PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Firefox doesn't launch from menu

dkarnows
November 23rd, 2012, 01:00 AM
Since upgrading to Xubuntu 12.10 Firefox doesn't launch from the menu or from a launcher on my Xubuntu panel. No GUI error message is displayed and the process continues running in the background, but no window opens. Firefox does however launch fine when I open a terminal and run it from the command like. When I modify the menu/panel launch item so that the stdout/stderr is redirected I get these errors which I don't get when I run it from the command line:

(firefox:2822): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: cannot register existing type `GdkWindow'

(firefox:2822): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_once_init_leave: assertion `result != 0' failed

(firefox:2822): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_window_get_display: assertion `GDK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed

Any help appreciated.

rai4shu2
November 23rd, 2012, 08:55 PM
What's the setting in Settings Manager / Preferred Applications for "Web Browser"? It sounds to me like that didn't get upgraded properly.

dentaku65
November 23rd, 2012, 09:35 PM
What about to launch from terminal:

LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1 firefox

dkarnows
November 24th, 2012, 02:09 AM
What's the setting in Settings Manager / Preferred Applications for "Web Browser"? It sounds to me like that didn't get upgraded properly.

It was "Debian Sensible Browser". I changed it to "Mozilla Firefox" & rebooted. No better. Still can't launch from menu/panel.

What about to launch from terminal:

LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1 firefox

Launches fine from the terminal when I do this. But as stated in the original post it always worked fine when I launch from the terminal (with or without that LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1). My problem isn't launching from a terminal. My problem is launching directly from the Xubuntu menu ("Internet -> Firefox Web Browser") or panel (both of which are just set to launch "firefox").

dentaku65
November 24th, 2012, 08:39 AM
Sorry I've read incorrectly your #1 post; how your firefox launcher from panel looks?

Here is mine.

dkarnows
November 25th, 2012, 02:36 AM
how your firefox launcher from panel looks?

Mine is identical to yours.

dentaku65
November 25th, 2012, 04:45 AM
Mine is identical to yours.

Are you using the default Xubuntu Greybird theme?

dkarnows
November 27th, 2012, 04:29 AM
Are you using the default Xubuntu Greybird theme?

I wasn't. I don't think I was running any theme (nothing was highlighted). I changed to Greybird and tried again. No luck. Still no window when launched from menu or panel. I've since changed to the Clearlooks theme (which also doesn't fix my problem, but looks nice ;-) )

bonzodog
December 1st, 2012, 06:23 PM
I am also getting this frankly strange behaviour. Anyone got any ideas? Like OP, just installed Xubuntu ontop of ubuntu 12.10.

Edit: solved this after another 10 minutes of fiddling. Try editing the launcher entries to include the whole path, so it launches with /usr/bin/firefox. This works.

dkarnows
December 3rd, 2012, 12:30 PM
Edit: solved this after another 10 minutes of fiddling. Try editing the launcher entries to include the whole path, so it launches with /usr/bin/firefox. This works.

Doesn't work for me. I think my problem must be different from yours.