PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation Woes

Haalden
November 24th, 2012, 07:53 AM
I'm completely new to Ubuntu, I've owned it for basically a single day and after 15 hours (Not an exaggeration) of tinkering with it, trying as hard as I could to troubleshoot my problems, I've decided I just can't stand using Ubuntu if everything is always breaking.

I made the switch from Windows simply because I was led to believe with a few "simple to install" programs I could play the few games I actually play on a Linux, Skype already has Linux support, my drivers would work fine, and "Wine" would hopefully allow me to use the few Windows-only applications I use on a daily basis.

This was a filthy lie.

As soon as I'm booted up I log on, look around at the flashy GUI and set up my audio drivers, and then... my monitor flashes off and everything goes down, queue Problem #1, nVidia video drivers were a pain to download.

After about a full hour of Googling it and typing my first few "sudo" "apt-get" "repository" and all the other terminal commands I've learned in my short time, I finally get GeForce drivers installed and working, hooray! Surely if I could get my drivers installed, Skype, Wine, and the rest would be cake, right?

Dead wrong.

I haven't been using this new computer for more than 2 hours at this point, I go into Software Center and search Skype, easy enough I think, Linux sure is noob-frie.... oh, whats this...? Package dependencies cannot be resolved... huh... oh well, maybe if I google Skype Linux and, oh, there it is! A Skype download specifically for Ubuntu on the Skype download page, lets just click thi-... Wrong Architecture 'i386'...?
Well maybe I can just find the terminal commands to install Skype, lets see.. add a repository, check, sudo apt-get andd.... broken packages.
How can not a single method work for the first program I try to use.
I put Skype off until later, after all, maybe if I download Wine successfully I can just download Windows Skype and launch it through Wine, that should work right?

No idea, never got that far because after going through countless terminal commands, online tutorials, repository adding and deleting... Wine never got on my Ubuntu, I got close once, but it just never quite made it.

Fast Forward to 1:34 AM. I'm a broken shell of what I used to consider myself, nothing on this OS seems to work ever, and I'm at my wits end. I've actually rocked back and forth in my computer chair trying desperately to think of any way I could fix this myself and nothing has worked.

Does anyone have any ideas on something I could try? I really liked Ubuntu and for the first 6 hours it was actually quite fun troubleshooting what I thought I could eventually fix, and downloading programs through just your terminal is a very interesting thing to do. But for now, I'm off to bed, I'm exhausted mentally but I'll check back tomorrow to see if anyone has any ideas or if I should just switch back to Windows, perhaps I'm just not clever enough to use Linux. :(

pkadeel
November 24th, 2012, 08:30 AM
In order to enable others to offer their help, you shall mention a couple of things in your initial post.
Your computer's architecture i.e. 32bit or 64bit?
The OS version and architecture i.e. precise 12.04/quantal 12.10 and 32bit or 64bit
Clearly mentioning which hardware is not working right now.
Which softwares you were not able to install and the error messages which appeared while trying to install.