PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Problems mounting "/"

xtiano77
November 23rd, 2012, 02:28 AM
I have an old HP Pavilion dv6000 laptop with a dual core processor and 2GB Memory. I recently removed the factory hard drive and installed an OCZ Vertex 3 SSD. Then I installed Kubuntu 12.04 and it ran fine; however, about 2 months ago I decided to instal Xubuntu in order to get a little more speed out of the system and that is when everything went wrong. Since then I began getting error messages during booting about the "/" not found or unable to mount. I re-installed Kubuntu and enabled trim in the "fstab" file; however the errors do not stop and now the system will not boot. The errors begin when when I try to use Firefox, the system begins to show alert messages that Firefox is already running and after that hardly any other program runs.

I talked to the IT guy in my office because he knows a little bit about Linux and he suggested installing the old hard drive and reinstalling the system. He also suggested updating the BIOS; however, most of the BIOS upgrade information I found is for Windows.

Can anyone shed some light on this? I would hate to have to trash the laptop if the errors do not stop after installing the old hard drive. Thanks in advance.

UPDATE: 11/24/2012

Finally, I replaced the SSD with the old mechanical and reinstalled Xubuntu and everything seems to be working fine. Thanks to those who read the thread. I will update this posting when I find the answer to the problem.