View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need lots of help

November 23rd, 2012, 10:12 PM
Ok, recently i had Windows 8 and i was speaking to one of my friends who told me about "Ubuntu", i was like what is that???

Anyway i went on the website and downloaded the 12.10 version and burned it to a disk to give it a go...

I found it really nice and such a great desktop! So i went to install it, but i never had the option to install it along with windows 8. so i replaced it with.

While ubuntu was installing i got a whole bunch of error mesages. Telling me that i could not continue or something. i was like wtf!?!?!

Long story short i now have no operating system. i am using "Wondershare LiveBoot 2012 which lets me access the internet.

i tried to down load the windows installer but that was no use as then i got to the "extracting" stage i got an error. so i have downloaded the 12.10 iso file again but i have no disks to burn it on and i have already tried a USB stick.

Please help me resolve my situation :)

-Edit- i got the error when restarting my laptop with the cd in it : BootMng is missing
-edit2- i got another error "unexpected end of file" when extracting the iso file into the disk to make it ready to burn as it shows in one of the pictures in one of the links you provided.

November 23rd, 2012, 10:20 PM

and... welcome!

Concerning your problem I do not think that you need a lot of help. Many errors might be the result of a wrong installation procedure. Are you sure that you have wiped out everything that had to do with windows8?

I would advice you:
1) to burn iso to a dvd to the slowest possible speed (to ensure that dvd is working ok)
2) to download the version of ubuntu corresponding to your hardware architecture (32 bit or 64 bit)
3) boot from dvd drive and since you do not need anything, wipe out everything.

which guide did you follow to install ubuntu? I guess that you have confused the installations side by side and independent one. I would advice you to see this:

and this in case you have some more troubles:

Also, do not forget to post exactly which errors you got and which procedure you followed. That way, someone with same problems before, will be able to help you.

November 23rd, 2012, 10:24 PM
did you disable the Windows 8 Secure Boot in BIOS before you ran the disc ?