PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Dual G4 PowerMac too slow for recording?

jsedwards
November 19th, 2012, 08:02 PM
I've been trying to use this old PowerMac to record 24-bit audio at 192 KHz. I'm using arecord but it gets buffer overruns quite often even when running with real-time priority (-9).

Would using a low-latency/realtime kernel help or is this machine just too old/slow?

powerpcliberation
November 21st, 2012, 09:53 PM
You don't list any system specs so I guess people are supposed to guess what they are?

If it's a dual G4 then it's at least a 450 MHz and with the right software even that dual 450 low end of the scale would be lots of power.

I normally always encourage the use of Linux on PowerPC Macs since OS X is no longer supported but not in this situation. Audio work is where the Mac with it's OS and software selection excel. The key is to figure out what software you would prefer and use older versions. I know several people that get by fine with single G3 systems doing audio work.

Asking if it's too slow is all based on the person using it. Any computer is only as capable as the skills, habits and knowledge base of the person using it.

jsedwards
November 22nd, 2012, 09:09 PM
You don't list any system specs so I guess people are supposed to guess what they are?

My apologies, I should have included that, doh!

If it's a dual G4 then it's at least a 450 MHz and with the right software even that dual 450 low end of the scale would be lots of power.

Yes it is 450 MHz. I have discovered that it records fine at 176400 Hz and that is probably good enough. Since there are cases where I want to down-sample to 44100 maybe it is better.

I normally always encourage the use of Linux on PowerPC Macs since OS X is no longer supported but not in this situation. Audio work is where the Mac with it's OS and software selection excel. The key is to figure out what software you would prefer and use older versions.

I have all versions of Mac OS X up to Snow Leopard, but for what I want to do in this case it seemed simpler to go with Linux.

Asking if it's too slow is all based on the person using it. Any computer is only as capable as the skills, habits and knowledge base of the person using it.

Certainly. I have a Quadra with a Digi-Design card that I really like the sound of, still use it once in a while. :) Of course Y2K wasn't kind to it :(

Thanks for your comments!