PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Windows 7 running super slow after 12.04 install

Gilbt
November 24th, 2012, 06:18 PM
Hi everybody,
I installed ubuntu 12.04 using the "alongside windows 7" option.
It used unpartitioned space to create its own partition and install ubuntu on it. (about 8 gb)
it all worked great for about 24 hours, and then all of a sudden my windows 7 works super slow (up to a point that i just cant use it).
Do you have any idea why that happened?
Ive read some posts but none of them helped.
I need my windowd 7 working :(

eyfrt
November 24th, 2012, 06:40 PM
Did Windows get any updates before installing Ubuntu? I have noticed that there are some update on Windows 7 which causes slowness. I don't know what update that is, but I have solved that kind of problem about five times by restoring windows.

Gilbt
November 24th, 2012, 06:41 PM
Did Windows get any updates before installing Ubuntu? I have noticed that there are some update on Windows 7 which causes slowness. I don't know what update that is, but I have solved that kind of problem about five times by restoring windows.

I restored windows, didnt help :/

monkeybrain2012
November 24th, 2012, 06:43 PM
Maybe you get a Windows virus.

Gilbt
November 24th, 2012, 06:45 PM
Maybe you get a Windows virus.

very unlikely.

eyfrt
November 24th, 2012, 06:56 PM
Is windows so slow in safe mode too?

Gilbt
November 24th, 2012, 07:06 PM
Is windows so slow in safe mode too?

Ran some tests, it works ok in safe mode.
any ideas?

darkod
November 24th, 2012, 09:11 PM
Not really. In a proper dual boot, like you have, with every OS on its own partition, once you select windows in the grub boot menu, it has nothing to do with ubuntu.

You better start some windows related troubleshooting including on their forums.

It might also be hardware related and it just happened to show when you installed buuntu by coincidence.

eyfrt
November 24th, 2012, 10:24 PM
any ideas?

What about CHKDSK? But if the "failure" won't show up in safe mode, could it still be file system related problem? Is your keyboard/mouse working properly during slowness? No freezing etc...

Mark Phelps
November 24th, 2012, 10:36 PM
any ideas?

Then, it's something that is being loaded when you are NOT running Safe Mode.

You will need to though a tedious procedure of enabling/disabling individual startup items until you find the one causing the slowdown.

If you want to clean up Win7, you should really check in a Windows 7 forum (sevenforums.com).

Gilbt
November 27th, 2012, 02:48 PM
Ran chkdsk after removing ubuntu,
Windows went back to working ok.
Ill reinstalll ubuntu soon and see how it goes.
Thank you everyone for your help!:)