PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade minidlna package

Shutterstrom
November 18th, 2012, 06:24 PM
Hi, I've really tried to brows the web for help but I can't find any info that is helping me to complete my task.

What I would like to do is to upgrade minidlna on my ubuntu server 12.04 LTS. The current version installed is 1.0.21, and it came when I typed
sudo apt-get install minidlna.

But this is an old version of minidlna and the latest one is 1.0.25.

Question #1
Why does not Ubuntu upgrade to 1.0.25 version

Question #2
Is there a way for me to upgrade minidlna with
sudo apt-get update and
sudo apt-get upgrade If so, how can i make Ubuntu understand that tere is an update for minidlna?

Question #3
I also tried to install a .patch file for minidlna, but I don't know where the files are that I want to patch. Are these files that I want to patch on my server even though I used
sudo apt-get install minidlna

I guess you can tell that I'm quite new to Linux so please keep it as easy to understand as possible with good code examples and tips.

Thanks in advance!

raja.genupula
November 18th, 2012, 06:40 PM
Hi
Providing an upgrade to a specific software is not a big deal , though its not such easy thing . Anything you'd like to install can be fine if you satisfied all required dependencies with the specific versions requirements.

you can have your desired version for sure . get the version source package from its source site and you can install it manually .

But for manually installed packages/applications Ubuntu not going to provide any updates . so you are at your own risk .

Hope that helps.

Shutterstrom
November 18th, 2012, 09:28 PM
Hi
Providing an upgrade to a specific software is not a big deal , though its not such easy thing . Anything you'd like to install can be fine if you satisfied all required dependencies with the specific versions requirements.

you can have your desired version for sure . get the version source package from its source site and you can install it manually .

But for manually installed packages/applications Ubuntu not going to provide any updates . so you are at your own risk .

Hope that helps.

Hi Raja and thanks for the reply.

What I'm looking for is a way for Ubuntu tu understand that there is an update for minidlna by using the apg-get commando. Is there a way to do that? (refering to my question #2)

If I download the minidlna_1.0.25_src.tar.gz from sourceforge.net, this means that I will install it manually and will not be able to upgrade minidlna via apt-get in the future?

If it's possible to upgrade minidlna via apt-get commando, how can I do that then?

raja.genupula
November 21st, 2012, 11:44 AM
yes thats what i mean . If you have install it manually then in future you can't update with apt-get .

wait for some more time , I am sure Ubuntu will provide it with next updates . There might be some serious bugs associated with the latest version .

wait for some more time .

else in the launchpad page of that pkg you can see whose maintaining it and you can contact the maintainer about the update .

Hope that helps .

zvacet
November 22nd, 2012, 11:33 AM
Yuo can add this (https://launchpad.net/~flexiondotorg/+archive/server-stuff) PPA.Version is 1.0.24.

TiloBunt
January 22nd, 2013, 08:54 AM
please check this bug
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/minidlna/+bug/1026550

also I just update via PPA from previous post (https://launchpad.net/~flexiondotorg/+archive/server-stuff)

looks fine (1.0.24)
make sure you backup you config file

funny enough Ubuntu 12.10 comes with 1.0.24 as already.

cheers