PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Can't install alongside WinXP

sundit1
November 24th, 2012, 07:22 PM
Recently I uninstalled Ubuntu 11.04 which had been installed inside Windows. I threw it out because I had never been able to connect to the internet.

I bought a disc for 12.10 (which includes Wubi) and it connects easily when run from the disc BUT I am not given the option to install alongside Windows. Since the older version did so, does anyone know why this will not?
My disc is not partitioned.

oldfred
November 24th, 2012, 07:50 PM
You hard drive has to be partitioned if you have both Windows & Ubuntu on it.

Post this from terminal in liveCD/USB.

sudo parted /dev/sda unit s print

bcbc
November 24th, 2012, 09:07 PM
Installing Wubi from CD has been disabled since 12.04, but you can still do it with the argument --force-wubi: http://askubuntu.com/q/125015/14916

mlentink
November 24th, 2012, 09:34 PM
You hard drive has to be partitioned if you have both Windows & Ubuntu on it.

Not if it was a Wubi installed, which the OP said it was.

OP: do you want to redo a Wubi install (use the windows-installer) or do you want to create a dual-boot situation (Windows and Ubuntu next to each other on separate partitions)?

sundit1
November 24th, 2012, 10:28 PM
I want to avoid partitioning because Disk Manager does not give me the option to create a new partition. I will not attempt it from the command console because I do not know if it will destroy my Windows files.
The Ubuntu 11.04 was installed inside Windows and I had a choice of OS when booting.

monkeybrain2012
November 24th, 2012, 10:52 PM
I want to avoid partitioning because Disk Manager does not give me the option to create a new partition. I will not attempt it from the command console because I do not know if it will destroy my Windows files.
The Ubuntu 11.04 was installed inside Windows and I had a choice of OS when booting.

Of course it does, you need to boot off a live usb and run gparted. But some people said you should shrink the Windows partition with a Windows tool in Windows(I don't remember having done that, but I read it somewhere so I cite it just for your reference).

Then when you install Ubuntu, choose "something else" instead of "install alongside .." a graphic representation of your hard drive layout will appear, then create 2 (or 3 see below) subpartitions in the free space created above (by shrinking Windows), a big one as "/" for the system and a small one for swap (about 1.5 x ram) . As another option you can create 3 partitions: / ; /home (to store your data) and swap. / and /home should be in ext4 file system. If you have a separate /home partition you can allocate maybe 10 -12G to / and it is quite sufficient

I have gotten rid of the XP partition for a few years, but as far as I remember it wasn't that difficult. :)