford to lose my computer/belongings.

Now I'm looking to setup motion detecting software on my computer because I know who the guy is that might break in, and the only proof I would need to get my things back is some video from my webcam (at least I would hope so). I would want to be able to save my files to my ubuntu one cloud drive so that if my computer was stolen i'd still have the video.

Now my question is, has anyone used such software in a linux environment before, and if so can you recommend something reliable? I have used these on windows before and I remember going through two different unreliable programs before finding one that worked. If someone could give me some recommendations I'd appreciate it greatly, because I don't have much time to experiment with it as it stands.

Thank you so much, and I apologize if this comes off as a little crazy... I'm just pretty stressed and in a bad situation at the moment.
http://preyproject.com/

CharlesA
November 27th, 2012, 05:09 AM
http://preyproject.com/

This.

@OP: If someone is making threats or anything, take it to the police.

monkeybrain2012
November 27th, 2012, 05:24 AM
This is a simple tutorial to set up motion and upload the captured videos to dropbox. You can easily modify the steps for Ubuntu One.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzrXJLdNHwM

Prey is also a very good idea.

Toz
November 27th, 2012, 05:35 AM
We have jailed two posts regarding guns and violence. Lets please refrain from these types of posts and focus on a technology solution for the OP.

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
November 27th, 2012, 06:09 AM
We have jailed two posts regarding guns and violence. Lets please refrain from these types of posts and focus on a technology solution for the OP.
you do know a gun is technology, you should specify computer technology
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/technology

that said the OP does have the right to defend there self, evidence does not help you if you don't survive, if the thief knows your schedule, they will make there attempt when you are not there, unless they intend to cause you harm

home security systems are a good deterrent, you can get signs on ebay if you want to bluff, you can also buy fake (decoy) cameras

Put a heavy safe somewhere with a troll face picture in it, will slow them down, add a stink bomb trap

cbennett926
November 27th, 2012, 06:16 AM
This.

@OP: If someone is making threats or anything, take it to the police.

Congratulations, I now have Prey on all 3 of my devices thanks to this thread!!!

Yay!!

CharlesA
November 27th, 2012, 07:29 AM

Good point. Don't forget that a person who isn't trained with a gun will more than likely end up being the victim of it.

It is probably a better idea to secure your gear if you can and go to the police with any information you have. Let them handle it.

mastablasta
November 27th, 2012, 08:07 AM
it might also be a good idea to encrypt the data with strong password and lock the BIOS with a password. that way the maschine is practically useless.

stephenran
November 27th, 2012, 08:49 AM
This is a simple tutorial to set up motion and upload the captured videos to dropbox. You can easily modify the steps for Ubuntu One.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzrXJLdNHwM

Prey is also a very good idea.

Thank you very much that tutorial gave me everything I needed and it's running smoothly now. Thank you also for the prey suggestion.

Just to clarify I don't want anyone to think that I'm in danger, but there is a possibility that someone who does know my schedule might try and break in while I'm away and I'm just taking precautions. This is just a backup so that I have evidence that I could take to police if it were to happen, but mostly as a precautionary measure. Thank you for all of the help everyone.

Bandit
November 28th, 2012, 02:35 AM
Speaking of cameras, they make wireless web cams that can stream to the web and be viewed over a website like program if you have internet access. One or two pointed at your computer should be all you need. I am not sure what the police policy is on someone allegedly going to rob you. Since he or she cant be convicted of a crime if he or she hasn't committed it yet. (at least in terms of theft)