PDA

View Full Version : Petition Adobe Reader for Linux.

pedropalos
November 24th, 2012, 02:50 PM
Taken this initiative and I think valid, who want to contribute and disseminate the following link:

http://www.change.org/petitions/adobe-systems-incorporated-we-want-to-always-have-the-latest-version-of-adobe-reader-on-linux

mike acker
November 24th, 2012, 03:15 PM
Taken this initiative and I think valid, who want to contribute and disseminate the following link:

http://www.change.org/petitions/adobe-systems-incorporated-we-want-to-always-have-the-latest-version-of-adobe-reader-on-linux

what we want is that Adobe/Flash simply be discontinued. To do it all we need to do is update the browsers so that any Flash object created after e.g. 1JAN2013 -- is simply not rendered by any browser. when the web authors squawk tell them to use HTML5 as directed by W3C

the trouble is it's too easy to back date a file so we would have to use a much bigger bug swatter an not display any page added after 1Jan that incorporated flash. we can only modify the behavior of the 'Net by modifying our own behavior first.

it's simpler to just run NOFLASH plug-in. in the end the customizable browser is the best answer to undesirable content. in the end we can only modify the behavior of the 'Net by modifying our own behavior first.

BigCityCat
November 24th, 2012, 03:19 PM
Dont we have pdf readers that are just as good? Aren't adobe products full of security exploits? I'm not sure this is a great idea.

zombifier25
November 24th, 2012, 03:20 PM
No.
1. Adobe won't do it.
2. Even during my Windows times I have always thought it was a bloated piece of junk, and anyone who make Adobe Reader-only PDFs have already gone to hell.
3. Adobe won't do it. If Adobe even CONSIDERED doing this, or even had a slightest thought about this Photoshop would have been ported to Linux.

MadmanRB
November 24th, 2012, 03:47 PM
Its not needed, besides I rather petition to get flash back so that in the near future we on linux are not stuck with chrome.
I know we all hate flash here, I dont casre for it much anymore myself and wish that HTML5 takes over but that may take a while, we will soon only have 4 years left of flash on linux unless wqe use chrome.
We want diversity here, HTML5 may take longer then the time we need to get a drop in replacement for flash so we need adobe to give us the flash plugin back.

Tibuda
November 24th, 2012, 04:25 PM
what we want is that Adobe/Flash simply be discontinued.
What YOU want.

Primefalcon
November 24th, 2012, 04:48 PM
adobe have discontinued everything on Linux now.... so... not gonna happen

sdowney717
November 24th, 2012, 06:00 PM
http://askubuntu.com/questions/89127/how-do-i-install-adobe-acrobat-reader

9.5 still works on linux?
I have not bothered to try.

monkeybrain2012
November 24th, 2012, 06:36 PM
Who cares? I didn't use Adobe's reader even when I was on Windows (now completely switched to Linux), it is a bloated piece of garbage. Besides, Adobe won't do it, so why even bother begging?

Bart_D
November 24th, 2012, 07:16 PM
Foxit is available for Linux. I have found it to be a very mature piece of software.

Having said that, I haven't come across PDFs that are only viewable with Adobe Reader....

What YOU want.

EXACTLY!!!

monkeybrain2012
November 24th, 2012, 07:19 PM
Foxit is available for Linux. I have found it to be a very mature piece of software.

Having said that, I haven't come across PDFs that are only viewable with Adobe Reader....

EXACTLY!!!

Foxit for Linux has been dead since 2009 and it has none of the features of the Windows version. I used it for a short while when the Document Viewer was a bit sluggish, but that was years ago. Since Ubuntu 10.10 I didn't find Foxit in anyway better than the Document Viewer (in fact the Document Viewer has more features like filling forms, though there are better tools for that)

LillyDragon
November 25th, 2012, 03:42 AM
There's no need for Adobe to do this when Ubuntu already comes with Document Reader, and it works extremely fine for PDFs.

Every PDF I've ever opened works under Document Reader. Besides that, I have to agree with everyone that Adobe's PDF viewer was a needlessly bloated piece of trash and I hated having that vile thing load with my system start up. It took forever just to load itself before I could even get to the document!

Document Reader on the other hand, just works and doesn't ask you to load with the system's startup, or nag you for stupid updates. I actually wish there was a Windows version of that app, not a Linux version of Adobe Reader! :P This petition is needless, I'd rather bug Adobe to port more important things, like Photoshop and AfterEffects, to Ubuntu instead.

Jakin
November 25th, 2012, 04:37 AM
http://askubuntu.com/questions/89127/how-do-i-install-adobe-acrobat-reader

9.5 still works on linux?
I have not bothered to try.

Sure does i386deb but works in 64bit Ubuntu, all the same :) Also a search in Software Centre "pdf view" turns up many just as good as Adobes.

scouser73
November 25th, 2012, 11:26 AM
Just use Google Chrome as the reader, if you don't have Chrome then use an alternative reader such as Foxit.

monkeybrain2012
November 25th, 2012, 11:34 AM
Just use Google Chrome as the reader, if you don't have Chrome then use an alternative reader such as Foxit.

What's wrong with the default Document Viewer? Foxit for Linux is dead since 2009 and it is has less functions than the Document Viewer, it can't even open its own manual (which is pdf)

evilsoup
November 25th, 2012, 08:00 PM
Filling in forms is really painful in evince. Has it improved since 12.04 was released?

monkeybrain2012
November 25th, 2012, 08:07 PM
Filling in forms is really painful in evince. Has it improved since 12.04 was released?

Okular is better.

There are some other options, unfortunately the best I found so far involves using WINE (plus side is that it is light weight and doesn't need Adobe) I found Cabaret-stage in ArchLinux's wiki and it looks good, but haven't tested it on forms with formulae, it runs natively in Linux and I have a link in the thread below.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2074856

Bandit
November 25th, 2012, 08:27 PM
Dont we have pdf readers that are just as good? Aren't adobe products full of security exploits? I'm not sure this is a great idea.

Yea same here I always thought we had excellent PDF support on this end. Not sure if OP knows this or not..

Copper Bezel
November 26th, 2012, 02:48 PM
Yeah, it's funny that this is one of those few areas where Linux users have more options than Windows users do. I don't take advantage of them myself - I'm quite happy with Chrome on Linux or Windows as my default PDF viewer. For annotations and forms, I use ezPDF from Android. (I'd love a port of that to Linux, though.)