PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Adobe + Norton?

tacgroup
November 17th, 2012, 08:36 AM
I have used Windows since the NT version however the most recent changes. I like to buy an OS and use it until the next one. I occasionally upgrade parts for productivity and if im going to be forced to buy a new os every time, no thanks!

My concerns about using Ubuntu are below:

Security
- I use Malwarebytes & Norton, Kaspersky or one of the other leading providers. I order a new version every black friday online so it changes. Would I be able to install these software programs on Ubuntu?

Design / Development
- I use Adobe CS6 and I will not switch. Will Adobe CS6 work on Ubuntu?

Browsers
- Firefox, Opera, Safari, Chrome and IE are required for the work I do. Will this work with Ubuntu?

Thanks!

Abhinav Kumar
November 17th, 2012, 08:45 AM
I have used Windows since the NT version however the most recent changes. I like to buy an OS and use it until the next one. I occasionally upgrade parts for productivity and if im going to be forced to buy a new os every time, no thanks!

Security
- I use Malwarebytes & Norton, Kaspersky or one of the other leading providers. I order a new version every black friday online so it changes. Would I be able to install these software programs on Ubuntu?

Design / Development

Browsers
- Firefox, Opera, Safari, Chrome and IE are required for the work I do. Will this work with Ubuntu?

Thanks!
Hi tacgroup,

Security- No antivirus needed as most of the viruses are made for Windows. Thus, you save quite a bit of your resources.

Design- Photoshop as far as I know is not supported for Linux platforms. However, I donot know whether that works via Wine. You can use GIMP which is an open source alternative to Photoshop.

Browsers- Firefox,Opera and Chrome are available for Ubuntu. However, IE can be run via Wine.

Regards,
Abhinav

whatthefunk
November 17th, 2012, 08:51 AM
If you need to use an Adobe product, Ubuntu may not be for you. You could try running it in Wine, but I doubt youll get 100% functionality.

As Abhinav Kumar pointed out, security isnt much of an issue and Firefox, Opera and Chrome run fine in Linux. IE can be run in Wine. You might be able to run the WIndows version of Safari in Wine, but I dont know how well it would work.

Honestly, you might be better off sticking with Windows.

tacgroup
November 17th, 2012, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the honesty, it will help me save lots of time.

Abhinav Kumar
November 17th, 2012, 10:05 AM
Please mark the thread as solved

Y^2om&#7sgP
November 17th, 2012, 10:10 AM
As an addition to the previous answer.

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=25607

Wine claim that CS6 does work with a bit of playing around

Androzani1
November 17th, 2012, 10:42 AM

Security

Design / Development

Browsers

Thanks!

Avast is available for Linux, but as others have said you don't really need it.