PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 12.04 to 12.10 Upgrade - No desktop after login

alphanumericone
November 22nd, 2012, 06:47 AM
The upgrade seemed to go very smooth.
After reboot, I get prompted with the login screen.
I log in and see the desktop background image, but nothing else.
No menu on the left, no clock across the top, no power button, etc.

Any ideas? Help is appreciated!

a

ymilev
November 22nd, 2012, 08:42 AM
Same problem. Pls help

mörgæs
November 22nd, 2012, 12:21 PM
Both of you: Please give a complete hardware description.

darkod
November 22nd, 2012, 01:03 PM
Did you need to activate or install any video driver in 12.04? If yes, you might need to do it again in 12.10.

Did you try to run the 12.10 cd in live mode to see if it loads fine?

ymilev
November 22nd, 2012, 02:07 PM
System is laptop HP probok 4510s with CPU C2D T5870, 4 GB DDR2 800, 500 GB SATA HDD, ATI Mobility Radeon HD4330
Computer was running 12.04LTS before the upgrade and upgrade was cancelled once due to internet connection drop-down, then resumed successfully.
After upgrade OS is loading and login screen looks normally, but after login appears only the usual background with the files saved on desktop. No starter ribbon and no upper ribbon (with the keyboard layout, clock, network, system button etc.)

Files on desktop can be opened - LibreOffice and PDF reader are working. Terminal opens using Ctrl-Alt-T, and firefox can be opened - WiFi works, but shows this message:

dakata@yordan-laptop:~$ firefox

** (firefox:19316): WARNING **: Failed to open webapp application path dir /usr/share/ubuntu/unity-webapps/userscripts: Грешка при отваряне на папка „/usr/share/ubuntu/unity-webapps/userscripts“: Няма такъв файл или директория

(cyrrilic text to be read as Error opening folder "....." : No such file or directory)

** (firefox:19316): WARNING **: Failed to open webapp application path dir /usr/share/gnome/unity-webapps/userscripts: Грешка при отваряне на папка „/usr/share/gnome/unity-webapps/userscripts“: Няма такъв файл или директория

** (firefox:19316): WARNING **: Failed to open webapp application path dir /usr/local/share/unity-webapps/userscripts: Грешка при отваряне на папка „/usr/local/share/unity-webapps/userscripts“: Няма такъв файл или директория

I can access screen settings by clicking Right mouse button, but option "Hide starter ribbon" is not active by dafault. After ticking it nothing changes

To the next questions: Did not tried 12.10 by liveCD - just upgrade by update manager
Maybe previos version uses proprietary driver for video, but now I cannot open the utility for drivers

mörgæs
November 22nd, 2012, 02:38 PM
... before the upgrade and upgrade was cancelled once due to internet connection drop-down

This is likely the reason. An upgrade is a very sensitive process, and often it fails when interrupted.

then resumed successfully.

I wouldn't be so sure about that.

There is more advise in the link in my signature.