PDA

View Full Version : CNR for ubuntu?

Adamant1988
July 4th, 2006, 06:38 AM
At the risk of being berated by the community I thought I would ask about this...
I heard there were talks about getting CNR for Ubuntu... is there anyone here willing to discuss this without the use of pitchforks or extra-thick lynching rope?

I *personally* think Ubuntu would benefit a lot from CNR... just the Aisles feature is worth it, but being able to LEGALLY download and install the option to play commercial dvds would be great as well. I've played briefly with Linspire and my limited experience with CNR (a trial) was very positive...

The "my software" aisle or w/e saves all the programs you install.. if you install fresh on any computer and start up CNR and download that aisle you've managed to reinstall all your important apps with a single click.

Discuss, and please keep it at discussion.. I don't feel like being berated on my favorite forums...

I would be very excited if Ubuntu offered CNR in the near future... I think it could help to solve a lot of the problems that the 'end user' has with Ubuntu...

mstlyevil
July 4th, 2006, 06:51 AM
At the risk of being berated by the community I thought I would ask about this...
I heard there were talks about getting CNR for Ubuntu... is there anyone here willing to discuss this without the use of pitchforks or extra-thick lynching rope?

I *personally* think Ubuntu would benefit a lot from CNR... just the Aisles feature is worth it, but being able to LEGALLY download and install the option to play commercial dvds would be great as well. I've played briefly with Linspire and my limited experience with CNR (a trial) was very positive...

The "my software" aisle or w/e saves all the programs you install.. if you install fresh on any computer and start up CNR and download that aisle you've managed to reinstall all your important apps with a single click.

Discuss, and please keep it at discussion.. I don't feel like being berated on my favorite forums...

I would be very excited if Ubuntu offered CNR in the near future... I think it could help to solve a lot of the problems that the 'end user' has with Ubuntu...

I think it was only talk and that Linspire probally will no follow up on it. We have not heard anything from them in six months about it.

Adamant1988
July 4th, 2006, 07:02 AM
That saddens me... I love ubuntu so, but I know that no one in my community is going to adopt a version of linux that doesn't come with all batteries enabled or easily enabled...

mstlyevil
July 4th, 2006, 07:13 AM
That saddens me... I love ubuntu so, but I know that no one in my community is going to adopt a version of linux that doesn't come with all batteries enabled or easily enabled...

If you like Ubby then refer them to Mepis 6 since it is based on ubby with all the batteries included.

kripkenstein
July 4th, 2006, 07:17 AM
Personally, I wouldn't want CNR in Ubuntu. The basic system should be 100% free IMO.

But, there is no reason why some third party wouldn't distribute Ubuntu+CNR, or Ubuntu+some other paid-service way to run DVDs, etc. Canonical's agreement would be nice - and if it were official, if would be able to be on all Ubuntu CDs - but, again, this isn't necessary. Nothing is stopping someone from selling Ubuntu + a disc of proprietary software alongside it (it would have to be a separate CD, because of GPL issues - I think. IANAL, and all that).

So, if there were enough of a 'need' for this, I am sure someone would do it and make a nice profit. But, as I started out, I'm not sure it's that called-for - Ubuntu is 100% free, at base; if you want non-free, you have MEPIS, etc. In fact, MEPIS is now based on Ubuntu, so really they are almost doing what I said in the previous paragraph.

Adamant1988
July 4th, 2006, 07:25 AM
yeah, I guess I'm also meaning in a professional sense. You can go to the store and find a Linspire boxed set, and setting up DVD support on them legally is easy (although it costs a little).

I guess what I'm saying is that I don't want my computer to be a violation of the DMCA (no matter how draconian it is.). I love Ubuntu though, and I doubt it will leave my computer EVER except for another version.

Ubuntu covers the needs of the business market well, and the educational market well, and the server market (I guess), well enough too. The only people who are forced to do something illegal to get ubuntu to do what they want are the end/home users... I suppose I am a little to preoccupied with trying to find a legal solution for all my (and my families and friends) needs.

mstlyevil
July 4th, 2006, 07:28 AM
yeah, I guess I'm also meaning in a professional sense. You can go to the store and find a Linspire boxed set, and setting up DVD support on them legally is easy (although it costs a little).

I guess what I'm saying is that I don't want my computer to be a violation of the DMCA (no matter how draconian it is.). I love Ubuntu though, and I doubt it will leave my computer EVER except for another version.

Ubuntu covers the needs of the business market well, and the educational market well, and the server market (I guess), well enough too. The only people who are forced to do something illegal to get ubuntu to do what they want are the end/home users... I suppose I am a little to preoccupied with trying to find a legal solution for all my (and my families and friends) needs.

That is a huge problem not with just ubuntu but with almost all distros out there including the big boys. But at the rate Linux is now growing it should not be long before a legal solution is on the market.

mcduck
July 4th, 2006, 08:15 AM
That is a huge problem not with just ubuntu but with almost all distros out there including the big boys. But at the rate Linux is now growing it should not be long before a legal solution is on the market.
Fluendo is promising their commrcial DVD player for linux to be finished during 2:nd half of 2006.. So there's a legal solution almost ready :)

deanlinkous
July 4th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Linspire is working on freespire which should also be when they open source the CNR client and probably then you should be able to use it on any distro you want. Whether Linspire or anyone manages to setup the CNR server part for ubuntu is another story.

That being said, as long as linspire is behind it then I would never use it. Now if a truly "free" distro was behind the whole thing then that would be another matter. I just figure it is too much trouble to maintain in the current form for any distro to consider it. I wonder if that is why the software in CNR is old is because it is a lot of hassle to keep up to date? As well as the security updates or lack thereof.

As far as aisles - I dont think something *similar* would be hard to implement locally for most package managers but you would have to backup the file and restore it. I usually just use apt and just keep a list and copy and paste.

matthinckley
July 4th, 2006, 06:14 PM
why doesn't somebody just make an add-on cd for ubuntu that has all the proprietary codecs on it, then sell it for a marginal fee? All you would have to do is package all the codecs on to cd's and for every one that is sold, pay the licensing parties..

I personally don't have the time or the resources to do this myself, but it seems to me that this wouldn't be very difficult..

aysiu
July 4th, 2006, 06:25 PM
I think it might be a little more complicated than that. After all, if it were only a money issue, you could download the illegal codecs and then just pay the parties yourself.

In the meantime, the kind of CD you're talking about already exists, but it's free:
https://ubuntuplus.bountysource.com/

matthinckley
July 4th, 2006, 06:28 PM
probably right about it being more complicated than I made it out to be.. I haven't researched any of this either... awesome that a CD like that exists though..