PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Blinking cursor when installing

Blisk
November 21st, 2012, 12:16 PM
I have downloaded all versions of ubuntu 10 to 12 and it is impossible to install it. I always get blinking cursor on black screen and that's it.
I tryed on 3 differend computers one is brand new laptop acer.
And it is no way to instal ubuntu on any of it.

Today I tried Lubuntu on old laptop and it is the same. Blinking cursor

The only way to install ubuntu on new laptop was with wubi, than with partition manager i maded 2 new partitions and than moved that ubuntu installation on new partition and than delete windows and after that expand partition for linux to whole disk.

What is happening with ubuntu this use to be a good distribution, now it doesn't work on almost any pc.

Blisk
November 21st, 2012, 12:19 PM
I also have burned iso dvd to slow rate 2x, on another dvd recorder, etc.
and tryed some solution on internet and nothing worked

cwsnyder
November 21st, 2012, 01:25 PM
To make sure I understand, when you install, are you installing from a Live CD which works? You have checked your .iso file with the selection on the GRUB menu to make sure your download was good or checked with md5sum or sha256sum against the listings on http://releases.ubuntu.com on the version you downloaded?

Blisk
November 21st, 2012, 01:50 PM
To make sure I understand, when you install, are you installing from a Live CD which works? You have checked your .iso file with the selection on the GRUB menu to make sure your download was good or checked with md5sum or sha256sum against the listings on http://releases.ubuntu.com on the version you downloaded?

YES to all questions and I have almost 35 Cds and DVDs here and on everycomputer is the same.
I have also burned with slow speed and another burner and another computer and downloaded from mirrors etc.
After a week of doing almost everything I used wubi and done with that!

mörgæs
November 21st, 2012, 02:06 PM
For the blinking cursor problem this thread might be worth reading:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1743535

Long story short, I guess you need boot options.

Blisk
November 22nd, 2012, 07:50 AM
For the blinking cursor problem this thread might be worth reading:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1743535

Long story short, I guess you need boot options.
I also have tryed that but still nothing works.

So it is much easier way to install it with wubi, which on winxp doesn't work :)
So I asked myself what is happend to the best distribution of linux? Nothing works anymore.....

mörgæs
November 22nd, 2012, 12:20 PM
What exactly have you tried? If we should be able to help you need to provide all details you could possible think of.

coldraven
November 22nd, 2012, 12:33 PM
I once bought a box of Memorex CD RW discs and they were all duff. Some sort of manufacturing fault meant that they had small scratches nearest the hole. That section is where the writing starts so they all failed.

Blisk
November 22nd, 2012, 01:27 PM
Oh yes I forgot one error which I get from 2 installation CDs.
Invalid or corrupt kernel image

efflandt
November 23rd, 2012, 07:14 AM
Maybe there is something wrong with your CD drive writing or reading. Although, if you tried writing them on different computers you would think something would work. If you boot a CD and hit any key when you first see symbols at the bottom of a purple screen, they should be a selection in the resulting text menu to check the (CD) disk itself against the checksum on the CD. That should usually find a corrupted disk (or read problems with the drive). Although, I have a CD/DVD drive on one old laptop that gets flaky after playing a DVD for about 90 minutes.

What video card or chip is on those computers. At least with nvidia, various Ubuntu versions sometimes require nomodset boot parameter only during install, sometimes only after install, or sometimes both. But it does not hurt to try that parameter in any case. The nomodeset parameter forces the use of user space video modules (which can be loaded/unloaded as needed) instead of the newer kernel mode setting.

If you changed memory in any of the computers you may want to download a separate iso for memtest86+ and run that for awhile to see if you have any memory issues. I have run across a couple of cases where memory that should have been compatible with a PC would have occasional issues and produced errors with memtest86+. Yet that same RAM lives on in another computer with no memtest errors.

Blisk
November 23rd, 2012, 10:56 AM
On new laptop, brand new from store don't know what vga card is. I tryed also with external DVD unit it was the same. I tryed almost everything I remembered and readed on internet what can be wrong. Nothing helped.

On this old laptop it is Intel graphic.
and I manage to install lubuntu over wubi with some tricks but it is to heavy for that laptop with 256 MB of ram.

Also nomodeset I tryed but didn't worked I get kernel error.

I didn't do memtest because That was about 4 PCs where nothing worked when I try to install ubuntu and I am soure all cant be problem.
Like I wrote before on new laptop I have installed it with wubi and partition manager and all that stuff to manage to have it no hard disk like when you installed it from cd.
And now all works ok. but still why installation doesn't work?
When I tryed with wubi and have the same image ond CD which was extracted and installed on laptop, when runned from CD doesn't work when installed with wubi works?