PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to launch xterm?

fugue137
November 22nd, 2012, 01:45 AM
Hi!

I'm not new to Linux or Unix, but I'm new to Ubuntu 12.04.

I want a button in the launcher or panel or something such that when I click on it, an xterm appears.

I have a button that launches an xterm, but it only works once. Obviously rubbish--the xterm is a versatile tool, and it's absurd to assume that I'd only want one. Sort of like screws: give a carpenter a screw, let her screw something to something else, then when she asks for another, give her the same one again. Thanks for what?

I don't want a gnome-terminal. I don't want to have to go through layers Dash just to get another xterm. I don't want to have to create 10 differently-named launchers each of which works once. I want a launcher that launches an xterm, godsdammit, please.

I've tried right-clicking everywhere, and found nothing useful.

I've tried creating new launchers, using these instructions: http://www.geekyboy.com/archives/384 They just give me more of what I already have.

Thanks for reading!

Bashing-om
November 22nd, 2012, 04:07 AM
fugue137; Hi !

ctl+alt+t -> gives me any number of terminals -one each reinteration- that I care to launch.

Is this what you have in mind ? (each terminal can have it's own profile if desired )

just try'n to help <== BDQ

snowpine
November 22nd, 2012, 04:28 AM
why not just type

xterm &

in your active xterm?
Then you don't even need to move your hands from the keyboard to the mouse. :)

LuisGMarine
November 22nd, 2012, 05:30 AM
I think this is what you are looking for ...

http://handytutorial.com/manually-create-custom-application-launcher-in-ubuntu-12-10-unity/

let me know if this is it, and if it works, post back if you have any trouble ...

zombifier25
November 22nd, 2012, 08:50 AM
If you want to launch a new instance of xterm from the icon in the Launcher, middle-click on it. Works with any application.

snowpine
November 22nd, 2012, 03:09 PM
If you want to launch a new instance of xterm from the icon in the Launcher, middle-click on it. Works with any application.

That's a really good tip, I learned something! Yet another reason to love Gnome 3/Unity... Thanks. :)

stinkeye
November 22nd, 2012, 05:19 PM
The answer given and many more are available by hitting the Super(windows) key
and typing help in the dash.