PDA

View Full Version : Linux Programs that run in Windows

carl13
July 3rd, 2006, 10:57 PM
There seem to be more and more Linux programs (or open source programs) that are also available in Windows. PAN, Songbird, MPlayer, and VLC are a few that I know of.

What are some others?

thechitowncubs
July 3rd, 2006, 11:04 PM
gaim

linuksamiko
July 3rd, 2006, 11:09 PM
Are you talking about programs that have been ported from linux to windows or programs that are programed (from the beginning) for muliple platforms?

Programs which have been ported:
Gaim, Gaimphone, Gimp, appache
I've heard from an windows-port of these Programs:
evolution, banshee

Programs that have peen programed from the beginning for windows & linux (and maybe even mac):
OpenOffice, Firefox, Thunderbird, Sunbird, Songbird (you mantioned it allready but I wanted to make clear that this was made for windows too), openwengo, nexuiz

This list could go on and go on. There are too many apps to name them all. But these are apps the just came to my mind.

atoponce
July 3rd, 2006, 11:12 PM
There seem to be more and more Linux programs (or open source programs) that are also available in Windows. PAN, Songbird, MPlayer, and VLC are a few that I know of.

What are some others?
Is there something specific that you are looking for?

DR_K13
July 3rd, 2006, 11:20 PM
I got internet exploder working in Linux

deanlinkous
July 3rd, 2006, 11:56 PM
tons of them... the list goes on and on from staroffice/openoffice, abiword, gnumeric,pixel, heck even the GNU utils are availbale...

I sometimes think we shouldnt do this. That we should keep our open source programs specifically for our open source OS!

Kimm
July 3rd, 2006, 11:59 PM
I sometimes think we shouldnt do this. That we should keep our open source programs specifically for our open source OS!

I agree. That way we can offer something "exclusive" but thats just silly thinking.
If people use Open Source software for both Windows and Linux, they will undoubetly have an easier time when they deside to make the move to Linux ;P

23meg
July 4th, 2006, 12:15 AM
Which open source OS? There are hundreds of them, to none of which any piece of multiplatform open source software belongs. And reserving particular software for a particular OS / platform would be against the very point of open source software, most of which is multiplatform and a good majority of which is very easy to port to other operating systems. It's not possible to dictate this anyway; as long as the source is open and the license is non-restrictive, someone will always come along and do the port if they so desire.

AndyCooll
July 4th, 2006, 12:17 AM
I got internet exploder working in Linux

Got to ask ...bound to be others thinking the same ...how (if not Wine)?

AndyCooll
July 4th, 2006, 12:22 AM
I agree. That way we can offer something "exclusive" but thats just silly thinking.
If people use Open Source software for both Windows and Linux, they will undoubetly have an easier time when they deside to make the move to Linux ;P

It was open-source apps on Windoze (Firefox, Thunderbird and OpenOffice.org) that pointed me in the direction of Linux. I tried them, liked them and then went in search of other open-source software ...and hence came across Linux.

:cool:

jason.b.c
July 4th, 2006, 12:25 AM
Andycool, Where'd you get your avatar..?? That's preaty cool..:D

blastus
July 4th, 2006, 12:58 AM
It was open-source apps on Windoze (Firefox, Thunderbird and OpenOffice.org) that pointed me in the direction of Linux. I tried them, liked them and then went in search of other open-source software ...and hence came across Linux.

Me too. For me it was Firefox first, then Thunderbird, then OpenOffice.org, then Linux. Firefox, Thunderbird, and OpenOffice.org greatly facilitated my migration to Linux. I highly recommend these programs to anyone who is planning on or wants to eventually migrate to Linux.

DR_K13
July 4th, 2006, 01:11 AM
Got to ask ...bound to be others thinking the same ...how (if not Wine)?

http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/index-en.html

Dr. C
July 4th, 2006, 03:32 AM
For me it was popfile. I needed at the time a bayesian anti - spam filter that would work with Outlook 98 on Windows 98, then it was Firefox, Thunderbird, OpenOffice, Nvu etc.

At work I get asked on many occasions for help in converting Microsoft Works files to Microsoft Word format. I will help the person do this and then I introduce whoever created the works file to OpenOffice.org.

carl13
July 4th, 2006, 04:16 AM
Are you talking about programs that have been ported from linux to windows or programs that are programed (from the beginning) for muliple platforms?

either

carl13
July 4th, 2006, 04:19 AM
Is there something specific that you are looking for?

Nothing specific but I still boot to windows some and was interested to learn what all is out there in terms of alternatives.

Actually, I would like to find an open source program similar to Amorak or Listen to use while running windows. Songbird looks promising but I would like to try others if they are available.

vayu
July 4th, 2006, 09:40 AM

My first was Firefox. Then I installed Windows versions of PHP and MySQL. Those two programs plus a conversation with someone at a party finally motivated me to try Linux. Funny thing to me now is that he recommended Gentoo or Ubuntu. I'm glad I chose Ubuntu to start with. I am attracted to Gentoo, but I just don't have the time.

RAV TUX
July 4th, 2006, 11:31 AM
For a great list of Open Source for Windows, refer to the The OSSwin project:

http://osswin.sourceforge.net/

carl13
July 4th, 2006, 02:55 PM

http://osswin.sourceforge.net/

nice, thanks!

atoponce
July 5th, 2006, 06:22 AM

http://osswin.sourceforge.net/ There is also http://softwarefor.org. Software for starving students. Not entirely sure if all software on that site is OSS, but it is all free (as in beer) and very good.

deanlinkous
July 7th, 2006, 06:41 AM
Which open source OS?
ANY open source OS... :-?

I just dont want to give anyone a reason to stay on windows. Hey why switch to linux when I can run openoffice, firefox, abiword, gnumeric, etc... on windows. Glad to hear all the switchers...

I like the exclusive angle! Hey want this cool software then you have to be on linux.

Yes, I know it isn't nice and you'll certainly make a good point about a easier transition...

I said I sometimes think it, not that it should happen or technically could happen. Sometimes wonder about it....