PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu server 12.10 Hyper-V networking issue

jon27
November 19th, 2012, 01:00 PM
Hi all,

I am by no means a linux "expert" so please be gentle with me.

I am having issues with networking in hyper-v after moving the vhd to another host and recreating the Virtual Machine. In fact, this has happened on 2 separate instances. It worked on the original host and i have others running successfully.

All appears to be ok except i cannot ping another ip or remotely ping / connect to it.

eth0 is configured as a static address.

lshw -C network produces

*-network
description : ethernet interface
physical id : 1
logical name : eth0
serial L 00:15:5d:00:0d:06
capabilities : ethernet physical
configuration : broadcast=yes driver=hv_netsvc driverversion=3.1 firmware=N/A ip=192.168.0.61 link=yes multicast=yes

lsmod produces

hv_netsvc 22702 0
hv_vmbus 34460 4

I dont see anything in any logs that would indicate any problems.

I am really stuck and would appreciate any help or pointers anyone can offer me. I don't want to have to reinstall the o/s each time i need to move a virtual machine.

Thanks

JJ:confused:

jon27
November 19th, 2012, 01:17 PM
It would appear that the issue is actually the host machine as i've just tried doing the same to another host and it seems to work fine.

Appologies in advance.

Jayton
February 21st, 2013, 12:02 PM
Are you sure it was just that?

I've recently had problems with upgrading Ubuntu from 11.10 to 12.04, in a Hyper-V guest for a 3rd party system of a customer. The Ubuntu server would respond to pings for about 10 seconds on boot up, then stop responding.

After checking /var/log/kern.log and a bit of Googling it appears this is caused by the IRQBALACNCE service on some versions of Ubuntu & Fedora when being upgraded on a Hyper-V guest, possibly other variants too.

Disable it by changing Enabled="1" to a 0 in /etc/default/irqbalance and reboot. This resolved our issue with networking problems after the upgrade.