PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Random freezes on MBP9,2 + Ubuntu 12.04

unbuntu
November 20th, 2012, 03:22 PM
I have a MBP9,2 (mid-2012) at work. I put Ubuntu 12.04 on it after some efforts. Everything works more or less now, except I get random freezing every now and then. I have to power off the machine to restore it. Wondering if anyone had the similar issue.

My setup:
* MacBook Pro 9,2 (mid 2012)
* Ubuntu 12.04 (installed using the special image for Macs)
* No proprietary drivers
* xmonad on Unity 2D
* sometimes I hook up a Belkin USB hub to give me more USB ports

hubertofliege
November 28th, 2012, 10:25 PM
I have a similar problem.

Laptop: Asus B53J
Processor: Intel I5
Graphics card: ATK, I think.

System freezes every time I use it.

Symptoms:

- Sometimes I can move the mouse, sometimes I can't.
- It happens randomly, even while browsing the internet.
- It can be a few hours after I start it up, or sooner.
- It happens invariably if I try to load music to a music player through Rhythm Box

unbuntu
November 28th, 2012, 10:44 PM
An update: I upgraded to Ubuntu 12.10, and never had a freeze since the upgrade. I think 12.10 supports MBP9,2 better, simple as that.

I would love to stick with 12.04 because it's LTS, but looks like I have to move to 12.10.

hubertofliege
November 29th, 2012, 06:15 PM
Unfortunately, this didn't work for me. Still looking for a way to diagnose a crash.

mlpinto
December 3rd, 2012, 11:13 AM
Sorry I can't help with a resolution, but I am seeing a similar sounding issue with Ubuntu 12.10 on my Macmini - set-up as dual boot with OSX using REFInd.

Sometimes it will run for hours with no issues (especially un-attended as a server) but other times, it will freeze with a variety of apps open.

Any suggestions as to how I can diagnose the root cause would be appreciated.

hubertofliege
January 2nd, 2013, 03:04 AM
I'd like to top this.

I don't understand how random crashes can continue to be a persistent problem without there being a clear, centralized trouble shooting guide. Is there anything like that? This is a major problem for me, and its forcing me to go back to Windows. I don't work as efficiently on windows, and I'm desperate to try something. Any ideas would be appreciated.

clumsyNInja
January 2nd, 2013, 05:34 AM
I think I may be having a similar issue, I have a macbook2,1 and it freezes pretty regularly on 12.10. Do you know what wireless driver you are using? I think that may be the cause at least in my case. Also has it ever crashed to console? That is the usual crash I get but I have also just gotten complete freezes.

hubertofliege
January 3rd, 2013, 08:30 AM
I have gotten both of those!

Why/how did you begin to suspect your wireless driver? Whats frustrating me so much is that I don't even know where to begin.

Is there anything that the system log can tell me?