PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Linsux?

jfloydb
November 19th, 2012, 06:18 AM
Does anyone know what happened to Linsux / OMGCheesecake?

nothingspecial
November 19th, 2012, 11:16 AM
Looks like it's broke.

Some of the regulars there are involved in the fuduntu project. You could try asking on their forums or irc channel.

KiwiNZ
November 19th, 2012, 08:42 PM
They would appear to have suffered a serious failure, I feel for the owners/administrators.

schauerlich
November 19th, 2012, 09:23 PM
There was a security breach on the VPS hosting for forums. Some Adobe Reader exploit. ViperChief shut down the site until things could be sorted, and it was decided to wipe the site and restore from a recent (uncompromised) backup. He had been dissatisfied with his current VPS plan, so it was decided to also migrate the site at the same time. Currently, members are hanging out on IRC and on a lifeboat temp forum hosted by one of the members.

And the OS the VPS was running when this security breach happened? Ubuntu.

KiwiNZ
November 19th, 2012, 09:41 PM
There was a security breach on the VPS hosting for forums. Some Adobe Reader exploit. ViperChief shut down the site until things could be sorted, and it was decided to wipe the site and restore from a recent (uncompromised) backup. He had been dissatisfied with his current VPS plan, so it was decided to also migrate the site at the same time. Currently, members are hanging out on IRC and on a lifeboat temp forum hosted by one of the members.

ouch, I feel for VC, what I would like to do to ummm individuals that breach security cannot be posted here.

I hope all is good soon, good luck.

cariboo
November 19th, 2012, 11:16 PM
@schauerlich, I know you can't help being a troll, but not matter what OS a site is running, it can be cracked. It seems to me the same thing happened several years ago while the forum was running a different OS.

Security is up to the system administrators, it is not something that can be setup once and left alone, security patches have to be kept up to date, or the inevitable will happen.

KiwiNZ
November 19th, 2012, 11:18 PM
I think we can close this now.

nothingspecial
November 19th, 2012, 11:19 PM

Somebody was doing it wrong.