PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy PS3 or Xbox 360?

hanzj
November 26th, 2012, 05:19 PM
Hi, Ubuntu community.

There are some games that are not available on PC and are only available on the Sony's latest video game machine, the Playstation 3, or Microsoft's latest video game console, Xbox 360.

The games I want to play are available on both consoles. I plan on playing just by myself: 1-player. No co-op, no online play, no internet play. All offline play, all play that can be done without an internet connection.

Which do you recommend that I buy? Which is more powerful and has better graphics and better everything?

Any other info is appreciated.

Thanks.

mythic97
November 26th, 2012, 05:49 PM
I think that unless you want console exclusives then get a PC there good for games and soon Linux should be getting some plus next gen consoles come out in 2013/14 so unless your craving one I would wait..

Grenage
November 26th, 2012, 05:55 PM
Technologically, the PS3 kicks the living crap out of the 360, but as an overall package, they're both pretty good systems.

mamamia88
November 26th, 2012, 05:56 PM
If you have to get one or the other I'd go with ps3 because it has better offline single player exclusive games in my opinion. Uncharted,Infamous, and Killzone are all amazing single player games. With the exclusives and all the same third party games I think it's kind of a no brainer in your situation. I love halo but mainly for the online. That being said new consoles will probably be out this time next year

hanzj
November 26th, 2012, 06:04 PM
mythic97. Yes, I'd like to get a video game console only for the games that don't show up on PC.

mythic97
November 26th, 2012, 06:29 PM
Technologically, the PS3 kicks the living crap out of the 360, but as an overall package, they're both pretty good systems.
true but at E3 2013 the Xbox not the 720 its called just the Xbox apparently is being unveiled so getting one now is a hard Chose and out of curiosity I would wait and see but my friend who have both say Xbox over PS3 and the only thing I found useful about the PS3 is it makes a great grill convert...

mamamia88
November 26th, 2012, 06:36 PM
true but at E3 2013 the Xbox not the 720 its called just the Xbox apparently is being unveiled so getting one now is a hard Chose and out of curiosity I would wait and see but my friend who have both say Xbox over PS3 and the only thing I found useful about the PS3 is it makes a great grill convert...

ps3 and 360 are virtually identical nowadays. it really comes down to games. i have both and couldn't live without halo but that being said if your intention is to play single player games i've had way more fun with the ps3 exclusives this gen from the single player perspective. Gears and Halo are good games. But if all you care about is the single player perspective the ps3 is the better buy. The only real differential is exclusives and the ps3 has better single player ones imo.

mips
November 26th, 2012, 06:52 PM
Pick the console based on the games you wanna play. For me it would be PS3 to get titles like Uncharted, MGS etc which are PS3 exclusives.

forrestcupp
November 26th, 2012, 07:12 PM
Once game devs start programming to take advantage of its different architecture, the Wii U will kick the living crap out of both of them.

s3a
November 26th, 2012, 07:23 PM
Personally, I am PC-only gamer myself and I use an Xbox 360 Controller for games where controllers > mouse/keyboard but, I would say get whichever costs less since games that are not exclusives (which is your case) tend to not differ much graphically to my knowledge.

If a gun were put to my head to use one console instead of a PC, I would choose Xbox 360 but I chose "They're equal" in the poll since you don't seem to mind about the controller like I do. (I prefer my left stick on the top-left. That plus, I love Halo and am still waiting for Halo 3 on PC if it ever comes out and I refuse to buy a console.)

KiwiNZ
November 26th, 2012, 07:36 PM
Hi, Ubuntu community.

There are some games that are not available on PC and are only available on the Sony's latest video game machine, the Playstation 3, or Microsoft's latest video game console, Xbox 360.

The games I want to play are available on both consoles. I plan on playing just by myself: 1-player. No co-op, no online play, no internet play. All offline play, all play that can be done without an internet connection.

Which do you recommend that I buy? Which is more powerful and has better graphics and better everything?

Any other info is appreciated.

Thanks.

I have both a PS3 and a current Xbox 360, I would consider the Xbox to be vastly superior to the PS 3

Shuudoushi
November 26th, 2012, 08:15 PM
I own both systems and have to say "go with Xbox 360". It's easy to mod; you can put Ubuntu on it rather easy; and you don't get hacked near as often as on PS3. As far as performance goes they are about even. The PS3 games look just a touch better; however with the poor security it's lost a lot of points in my eyes. Most games for the PS3 also come rather very buggy out of the box; it almost seems like they rushed very badly while porting them or coding them; even though they had just as much time as the Xbox 360 release of the same title. As far as not wanting the play online; if you do go with the PS3 you may want to hook in to get the updates. Just make sure you don't enter in your credit cards or anything lol.

mythic97
November 26th, 2012, 11:25 PM
Once game devs start programming to take advantage of its different architecture, the Wii U will kick the living crap out of both of them.

err no just no

Shuudoushi
November 26th, 2012, 11:33 PM
err no just no

Agreed!

mamamia88
November 26th, 2012, 11:36 PM
I own both systems and have to say "go with Xbox 360". It's easy to mod; you can put Ubuntu on it rather easy; and you don't get hacked near as often as on PS3. As far as performance goes they are about even. The PS3 games look just a touch better; however with the poor security it's lost a lot of points in my eyes. Most games for the PS3 also come rather very buggy out of the box; it almost seems like they rushed very badly while porting them or coding them; even though they had just as much time as the Xbox 360 release of the same title. As far as not wanting the play online; if you do go with the PS3 you may want to hook in to get the updates. Just make sure you don't enter in your credit cards or anything lol.
you could pay $50 a year for plus which gets you a handful of games for free every few weeks. it also lets you set the system download updates and upload your saves to the cloud in case something happens to your harddrive. it does this automatically at a designated time for you

Shuudoushi
November 26th, 2012, 11:40 PM
you could pay $50 a year for plus which gets you a handful of games for free every few weeks. it also lets you set the system download updates and upload your saves to the cloud in case something happens to your harddrive. it does this automatically at a designated time for you

The Xbox 360 does the same if you have gold... Well kinda. You have to manuly backup your saved games and you only have like 500mb or something like that to play with. You can't really chose when you do or don't get updates either. So I guess PS3 has a one up there. Lol.

rai4shu2
November 26th, 2012, 11:48 PM
PS3 is better hardware, so it's more value for your money. If you don't mind having to buy new hardware every couple years, then I guess Xbox would be fine.

Shuudoushi
November 26th, 2012, 11:50 PM
PS3 is better hardware, so it's more value for your money. If you don't mind having to buy new hardware every couple years, then I guess Xbox would be fine.

If you really look at it they are the same in hardware. Yes the PS3 has like 6 cores in its' CPU in all but that is shared with the GPU for the video card as well. As where the Xbox 360 has a dedicated GPU for the video card. So in the end the hardware performance ends up the same.

mamamia88
November 26th, 2012, 11:59 PM

lol that's a laugh. even if it is better hardware ps4 and the next xbox will launch roughly the same time. i have both and games tend to perform the same on both with maybe slower loading on the ps3 due to the slow reading speed of the blu ray drive. i thought uncharted 3 was the best looking game i've ever played but halo 4 and gears of war 3 look just as good. look at a list of games that are out now for both. delete the ones that you have no interest in playing as well as ones that are on pc as well. whichever has the longest list left at the end buy that one. if you care about netflix etc you'll have to pay extra for that as well on the 360 while you can use it for free on the ps3. there are so many good games that are on both this generation that you really should base your decision on which one has exclusives that you like more. everything else is just irrelevant in a gaming machine.

evilsoup
November 27th, 2012, 12:09 AM
'Better hardware' is kind of irrelevant, it's all down to which library of games you want more. Of the games I've enjoyed on the PS3, I can think of maybe three that are exclusives, while there are a number of XBox exclusives I would have liked to have played, so I think the Xbox has a slight edge there.

The PS3 can play Blu-rays, and can use a slightly wider range of video formats - but they're both pretty terrible on that front (neither can support MKVs D: ). May or may not be relevant to your decision.

mamamia88
November 27th, 2012, 12:19 AM
'Better hardware' is kind of irrelevant, it's all down to which library of games you want more. Of the games I've enjoyed on the PS3, I can think of maybe three that are exclusives, while there are a number of XBox exclusives I would have liked to have played, so I think the Xbox has a slight edge there.

The PS3 can play Blu-rays, and can use a slightly wider range of video formats - but they're both pretty terrible on that front (neither can support MKVs D: ). May or may not be relevant to your decision.

please share the xbox exclusives you are talking about so i can play them. off the top of my head i would say must haves are halo,gears,and Alan Wake,and maybe crackdown,forza if you are into those realistic racers. Other than that i'm hard pressed to name any. Ps3 has the MGS,Uncharted, God of War, Infamous,Killzone,Resistance,Motorstorm,Heavy Rain. I adore halo and could give or take gears of war. Alan Wake is also on pc last time I checked which he has. Crackdown probably feels dated now. Everything else is on both. Either way you can't really go wrong with either. The third party games far outnumber the exclusives this generation.

x-shaney-x
November 27th, 2012, 02:05 AM
As an owner of both consoles I have to say there is barely any difference between the same game on both (there has been occasions where I have traded a game on one console to get the version on the other, mainly for online).

The big difference is with online gaming. Although PS3 is free online, it seems to be forever undergoing maintenance and PS3 clearly plays second fiddle with some big name games (CoD springs to mind).

So since you only want single player and the games you want are available on both it really makes no difference. Go for the cheapest?
Maybe worth bearing in mind any future platform exclusives you might want to play though.

Shuudoushi
November 27th, 2012, 04:43 AM
As an owner of both consoles I have to say there is barely any difference between the same game on both (there has been occasions where I have traded a game on one console to get the version on the other, mainly for online).

The big difference is with online gaming. Although PS3 is free online, it seems to be forever undergoing maintenance and PS3 clearly plays second fiddle with some big name games (CoD springs to mind).

So since you only want single player and the games you want are available on both it really makes no difference. Go for the cheapest?
Maybe worth bearing in mind any future platform exclusives you might want to play though.

Agreed. Also think ahead for support! Sony has been a pain in my @$$ in the past. Microsoft seems to be just a bit better. Don't get me wrong; I would still rather take advice from a rock but still.

doorknob60
November 27th, 2012, 05:46 AM
I would go with a PS3. I find it a better build piece of hardware, and uses standards like mini USB charging and Bluetooth connectivity, which the 360 does not. Also, if you eventually decide to play online games, you won't have to pay a fee for it. Plus, if you want to watch Blu-ray movies (not sure if you do, but always nice to have the option), it does that too. But most importantly, games. They all have pretty much the same 3rd party titles, but I prefer Sony's collection of first party games. The Uncharted trilogy, for example, is amazing. Also, the PS3's hardware is more powerful, although for multiplatform games it won't make a difference. Both consoles will do the job well, but I prefer the PS3.

cbennett926
November 27th, 2012, 06:06 AM
Gotta get a solid gaming computer, the community is much more mature, and longer supported. I was always adamant about PS3 until I got my first gaming computer, it's a whole new world with mods, better games, better graphics. It's just so much "more"

cbennett926
November 27th, 2012, 06:08 AM

Skyrim comes to mind for me on that one, Dawngaurd anyone?

Shuudoushi
November 27th, 2012, 07:17 AM
I would go with a PS3. I find it a better build piece of hardware, and uses standards like mini USB charging and Bluetooth connectivity, which the 360 does not. Also, if you eventually decide to play online games, you won't have to pay a fee for it. Plus, if you want to watch Blu-ray movies (not sure if you do, but always nice to have the option), it does that too. But most importantly, games. They all have pretty much the same 3rd party titles, but I prefer Sony's collection of first party games. The Uncharted trilogy, for example, is amazing. Also, the PS3's hardware is more powerful, although for multiplatform games it won't make a difference. Both consoles will do the job well, but I prefer the PS3.
For the last time... PS3 and Xbox 360 has no difference in overall hardware performance. Check overall specs before posting misinfo by mistake. And i don't know about you but Blu-Ray movies on my PS3 look like ****. I just use my computer for Blu-rays now lol.

Shuudoushi
November 27th, 2012, 07:20 AM
Skyrim comes to mind for me on that one, Dawngaurd anyone?

And yeah the online features for PS3 sucks rather bad. Either your getting hacked and Sony tell you more or less to **** off, or your lagging so bad you can't do anything. And i have a 30 mb/s fiber optic connection ><

mips
November 27th, 2012, 07:55 AM
If you really look at it they are the same in hardware. Yes the PS3 has like 6 cores in its' CPU in all but that is shared with the GPU for the video card as well. As where the Xbox 360 has a dedicated GPU for the video card. So in the end the hardware performance ends up the same.

Lol, did you spend some time making that up or did you just suck it out of your thumb?

PS3:
CPU: Cell Broadband Engine CXD2996BGB
GPU: Sony RSX CXD530 "Reality Synthesizer"

http://ompldr.org/vZ2d1ZA

See that big silver square surround by the red border? That's the CPU, now if you look to the left of it you will see 4 GDDR chips with a orange border around them and in the centre you will see a chip labled RSX, that's the GPU. The RSX is based on a existing nVidia chip design they did in conjunction with Sony.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cell_(microprocessor)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSX_%27Reality_Synthesizer%27

rai4shu2
November 27th, 2012, 08:04 AM
I love how Xbox fanboys read the first four words of my reply and ignored the rest. I was speaking of DURABILITY. The Xbox 360 is infamous for its lack thereof. The PS3 is far better designed in that respect.

forrestcupp
November 27th, 2012, 01:44 PM
err no just no

Then your head is in the sand. The Wii U has a much newer GPU that is capable of much more. Even the devs that bash the Wii U's CPU admit that the GPU is capable of better visuals than the 360 and PS3. It's the CPU that they're whining about.

The thing that's interesting to me is that you have conflicting reports from different devs. Some devs are saying that the Wii U's CPU is weaker than the 360/PS3, and some are saying that it is much more powerful. The interesting thing about that is that it's the devs who are doing quick and dirty ports that say it's weaker, while the devs who are doing exclusive Wii U games from the ground up, like Ubisoft, are saying that it's much more powerful. The reason for that is that the guys doing quick ports aren't even trying to program for a new architecture. They just want their games out really quickly.

The 360 has a triple core, single threaded PowerPC CPU running at 3.2GHz. From what we know of the Wii U, it has a newer technology triple core Power-based CPU, that probably has 4 threads per core, but runs at a slightly lower clock speed. It also has a GPGPU, which is able to offload some of the minor general processing to the GPU. What that means is that if you're doing a quick port only taking advantage of a single thread, like the 360, all your code is going to notice is a slightly slower clock speed, and the Wii U looks weak. But if you actually tried to write code to take advantage of 4 threads per core, the newer architecture, and the GPGPU, the Wii U would kick the living crap out of the 360 and PS3. It's kind of like comparing a Pentium 4 with a higher clock speed to an i5 with a lower clock speed.

Just wait and see. Like I said earlier (I think), right now, we're just seeing game companies try to get their games on it as quick as they can. When they actually finesse the hardware, we're going to see some amazing things.

Besides, I actually have one, so I can say from experience that the way the Gamepad is used in games is the most fun I've ever had playing video games. It's awesome.

sffvba[e0rt
November 27th, 2012, 01:56 PM
I voted X-Box before reading the OP... if you will never touch the net then I suspect the PS3 is a better buy just because of the hardware (gfx and blue-ray).

Then again, if the idea of the Kinect tickles your fancy then obviously go for the X-Box.

For myself I had to make the desicion about 4 years ago and I went with the X-Box and I have been very happy with my choice.

Shuudoushi
November 27th, 2012, 05:16 PM
Then your head is in the sand. The Wii U has a much newer GPU that is capable of much more. Even the devs that bash the Wii U's CPU admit that the GPU is capable of better visuals than the 360 and PS3. It's the CPU that they're whining about.

The thing that's interesting to me is that you have conflicting reports from different devs. Some devs are saying that the Wii U's CPU is weaker than the 360/PS3, and some are saying that it is much more powerful. The interesting thing about that is that it's the devs who are doing quick and dirty ports that say it's weaker, while the devs who are doing exclusive Wii U games from the ground up, like Ubisoft, are saying that it's much more powerful. The reason for that is that the guys doing quick ports aren't even trying to program for a new architecture. They just want their games out really quickly.

The 360 has a triple core, single threaded PowerPC CPU running at 3.2GHz. From what we know of the Wii U, it has a newer technology triple core Power-based CPU, that probably has 4 threads per core, but runs at a slightly lower clock speed. It also has a GPGPU, which is able to offload some of the minor general processing to the GPU. What that means is that if you're doing a quick port only taking advantage of a single thread, like the 360, all your code is going to notice is a slightly slower clock speed, and the Wii U looks weak. But if you actually tried to write code to take advantage of 4 threads per core, the newer architecture, and the GPGPU, the Wii U would kick the living crap out of the 360 and PS3. It's kind of like comparing a Pentium 4 with a higher clock speed to an i5 with a lower clock speed.

Just wait and see. Like I said earlier (I think), right now, we're just seeing game companies try to get their games on it as quick as they can. When they actually finesse the hardware, we're going to see some amazing things.

Besides, I actually have one, so I can say from experience that the way the Gamepad is used in games is the most fun I've ever had playing video games. It's awesome.

Okay this is off topic from hell; but here we go! Dude you are comparing a handheld that came out about a year ago to home consoles that came out 8-10 years ago. The OP was wanting to know which home console they should get; not which handheld to get. And with the next gen of home consoles just around the corner the WII-U will be blasted out of the water; mostly do to not being limited by battery power/life for the hardware that will go into them. (I will post the link later if i can find it again.) The new Xbox "720" is reported to have an 8 core multi thread CPU and a 2gb DDR3 video card (Never listed more than that about the video card.) That is all i can remember off the top of my head (And as i said if i can find the link again i will post it.).

mamamia88
November 27th, 2012, 05:19 PM
another option buy a ps3 then buy a broken 360 on the cheap and try and fix it yourself. plenty of walkthroughs on the internet. not sure if they are permanent fixes but they look simple enough

mythic97
November 27th, 2012, 05:23 PM

1. the touch screen is from 2008
2. next gens come out next 2 years
3. there is never any hardcore games that were good on the wii its a kids toy with good hardware at best

Shuudoushi
November 27th, 2012, 05:24 PM
another option buy a ps3 then buy a broken 360 on the cheap and try and fix it yourself. plenty of walkthroughs on the internet. not sure if they are permanent fixes but they look simple enough

That is a good idea come to think of it. Xbox 360's are very easy to repair; and there are 1000's of tuts online to fix them. Just make sure it isn't a ROD problem!

Shuudoushi
November 27th, 2012, 05:25 PM
3. there is never any hardcore games that were good on the wii its a kids toy with good hardware at best

Agreed.

evilsoup
November 27th, 2012, 06:11 PM
'Hardcore games' hahahaha

forrestcupp
November 27th, 2012, 06:31 PM
Okay this is off topic from hell; but here we go! Dude you are comparing a handheld that came out about a year ago to home consoles that came out 8-10 years ago. The OP was wanting to know which home console they should get; not which handheld to get. And with the next gen of home consoles just around the corner the WII-U will be blasted out of the water; mostly do to not being limited by battery power/life for the hardware that will go into them. (I will post the link later if i can find it again.) The new Xbox "720" is reported to have an 8 core multi thread CPU and a 2gb DDR3 video card (Never listed more than that about the video card.) That is all i can remember off the top of my head (And as i said if i can find the link again i will post it.).Dude, I was comparing the Wii U, which is a home console that just now came out, to the consoles the OP were asking about. If you thought I was talking about the 3DS or Vita, you seriously need to brush up on your reading comprehension skills. Also, nobody was even talking about the PS4 or 720. Since they probably won't even be out next year, they are a nonissue. I'm comparing the ones that are available now, and the Wii U will end up kicking their backsides.

3. there is never any hardcore games that were good on the wii its a kids toy with good hardware at best1. Have you even tried it? Yes, it has a resistive touch screen, but it's just as responsive as any capacitive screen I've ever used. The way that all of the Gamepad's features work together is much more advanced than anything up until this point. Also, the 360 and PS3 don't even have a touchscreen from 2008. Just look at the vids for ZombiU to get an idea of what the Gamepad is capable of. And that's just the beginning of game devs' ideas for it.
2. That's right. They're not even going to be out for at least a year and a half. We're talking about what's available right now, and for at least the next year or more.
3. I'm not talking about the Wii. I'm talking about the Wii U, which is a completely different animal. It already has a ton of quality 3rd party support now and in the future, including "hardcore" games, whatever that is.

So let me put this in simpler terms for you. Think about the games over the life of the 360, and how over the years the devs have learned how to push its hardware to the limit. Compare the graphical quality to Kameo, the first game, to the graphical quality they've been able to squeeze out with Halo 4, toward the end of the 360's life. Well, the Wii U has just now launched, and it's still in it's "Kameo" stage. Even though it's in its Kameo phase, people are comparing it to the 360 at the end of its life. Depending on what game you're talking about, the Wii U is at least on par with the 360, at the end of its life. And you don't think that when the devs get around to actually utilizing its hardware it going to get better?

I stand by what I said that next year when the devs start programming for the Wii U's architecture, we're going to see some awesome stuff, and it will kick the living crap out of the 360 and PS3, including in hardcore games. I never said anything about the PS4/720, but I do know that they won't be able to play the next Zelda game. I also know that if their hardware is anything close to what everyone is dreaming up, they won't be able to come close on price. I also have my doubts that we will ever even see a PS4, based on how crappy Sony is doing right now.

doorknob60
November 27th, 2012, 07:43 PM
Just reading this thread should answer your question, about which group you want to associate yourself with. All the Xbox fanboys are just bashing the other consoles, making false claims about what other people said (Wii U =/= Wii; Wii U =/= handheld console), making up facts (like that the 360's hardware is the same as the PS3, and that the Wii U is weaker than both), and just bashing everybody, without very many solid arguments.

Sure, there are some upsides to an Xbox, the Live service is very good (though PSN is almost as good, and for free), and it has some good exclusives like Halo. But let's stop stating lies, and bashing other consoles, okay?

*cough*Typical Xbox fanboys, this is not new, or surprising*cough*

forrestcupp
November 27th, 2012, 07:46 PM
You guys do realize that the Wii U is a new console that includes a Gamepad with a secondary screen, right? It's not an addon for the Wii and it's not a handheld portable game system. It's a whole new console. I think a few people here don't understand that.

Shuudoushi
November 27th, 2012, 07:51 PM
Just reading this thread should answer your question, about which group you want to associate yourself with. All the Xbox fanboys are just bashing the other consoles, making false claims about what other people said (Wii U =/= Wii; Wii U =/= handheld console), making up facts (like that the 360's hardware is the same as the PS3, and that the Wii U is weaker than both), and just bashing everybody, without very many solid arguments.

Sure, there are some upsides to an Xbox, the Live service is very good (though PSN is almost as good, and for free), and it has some good exclusives like Halo. But let's stop stating lies, and bashing other consoles, okay?

*cough*Typical Xbox fanboys, this is not new, or surprising*cough*

If you are referring to me; I'm not bashing other consoles. I am talking from xp from using both PS3 and Xbox 360. And the overall hardware performance is the same (Or atleast close enough.) Now the PS3 does have a more powerful CPU then the Xbox; this much is true yes, however the PS3 has to share it's CPU with it's GPU; this makes the overall power of the console about the same as the 360. As far as the Wii-U I just plain don't like the Wii; or any spin offs of the console; when i want to play a game i want to sit on my *** and be lazy lol.

mamamia88
November 27th, 2012, 08:01 PM
You guys do realize that the Wii U is a new console that includes a Gamepad with a secondary screen, right? It's not an addon for the Wii and it's not a handheld portable game system. It's a whole new console. I think a few people here don't understand that.

We understand we just don't care much. sure it's more powerful than current stuff but the current gen is 7 years old. New stuff will be out next year that blows it away technically. I have no desire to play games with that huge gamepad. Sure they have the controller that looks like a 360 controller but I already have a 360. And last time I checked the 360 can still pump out some amazing graphics with Halo 4. The wiiU will get Nintendo exclusives and ports of current gen stuff. Who cares if it's more powerful than the current gen stuff if the games will look the same because devs have to design for the lowest common denominator? And when the new consoles come out next year it will end up third place in terms of power again. I'd rather save my money for the new ps4 or 720 then buy a wiiU right now. And if I really wanted to play Mario or Zelda I honestly think I'd rather go back and play the classics then the new stuff.

Shuudoushi
November 27th, 2012, 08:14 PM
We understand we just don't care much. sure it's more powerful than current stuff but the current gen is 7 years old. New stuff will be out next year that blows it away technically. I have no desire to play games with that huge gamepad. Sure they have the controller that looks like a 360 controller but I already have a 360. And last time I checked the 360 can still pump out some amazing graphics with Halo 4. The wiiU will get Nintendo exclusives and ports of current gen stuff. Who cares if it's more powerful than the current gen stuff if the games will look the same because devs have to design for the lowest common denominator? And when the new consoles come out next year it will end up third place in terms of power again. I'd rather save my money for the new ps4 or 720 then buy a wiiU right now. And if I really wanted to play Mario or Zelda I honestly think I'd rather go back and play the classics then the new stuff.

Couldn't have said it better myself!

HansKisaragi
November 27th, 2012, 08:48 PM
Depends on what you want to play..

PS3 has more RPGs. they also have best premium service as you get free games every month unlike xbox live where you get nothing.

I own both systems and collect for both.. I personally like the Playstation the most just cause i'm a RPG aficionado.

find out what games you want to play then pick the system..

mamamia88
November 27th, 2012, 08:52 PM
Depends on what you want to play..

PS3 has more RPGs. they also have best premium service as you get free games every month unlike xbox live where you get nothing.

I own both systems and collect for both.. I personally like the Playstation the most just cause i'm a RPG aficionado.

find out what games you want to play then pick the system..

is that really true though? if i remember correctly the first mass effect was a 360 exclusive,final fantasy has been on both this gen,at the start of the gen they were trying really hard to push rpgs on the 360 like last Odyssey,tales, and blue dragon. of course they've since been mostly ported to the ps3.

HansKisaragi
November 27th, 2012, 09:11 PM
is that really true though? if i remember correctly the first mass effect was a 360 exclusive,final fantasy has been on both this gen,at the start of the gen they were trying really hard to push rpgs on the 360 like last Odyssey,tales, and blue dragon. of course they've since been mostly ported to the ps3.

Mass Effect trilogy are on both consoles now, started as a xbox exclusive.

The xbox only have a few jRPGs exclusives

Lost Odyssey*
Blue Dragon
Infinit Undisovery
The Last Remnant
Magna Carta 2
operation Darkness (NA/jp only)
Spectral Force 3 (NA/jp only)
--

Tales of Vesperia (this game is exclusive on xbox in eu/na and on ps3 in japan)

now.. the ps3

Ar tonelico Qoga: Knell of Ar Ciel
Atelier Rorona: The Alchemist of Arland
Atelier Totori: The Adventurer of Arland
Atelier Meruru: The Apprentice of Arland
Hyperdimension Neptunia
Hyperdimension Neptunia Mk2
Last Rebellion
Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny
Tales of Graces F
Trinity Universe
White Knight Chronicles I
White Knight Chronicles II
Mugen Souls
Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice
Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten
Record of Agarest War
Valkyria Chronicles
3D Dot Game Heroes
Demon's Souls
Folklore
Trinity: Souls of Zill O'll

coming soon:
Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
Tales of Xilla
Tales of Xilla 2
Time and Eternity/Toki to Towa
The Witch and the Hundred Knights
Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Twilight Land
Dragons Crown
Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn

there are more but i cba to type more :3 .. also next year is a big year for rpgs on ps3.

Playstation gets more japanese made games.

Most western games are multi platform

mamamia88
November 27th, 2012, 09:38 PM
Mass Effect trilogy are on both consoles now, started as a xbox exclusive.

The xbox only have a few jRPGs exclusives

Lost Odyssey*
Blue Dragon
Infinit Undisovery
The Last Remnant
Magna Carta 2
operation Darkness (NA/jp only)
Spectral Force 3 (NA/jp only)
--

Tales of Vesperia (this game is exclusive on xbox in eu/na and on ps3 in japan)

now.. the ps3

Ar tonelico Qoga: Knell of Ar Ciel
Atelier Rorona: The Alchemist of Arland
Atelier Totori: The Adventurer of Arland
Atelier Meruru: The Apprentice of Arland
Hyperdimension Neptunia
Hyperdimension Neptunia Mk2
Last Rebellion
Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny
Tales of Graces F
Trinity Universe
White Knight Chronicles I
White Knight Chronicles II
Mugen Souls
Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice
Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten
Record of Agarest War
Valkyria Chronicles
3D Dot Game Heroes
Demon's Souls
Folklore
Trinity: Souls of Zill O'll

coming soon:
Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
Tales of Xilla
Tales of Xilla 2
Time and Eternity/Toki to Towa
The Witch and the Hundred Knights
Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Twilight Land
Dragons Crown
Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn

there are more but i cba to type more :3 .. also next year is a big year for rpgs on ps3.

Playstation gets more japanese made games.

Most western games are multi platform ah cool. never heard of most of those.

HansKisaragi
November 27th, 2012, 09:43 PM
ah cool. never heard of most of those.

I have most of them, they are all good games :)

forrestcupp
November 27th, 2012, 10:02 PM
As far as the Wii-U I just plain don't like the Wii; or any spin offs of the console; when i want to play a game i want to sit on my *** and be lazy lol.Well, like I said, despite its name, it's not a Wii spinoff any more than the Xbox 360 is an Xbox spinoff. It's a totally new console. Not only that, but they're kind of going back to the lazy way of playing.

We understand we just don't care much. sure it's more powerful than current stuff but the current gen is 7 years old. New stuff will be out next year that blows it away technically. I have no desire to play games with that huge gamepad. Sure they have the controller that looks like a 360 controller but I already have a 360. And last time I checked the 360 can still pump out some amazing graphics with Halo 4. The wiiU will get Nintendo exclusives and ports of current gen stuff. Who cares if it's more powerful than the current gen stuff if the games will look the same because devs have to design for the lowest common denominator? And when the new consoles come out next year it will end up third place in terms of power again. I'd rather save my money for the new ps4 or 720 then buy a wiiU right now. And if I really wanted to play Mario or Zelda I honestly think I'd rather go back and play the classics then the new stuff.Fair enough. Everyone has the right to their own preferences; I just don't like it when people falsely say the Wii U is weaker than current gen and that it only plays kiddy games. That's just ignorant fanboy talk because they don't want to believe there is something better than what they have.

Carry on with your discussion of antiquated consoles. :D

But I will add that if you're set on hating the Wii U, the 360 is the way to go.

mamamia88
November 27th, 2012, 10:16 PM
Well, like I said, despite its name, it's not a Wii spinoff any more than the Xbox 360 is an Xbox spinoff. It's a totally new console. Not only that, but they're kind of going back to the lazy way of playing.

Fair enough. Everyone has the right to their own preferences; I just don't like it when people falsely say the Wii U is weaker than current gen and that it only plays kiddy games. That's just ignorant fanboy talk because they don't want to believe there is something better than what they have.

But I will add that if you're set on hating the Wii U, the 360 is the way to go.not hating on the Wii U. Just can't justify buying one right now. If i didn't waste my money on a vita on launch day though i might be more willing to consider :lolflag:

HansKisaragi
November 27th, 2012, 10:46 PM
Nintendo talking out there *** when it comes to the Wii U.. the Wii U is not next gen.

Reggie Fils-Aim been spouting out lots of nonsense recently..

"3rd-party Games Look Dramatically Better On Wii-U"
"Wii U Is Much More Graphically Intensive Than Rival Systems"

nope.. :lolflag: back to the drawing board Nintendo.

for the record I own a Wii and a 3ds..

Shuudoushi
November 27th, 2012, 10:47 PM
Well, like I said, despite its name, it's not a Wii spinoff any more than the Xbox 360 is an Xbox spinoff. It's a totally new console. Not only that, but they're kind of going back to the lazy way of playing.

Fair enough. Everyone has the right to their own preferences; I just don't like it when people falsely say the Wii U is weaker than current gen and that it only plays kiddy games. That's just ignorant fanboy talk because they don't want to believe there is something better than what they have.

But I will add that if you're set on hating the Wii U, the 360 is the way to go.

I never said that the Wii U was a weak system; I just don't like Wii's. I'll still to my N64 tvm lol. Though i do have to say i own the Wii and it's not my cup of tea, so to speak.

HansKisaragi
November 27th, 2012, 10:49 PM
I never said that the Wii U was a weak system; I just don't like Wii's. I'll still to my N64 tvm lol. Though i do have to say i own the Wii and it's not my cup of tea, so to speak.

<3

the N64 and the Gamecube for that matter was a far better system then the Wii and Wii U.

Not power wise obviously but everything else.. though the wii was just 2 gamecubes ducktaped together.

superdaveozzborn
November 27th, 2012, 10:56 PM
I can say from experience that I have raised 5 kids and one year bought both ps3 and the new xbox and the ps3 was only ever used to play blue ray movies, but the xbox was never shut off so i would have to vote for the xbox hands down.

forrestcupp
November 27th, 2012, 11:05 PM
not hating on the Wii U. Just can't justify buying one right now. If i didn't waste my money on a vita on launch day though i might be more willing to consider :lolflag:Cool. :)

Nintendo talking out there *** when it comes to the Wii U.. the Wii U is not next gen.

Reggie Fils-Aim been spouting out lots of nonsense recently..

"3rd-party Games Look Dramatically Better On Wii-U"
"Wii U Is Much More Graphically Intensive Than Rival Systems"

nope.. :lolflag: back to the drawing board Nintendo.

for the record I own a Wii and a 3ds..Reggie is talking out his backside, but that doesn't mean Wii U isn't next gen. It just means that the game devs who are porting old games over aren't exploiting the Wii U's hardware yet. Just look at games programmed from the ground up, like ZombiU running at 1080p while also outputting a separate set of graphics to the secondary Gamepad screen. Crappy ports are going to be crappy no matter what they're running on.

I never said that the Wii U was a weak system; I just don't like Wii's. I'll still to my N64 tvm lol. Though i do have to say i own the Wii and it's not my cup of tea, so to speak.You can't compare the Wii U to the Wii because it's absolutely nothing like it, other than its name and Wii Mode, which lets you play old Wii games. The Wii U is more like an updated 360 with a more advanced gamepad than like the Wii. I really wish they would have named it something else to keep from confusing people like you.

But I agree that N64 was awesome. It was truly groundbreaking.

mamamia88
November 28th, 2012, 12:00 AM
Cool. :)

Reggie is talking out his backside, but that doesn't mean Wii U isn't next gen. It just means that the game devs who are porting old games over aren't exploiting the Wii U's hardware yet. Just look at games programmed from the ground up, like ZombiU running at 1080p while also outputting a separate set of graphics to the secondary Gamepad screen. Crappy ports are going to be crappy no matter what they're running on.

You can't compare the Wii U to the Wii because it's absolutely nothing like it, other than its name and Wii Mode, which lets you play old Wii games. The Wii U is more like an updated 360 with a more advanced gamepad than like the Wii. I really wish they would have named it something else to keep from confusing people like you.

But I agree that N64 was awesome. It was truly groundbreaking.yep name is kind of confusing. i really think that the the whole power debate on consoles is always overblown. you'll never see one that blows the crap out of the others because the only people maxing out the hardware would be the first parties. On all third party games aiming to be playable on all they will look roughly the same since they have to make it run on both

Jakin
November 28th, 2012, 12:21 AM
yep name is kind of confusing. i really think that the the whole power debate on consoles is always overblown. you'll never see one that blows the crap out of the others because the only people maxing out the hardware would be the first parties. On all third party games aiming to be playable on all they will look roughly the same since they have to make it run on both

Sometimes well into the next gen, someone (3rd party) develops a game that pushes the previous gen console further than anyone expected, see Dreamcast. Towards the end of the original Xbox life, Unreal Championship 2 or Doom3 (3rd psrty obviously) and others, pushed it further than 1st parties.
Of course the very best games are usually 1st party, but 3rd party developers sometimes strive to push a console as well, and succeed.

Moose
November 28th, 2012, 12:24 AM
People say get a PS3 because the PSN is free. You get what you pay for. I would recommend getting an Xbox because you pay.. for much better service. PS3's servers have way more problems than Xbox's. Which proves what i said before. You get what you pay for.

mamamia88
November 28th, 2012, 12:37 AM
People say get a PS3 because the PSN is free. You get what you pay for. I would recommend getting an Xbox because you pay.. for much better service. PS3's servers have way more problems than Xbox's. Which proves what i said before. You get what you pay for.

Xbox live Gold get's you online gaming as well as access to stuff that should be free. For online gaming against random people both work just fine. What you really pay for on the 360 is ease of joining parties etc. Also you can't play online at all without paying. Actual gaming against other people though is basically the same. I use same exact internet setup on both and use both pretty much every single day and ever since the major outage of PSN i've had no problems. Besides op doesn't care about online gaming which is in the original post. 360 controller has a better shape imo but ps3 controller has better buttons imo while the 360 has better shoulder buttons. Also ps3 controller has built in battery that is charged by standard mini usb. I use my direct tv receiver to charge mine. I use rechargeable batteries that cost extra on my 360. Ps3 can also use a standard laptop drive without hacking. For the same price as xbox live you get free games every other week. If you get a ps3 i highly suggest paying for ps+ for the instant game collection. So in summary the ps3 and 360 are nearly identical in performance, online is irrelavant to op,xbox charges for stuff that is free on ps3 (netflix,browser,amazon vod,rechargeable battery). That being said you are getting a gaming machine first and foremost. Get the one that has the games you want on it. Also if op cares at all you can copy standard avi and mp4 files directly to the harddrive. This is really a cool feature imo.

Shuudoushi
November 28th, 2012, 01:52 AM
Xbox live Gold get's you online gaming as well as access to stuff that should be free. For online gaming against random people both work just fine. What you really pay for on the 360 is ease of joining parties etc. Also you can't play online at all without paying. Actual gaming against other people though is basically the same. I use same exact internet setup on both and use both pretty much every single day and ever since the major outage of PSN i've had no problems. Besides op doesn't care about online gaming which is in the original post. 360 controller has a better shape imo but ps3 controller has better buttons imo while the 360 has better shoulder buttons. Also ps3 controller has built in battery that is charged by standard mini usb. I use my direct tv receiver to charge mine. I use rechargeable batteries that cost extra on my 360. Ps3 can also use a standard laptop drive without hacking. For the same price as xbox live you get free games every other week. If you get a ps3 i highly suggest paying for ps+ for the instant game collection. So in summary the ps3 and 360 are nearly identical in performance, online is irrelavant to op,xbox charges for stuff that is free on ps3 (netflix,browser,amazon vod,rechargeable battery). That being said you are getting a gaming machine first and foremost. Get the one that has the games you want on it. Also if op cares at all you can copy standard avi and mp4 files directly to the harddrive. This is really a cool feature imo.

I do agree that you should get a lot of the stuff that Microsoft makes you pay for; you should get for free. But that money does (Atleast some of it.) goes to making the servers more stable and up to date. I just don't like Sony's customer service at all! Last time i had to call Sony about something I got the feeling they didn't give a damn, while Microsoft will listen and try to help, instead of trying to deny that there is or may be a problem. So imho go for the system you have money for; has the games you want; and has the best customer service for your needs. Also i would like to make a note that, in my xp, the Blu-ray player in the PS3 rather sucks for movies; though it works well for games. So if you just want a pure gaming system either that fits your needs will do the job; and if you want something that can do everything, you may want to wait till the next gen comes out...

mamamia88
November 28th, 2012, 01:56 AM
I do agree that you should get a lot of the stuff that Microsoft makes you pay for; you should get for free. But that money does (Atleast some of it.) goes to making the servers more stable and up to date. I just don't like Sony's customer service at all! Last time i had to call Sony about something I got the feeling they didn't give a damn, while Microsoft will listen and try to help, instead of trying to deny that there is or may be a problem. So imho go for the system you have money for; has the games you want; and has the best customer service for your needs. Also i would like to make a note that, in my xp, the Blu-ray player in the PS3 rather sucks for movies; though it works well for games. So if you just want a pure gaming system either that fits your needs will do the job; and if you want something that can do everything, you may want to wait till the next gen comes out...i'd rather not deal with customer service on either. i don't get what you are talking about movies sucking on ps3. works the same as any other disc based media player.

Shuudoushi
November 28th, 2012, 02:03 AM
i'd rather not deal with customer service on either. i don't get what you are talking about movies sucking on ps3. works the same as any other disc based media player.

I mean compared to a dedicated Blu-ray player; it's not the best looking for Blu-ray movies.

forrestcupp
November 28th, 2012, 02:30 AM

The thing about Xbox Live Gold that really pisses me off is that they make me pay a second time to watch the Netflix that I already pay for. There's no reason they couldn't include support for paid services like that in Xbox Live Silver.

StinkySQL
November 28th, 2012, 03:18 AM
I keep a PC just for games. The only thing I can't get is Forza - which is a total bummer ...

Swagman
November 28th, 2012, 03:27 PM
My Ps3 isn't just a games console. It's a Media entertainment centre connected via hdmi to the telly and sound then pumped into the hi-fi.

We regularly buy Movies and naturally choose Blu-Ray.

There is no other Blu-Ray player in the house. Not even in this computer (I will have to remedy that in the new year) So the Ps3 is the only way we can watch those movies.

My daughter has both Ps3 and Xbox

She says graphically the Ps3 is superior but Xbox wins hands down for online play --- That's why she bought the Xbox. She already had the Ps3.

mips
November 28th, 2012, 04:18 PM
Okay this is off topic from hell; but here we go! Dude you are comparing a handheld that came out about a year ago to home consoles that came out 8-10 years ago. The OP was wanting to know which home console they should get; not which handheld to get.

Since when is a Wii U a handheld?

http://www.itnewsafrica.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/1352139318_1055_Wii-U.jpg

SeijiSensei
November 28th, 2012, 05:10 PM
Nintendo Confronts a Changed Video Game World (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/25/technology/nintendos-wii-u-takes-aim-at-a-changed-video-game-world.html)

Shuudoushi
November 28th, 2012, 07:06 PM
Since when is a Wii U a handheld?

http://www.itnewsafrica.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/1352139318_1055_Wii-U.jpg

The controller is why I call it a "handheld". To me it's just a handheld that wirelessly hooks into a central box for content to be pushed to it.

evilsoup
November 28th, 2012, 09:09 PM
By that logic, the PS3 and XBox 360 are both handhelds, since they have wireless controllers (that you hold in your hand) :V

Is it because they're actually innovating by using touchscreen technology rather than just adding bigger numbers to their console? Is that why it's a 'handheld'?

Shuudoushi
November 29th, 2012, 12:26 AM
By that logic, the PS3 and XBox 360 are both handhelds, since they have wireless controllers (that you hold in your hand) :V

Is it because they're actually innovating by using touchscreen technology rather than just adding bigger numbers to their console? Is that why it's a 'handheld'?

The screen is the main reason I call it a handheld yes.

forrestcupp
November 29th, 2012, 03:04 AM
The controller is why I call it a "handheld". To me it's just a handheld that wirelessly hooks into a central box for content to be pushed to it.

Then you totally misunderstand how it works. The Gamepad screen is a secondary screen. The TV is the main screen. You're so confused and ignorant about it that you might actually like it if you tried it out.