PDA

View Full Version : Low cost Linux friendly PC

arashiko28
November 21st, 2012, 03:19 AM
Let's make it simple, my mom needs a new computer all she does is very basic stuff, web browsing, video streaming and solitaire or mahjong game. Now she has a pretty old computer with lxde.

I saw a Linux report on computer with pre-installed linux and saw this integrated keyboard PC, the specs are pretty good, but I want to know more about it before I step into a purchase, the keyboard PC is Diablotek U310.

I know it's a low cost, but I'm not in the US and my salary is not in dollars, meaning that for me it's expensive, but I'm looking for a long term solution, not two months toy.

Any sort of reviews about the device will be useful.
Thanks in advance.

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
November 21st, 2012, 05:31 AM
it is a Intel atom cpu... too weak/low end imo, you pay a lot for the compact form factor you can get more of the money if you have space
if you have space for a desktop pick something with a Intel Pentium chip
if you have a desktop you could reuse the case and rebuild it with better parts

mastablasta
November 21st, 2012, 07:57 AM
what about a tablet? since she is mostly consuming content. there are some good ones that are cheapish. like some GoClever Tablets models

another option is USB computer with android: http://liliputing.com/2012/10/mk802-iii-mini-pc-rk3066-dual-core-cpu-and-android-4-1.html

80$ or less.... not bad.

Raspberry PI is another option but it might be slow also the waiting list is long again..

also an option is cheap 14" notebook with low power CPU (like Asus X401U, or X501U ).

depends how much dolars you have to spend....

for 200 USD you get plenty of netbooks. you can always add a keyboard to them and connect them to TV/monitor (for bigger screen) via HDMI.

mamamia88
November 21st, 2012, 08:04 AM
you have black friday in the dominican republic? perfect week to buy something if you do. most places you can even buy online so you don't even have to leave the house. just focus more on the graphics capability than the cpu if she does a lot of streaming.

mastablasta
November 21st, 2012, 09:23 AM
you have black friday in the dominican republic? .

it's USA holiday (well day after USA holiday). i don't think anyone else has it. we have a similar thing after new year's day. similar because the discounts were never so big. in fact tech stuff is expencive as ever. what i wonder is what happens with the goods they can't/don't sell. i.e. older models for example. i mean since they are not wiling to reduce prices for more than maybe 20% at best.

ugm6hr
November 21st, 2012, 11:12 PM
I know it's a low cost, but I'm not in the US and my salary is not in dollars, meaning that for me it's expensive, but I'm looking for a long term solution, not two months toy.

I think an Atom-based device is fine for what you are trying to do. But I actually think a second-hand desktop computer, or perhaps a second-hand Atom-based media centre, might be better value.

You haven't said how much this computer is, but I'd start by comparing options on ebay, since most sellers will ship internationally on request.

kurt18947
November 22nd, 2012, 12:13 AM
You might also look at TigerDirect/CompUSA. They're in the Miami area. I don't know if that would help with shipping or not. I was just playing on their site and had an AMD/Gigabyte bundle deal put together for $199 U.S. including Mother Board, processor, RAM, Power Supply and case. I don't recall if it included an optical drive. The machine I'm posting this on is similar and is more than adequate for your mother's needs.

swoll1980
November 22nd, 2012, 08:39 PM
I saw a android pc the other day for $50 US.

mythic97
November 24th, 2012, 11:10 PM
if you want low cost Linux friendly a chromebook should be on this list dose the basics and you can put Ubuntu on it if you want

Dlambert
November 25th, 2012, 03:53 AM
The Diablotec PC is 199$ and comes with Ubuntu pre-installed, I think it's great for the price, and all of it is housed in a keyboard! It will work great for your mom's needs. Try it, and if she doesn't like it return it. Simple.

Dlambert
November 25th, 2012, 04:00 AM
Here's more information about the PC:

To buy (locally for me): http://pcdirect.com/diu3alkepcwi1.html

With Monitor: http://pcdirect.com/diu3alkepcwi.html

Fully functional PC in a Keyboard!
Experiencing the Innovation with high Mobility of Keyboard PC, the ultimate small All-In-One unit in PC market. All the parts are integrated inside this Keyboard PC with Intel Atom 1.8GHz Dual core CPU, 2GB DDR3 RAM, 500Gb hard drive capacity, Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n connectivity, 2 speakers equipped and most importantly it has LINUX system preinstalled.

Flexibility - With the built-in VGA interface, this Keyboard PC is compatible with multiple display terminals such as LCD, High-definition flat TV and projector.
Energy Saving – With Intel Atom processor, the entire power consumption for Keyboard PC is less than 17.5W, which is only one tenth of the one traditional desktop PC usage.
Ultra low acoustic noise – Keyboard PC has excellent thermal design to meet the low noise standard (≤ 26dB)
Multiplicity of usage – With 4 USB2.0 Ports extensibility, you are able to connect to all your external devices.
Space Saving – No more extra space occupied by regular desktop PC, you can freely use the Keyboard PC for your home entertainment, office and meeting room to have a clean, tidy environment
Note: Login to the user account with the default password "password" to set up for the first time.

Specifications:
UPC 843636005281 CPU Intel Atom D525 1.8GHz (Dual core) Operation System LINUX Display N/A System Memory DDR3 2GB Sound System 2 speakers inside Hard Drive Capacity 500G I/O Ports 1x Line-Out
4x USB v2.0
1x VGA Port
1x RJ45
1x DC-In Port
1x COM Port Network wireless 802.11b/g/n camera N/A Power No Battery In/Output Adapter 19V 2A Adaptor Audio Player Azalia Codec
2 speakers inside Video Player Intel GMA3150 Package content Quick User Guide
USB Mouse
Power Cord
Driver CD
2 speakers inside Unit Dimension(W×H×D) W 18.11" x 6.57" x 1.18" (460 x 167 x 30MM) Unit Weights 4.91 lbs (2.23KG) EMC/EMI Standard CCC, CE, KCC

Bandit
November 25th, 2012, 05:11 AM
Atom /shrugg...

I would at least get something with a i3 or dual core i5. If not a Samsung Tablet would be my second choice..

Warpnow
November 25th, 2012, 05:56 AM
The MK802 III has had ubuntu ported to it. It cost less than $75, has a dual core arm processor, a quad core gpu, and fits in your pocket. Hook it up at an HDMI monitor and keyboard/mouse, and web browsing and basic stuff shouldn't be a problem.

It might be slower than an atom, I'm not sure, but its significantly cheaper and more portable, and no moving parts means it should last a while.

houseworkshy
November 25th, 2012, 06:00 AM
As to the hardware browse the software first with a view to compatability. So go to the sites of the disto's your're considering and search.
Only after that is known go shopping for hardware. My Mum actually got rid of a cannon printer because she'd fallen for linux and her windows experiances had been so bad she wouldn't go back.
As you are thinking long term get something which has or can have added a lot of RAM, that is the part that dates fastest. What seemed hugely generous a few years ago struggles now, this trend will probably continue. As your Mum uses media make sure that the RAM which the operating system requires is greatly exceeded to allow for the applications on top, some of the contempory user interphases already need almost a gig just to tick over.
Also, unless your Mum is a bit of a geek, go for a major distribution which has a large user base so help is easy to find, ideally one which is more stability than development based. Also think about the way your Mum is most likely to use her machine, sit up and beg desktop, ambling around laptop or touchscreen tablet. Distributions have differant focues. Personal opinion is that desktops are cheaper and easier to maintain because individual parts can be fixed or replaced more easily.
So in short, how will your mum use it, which OS's deliver that best, check compatability with hardware, choose based on that and pump the RAM.

ugm6hr
November 25th, 2012, 09:59 PM
Without HDMI, I wouldn't consider it, especially if you have an LCD monitor.
Though it does seem cheap...

ARM-based options may prove to be a good option in the future.

leclerc65
November 26th, 2012, 06:03 AM
Phoronix raves about the Samsung A15 Chromebook that can run Ubuntu:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=samsung_chrome_a15&num=1

But at 250$ it's not what the OP wants.

mips
November 26th, 2012, 07:28 AM
I would not get a Atom based PC, a much better option would be to get one of those AMD Fusion APU based PCs. At least they have a decent CPU and average GPU on the same chip.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_Fusion

TeamRocket1233c
November 26th, 2012, 03:55 PM
I got a Vista-era HP Compaq running Ubuntu 12.10 over here, it runs it great. Skimping a little bit on the specs, but the Sempron 3400+ is a decent CPU.

dolphin194
November 26th, 2012, 04:52 PM
I don't think that a PC with an Atom processor would be able to handle the heavy load of streaming. Those computers with Atom processors are not designed to handle a heavy load of streaming, but more a little bit of usage every day.

critin
November 26th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Let's make it simple, my mom needs a new computer all she does is very basic stuff, web browsing, video streaming and solitaire or mahjong game. Now she has a pretty old computer with lxde.

I saw a Linux report on computer with pre-installed linux and saw this integrated keyboard PC, the specs are pretty good, but I want to know more about it before I step into a purchase, the keyboard PC is Diablotek U310.

Any sort of reviews about the device will be useful.
Thanks in advance.

This link is on Amazon. Scroll to the bottom and read the reviews from people who have used it.
http://www.amazon.com/Diablotek-Dual-Core-1-8GHz-Keyboard-Wireless-N/dp/B007W66BRG

Personally, I would not buy something that has all the works squeezed into a keyboard. It would be difficult to add ram or hdd if you needed to. If the keyboard itself quit working, you couldn't just run downtown for a replacement.

Look at ebay for a cheap used desktop with low shipping cost. Sometimes the shipping brings the total cost up too high.

Sometimes you can find one from someone wanting to sell, and in your own town.

Artemis3
November 26th, 2012, 05:23 PM
it is a Intel atom cpu... too weak/low end imo, you pay a lot for the compact form factor

I don't agree. The dual core atoms are pretty fast, especially for simple desktop usage.
You can build a decent mini atx machine under 300$, and screw that case in the back of the monitor (using the vesa mount).

http://resources.mini-box.com/online/M350/images/m350_small2.gif

Artemis3
November 26th, 2012, 05:30 PM
I don't think that a PC with an Atom processor would be able to handle the heavy load of streaming.

They can play h264/aac HD content, is that stream heavy enough for you? There is even a board with nvidia gpu; which is overkill for this case. The ARM solutions could be interesting, if you are willing to forget flash...

Bandit
November 26th, 2012, 08:23 PM
I would not get a Atom based PC, a much better option would be to get one of those AMD Fusion APU based PCs. At least they have a decent CPU and average GPU on the same chip.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_Fusion

Very true...

Bandit
November 26th, 2012, 08:41 PM
My suggestion:

Shuttle XPC Z77 $350 Chipset http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856101129
Samsung 830series 128GB SSD $103 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147163
Corsair Vengence Low Profile DD3-1600 4GB $21 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233257
Intel i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual Core CPU $129 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116775

Total Cost = $603 plus shipping.

Yes its prob little more then you want, but its got a SSD, Intel HD4000 Graphics, Very fast CPU, USB 3.0..

This is as small and cheap as you can go while still maintaining a super fast computer.

You may not like the shuttle bare bone but I have had very good luck with them and really enjoyed the computer.

Other Option: Mac MINI $599 http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/mac_mini

Warpnow
November 26th, 2012, 11:10 PM
This is as small and cheap as you can go while still maintaining a super fast computer.

He doesn't need a super fast computer, and he has already said $199 is very expensive for him, and he's outside the US, so prolly won't be able to buy from newegg.

Bandit
November 27th, 2012, 02:30 AM
He doesn't need a super fast computer, and he has already said $199 is very expensive for him, and he's outside the US, so prolly won't be able to buy from newegg.

My bad, I iver looked that part.

Only real suggestion is to visit a PC repair shop and see if they got any systems for sale around that price range.

mastablasta
November 27th, 2012, 08:18 AM
They can play h264/aac HD content, is that stream heavy enough for you? There is even a board with nvidia gpu; which is overkill for this case. The ARM solutions could be interesting, if you are willing to forget flash...

i am curious, since i do not have any ARM deveices - what is wrong with flash on ARM?

yes Atom is more than enough for office/desktop use and some websurfing. the issue with Atom (in linux) is that latest version doesn't really have Intel GPU and hence their drivers are no good in linux. you will get 2D support, maybe some movies decoding but no 3D.

AMD (C60 or E450) seems to be a better choice for linux at the moment. or slightly older models of Atom. they also work good in linux.

advantage of these CPU is also low energy consumption.

ugm6hr
November 27th, 2012, 01:30 PM
Remember s/he is looking for sub $200 (non US). Unfortunate s/he has disappeared for 6 days from this discussion.

Anyway, I have just seen this linked to from lxer:
http://kb9rlw.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/cheap-and-silent-desktop-linux-box.html

A second-hand Intel Mac Mini appears to fit the bill. I have never used DVI out, but adaptors for HDMI are <$20 generally, if your monitor / TV doesn't have DVI.

TeamRocket1233c
November 27th, 2012, 03:59 PM
Have you considered maybe the Athlon II X2 + a decent NVIDIA GPU? I mean AMD chips are cheaper than Intel.