PDA

View Full Version : Apache2 Main Server Document Root Location

BAWBCEN1TY
November 26th, 2012, 07:09 PM
I am new to Linux/Ubuntu and was messing around with setting up Apache2 on Ubuntu 12.10. I had made a mistake writing down my IP address, and therefore, entered this incorrect address into the config files.

#/etc/apache2/ports.conf

NameVirtualHost 192.168.1.22:80

Listen 80

#/etc/apache2/sites-available/default

<VirtualHost 192.168.1.22:80>

ServerAdmin webmaster@localhost

DocumentRoot /var/www/mysite (this exists)
</VirtualHost>

#/etc/apache2/sites-available/www.mysite.com

<VirtualHost 192.168.1.22.:80>

ServerName www.mysite.com

DocumentRoot /var/www/mysite
</VirtualHost>

Due to this IP being wrong, neither of the Virtual Hosts is triggered, but from what I understand, in a case like this Apache uses the settings of the Main Server (it loaded /var/www/index.html).

I do have this working now. And I also understand that a _default_ can be used to catch any unresolved requests. I am really just wondering how Apache deals with requests when no Virtual Host is triggered, and no _default_ is set.

So my question is, where is the Main Server Document Root set? I thought it was set in /etc/apache2/sites-available/default but since /var/www is used instead of /var/www/mysite it doesn't appear that way.

SeijiSensei
November 26th, 2012, 08:07 PM
The sites-available directory contains the virtual host configurations that are "available". The parallel "sites-enabled" directory includes symbolic links to the files that are active. Only configurations that are linked in sites-enabled are actively supported by the server.

By the way, do you have control over the IP addressing scheme? Why not just change the server's IP to match the entries in the VHost configurations?

Also the default typically is to use

NameVirtualHost *:80

which makes Apache apply the virtual hosting definitions to all interfaces. Then it doesn't matter what the machine's actual IP address is.

You need to make sure to use

<VirtualHost *:80>

in the host definitions. If the entry reads "192.168.1.1:80" instead of "*:80", it won't be matched when Apache searches, and you'll end up with the default.

BAWBCEN1TY
November 26th, 2012, 08:32 PM
Yes, I do have control over the IP addressing schemes, and I did end up just using the wild card '*' asterisk. When I was entering the specific IPs I was just messing around to see how everything works.

What I was wondering was since the IP addresses that I put in the
<VirtualHost x.x.x.x:80> in both the default and www.mysite.com files are not correct and will never be triggered, how does Apache decide to use the index.html file in /var/www?

I realize that
<VirtualHost _default_:80>
DocumentRoot desiredPath
</VirtualHost>
can be used to catch these unresolved requests, but how does Apache deal with it if this isn't specified? Is there a global Document Root setting somewhere that is a fallback if a request is unresolved?

volkswagner
November 26th, 2012, 11:20 PM
So my question is, where is the Main Server Document Root set? I thought it was set in /etc/apache2/sites-available/default but since /var/www is used instead of /var/www/mysite it doesn't appear that way.

If apache has a request that has no match in any of your virtual host files (sites-enabled), apache will server the first file in alfaNumeric order from ../sites-enabled.

One thing to notice... sites-availabe usually contains a file called 'default' but the symlink in sites-enabled is '000-default' this name will force it to the top of the list (of most any other human named file).

Hope this makes sense.

BAWBCEN1TY
November 27th, 2012, 12:25 AM
Makes perfect sense. I had actually seen the naming difference and hadn't really given much thought to it. It was really bugging me that I could't find an answer to this anywhere I looked, so thank you.

BAWBCEN1TY
November 27th, 2012, 02:51 AM
So I went back to test out what you had said, and it still seems to be loading from /var/www instead of /var/www/mysite.

My files look as follows:

#/etc/apache2/ports.conf

NameVirtualHost 192.168.1.22:80

Listen 80

#/etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-default

</VirtualHost>

#/etc/apache2/sites-enabled/www.mysite.com

ServerName www.mysite.com

</VirtualHost>

Now I do want to make sure that it is understood that the IP address in the <VirtualHost> tags is not the actual IP of the server. Any request to port 80 is just forwarded through my router to the server.

The request comes through on the real IP 192.168.1.21:80 and obviously doesn't trigger either of the Virtual Hosts. So how does Apache decide to serve from /var/www?

P.S. - I know it may seem silly to be so concerned with such a bizarre scenario, but I thought it was going to be simple to find an answer to this, and since it has proven quite a challenge, it has turned into a minor obsession. So thank you for indulging me in my odd request.

volkswagner
November 28th, 2012, 12:19 AM
A few things come to mind.

Have you cleared your browser cache?

Have you restarted apache after making changes?

Are there any entries in other config files which may be pointing to /var/www?

What other files may be in hosts-enabled?

ls -alt /etc/apache2/sites-enabled

What about the logs, is there any info in /var/log/apache/ log files?

What happens if you rename the /var/www/index.html to something else?

sudo cp /var/www/index.html /var/www/index.html.bak
sudo mv /var/www/index.html /var/www/test

BAWBCEN1TY
November 29th, 2012, 03:04 AM
OK, yes I have cleared my browser cache. Yes, I have restarted Apache. I don't see any other config files that have a reference to /var/www.

I did
grep -ir '/var/www' /etc/apache2 and didn't get anything that I hadn't already looked at.

ls -alt /etc/apache2/sites-enabled returned the following things:

www.mysite.com
000-default

And I renamed /var/www/index.html to /var/www/test, and when navigating to my site I got a page that said Index of /.

If I put /mysite at the end of my URL though, it serves the index.html file from /var/www/mysite. So Apache definitely seems to use /var/www as a default when ../sites-enabled/000-default can't be, I just don't know how or why it decides to use it.

volkswagner
November 29th, 2012, 12:37 PM
Strange indeed.

I do not have any servers running Ubuntu Server greater than version 10.04 so it is hard to comment.

What you are experiencing is not supposed to happen. I do recall seeing something similar which resulted in the user uninstalling/reinstalling Apache2.

Grasping at straws here, but have you issued a reboot?

Did you install apache using apt-get? Wondering if perhaps you have config files in /usr/local or something????

BAWBCEN1TY
November 29th, 2012, 07:53 PM
The server isn't actually serving any real purpose at the moment, so I really only turn it on when I am looking to fool around with it, so it has had many "reboots".

I tried uninstalling using
sudo apt-get --purge remove apache2
but that seems to have still left the /var/www directory and the /etc/apache2 directory. Do you know of a way to completely uninstall anything that is associated with the program?

I did install using apt-get. And the /usr/local directory is empty (I checked this before the uninstall in the previous paragraph).

Mopar1973Man
November 30th, 2012, 05:10 AM
Since your new to the Ubuntu relm I got a program that will make Administration easy for you then. I would go out to...

http://webmin.com/

And download and install Webmin 1.610. To run webmin just type for a URL...

https://localhost:10000

Then you can administer your server with a really easy user interface. Then you can adjust everything about your server setup as well. Security, IPtables, Networking, Hostname, etc. All in a friendly browser screen.

BAWBCEN1TY
November 30th, 2012, 09:39 AM
Alright, I think that we can put this to rest. I had an extra hard drive laying around, so I decided to do a clean install of Ubuntu to make sure that I didn't have any old config files for Apache2 present anywhere on the drive. I set it up just like I had it on the other drive (same filenames, wrong IPs, etc.), and was able to completely recreate every previous result.

I did find some documentation that mentioned, "Any request that doesn't match an existing <VirtualHost> is handled by the global server configuration, regardless of the hostname or ServerName" (http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/vhosts/name-based.html). So I decided to do a search on "global server configuration", and it seems that in previous versions of Apache for Ubuntu (and still in other distros), the main configuration file is /etc/apache2/httpd.conf instead of /etc/apache2/apache2.conf.

And there is a Document Root section in that ../httpd.conf file. So, I did some experimenting, and it seems that you can still set this through adding
DocumentRoot /your/preferred/directory to either /etc/apache2/apache2.conf or /etc/apache2/ports.conf.

So, thank you for your assistance in helping me figure out the answer to this problem. Your questions and suggestions were a great guide in the right direction. I'm sure I will be back on here before too long, so maybe we can do this again. Take it easy, and Happy Holidays.