PDA

View Full Version : Netflix On Ubuntu

Pages : [1] 2

dniMretsaM
November 16th, 2012, 03:26 AM
It appears that I Heart Ubuntu's campaign to get Netflix running on Ubuntu has paid off (http://www.iheartubuntu.com/2012/11/netflix-on-ubuntu-is-here.html). The setup doesn't look easy, but it might be worth it. I'm trying it out now to see how it works.

How to install:
You can install the Netflix app quite easily with these commands:

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ehoover/compholio
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install netflix-desktopEXT2/3 Filesystems:
Open up fstab in you favorite editor. If you use Gedit, you can run this:

gksudo gedit /etc/fstabNow you need to add ,user_xattr to the fourth column the root filesystem line. It should look similar to this:

UUID=94f7fc1e-fa27-4b24-99f3-4b461665a4a4 / ext4 errors=remount-ro,user_xattr 0 1Then just remount your root filesystem:

sudo mount -o remount /

Sound Issues:
If you're having sound issues with WINE on a 64-bit machine, some users have found this helpful:

sudo apt-get install libasound2-plugins:i386

d98jh
November 16th, 2012, 01:11 PM
Any luck? I'm on 64bit so I tried building in chroot but it doesn't seem to work. Firefox installs but when I open the Netflix site it doesn't seem to find the Silverlight plugin...

Lars Noodén
November 16th, 2012, 01:19 PM
It's not really on Ubuntu, it's on Windows but available via WINE. What has happened is that there is now a version of WINE which can handle the weirdness in the Netflix Windows client.

Netflix is available for Android/Linux (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.netflix.mediaclient) so it would not be that hard to finish porting it to GNU/Linux so we can have it on Ubuntu.

forrestcupp
November 16th, 2012, 02:11 PM
This is awesome. I have 64-bit, so I'll be waiting on the PPA. Hopefully these changes to get this working don't create any regressions in Wine.

It's not really on Ubuntu, it's on Windows but available via WINE. What has happened is that there is now a version of WINE which can handle the weirdness in the Netflix Windows client.

Running Windows apps in Wine is not the same as it being on Windows. You don't have to use a VM for this, so I'd say that it's legitimately running in Ubuntu, because Wine is not an emulator. :)

Lars Noodén
November 16th, 2012, 02:20 PM
It may run under WINE but it is still a Windows version using the Windows APIs and all that. They have it in them, technically, to make a native Linux version. They already have for Android. Porting it to regular Linux should be a small step.

Anyway, even it if is a small step forward of sorts, it is a step forward.

kansasnoob
November 16th, 2012, 02:55 PM
It may run under WINE but it is still a Windows version using the Windows APIs and all that. They have it in them, technically, to make a native Linux version. They already have for Android. Porting it to regular Linux should be a small step.

Anyway, even it if is a small step forward of sorts, it is a step forward.

My son bought a new chromebook (small for my taste) and tells me that Netflix works OK on it. So I'd think it should be possible.

evilsoup
November 16th, 2012, 03:13 PM
Whoa.
Yes.

I'll probably wait for the PPA mentioned in the article, but this looks really cool! Does anyone know if it would be possible to install this version of wine alongside my current version, by compiling it differently?

This should work for other silverlight-DRM sites like Lovefilm, right? This issue is the only thing that stops me from recommending Ubuntu to people... obviously an official, supported solution would be best, but this is such great news.

The chromebook version uses a hardware chip for DRM, IIRC, so that's not really portable to Ubuntu.

moocow1452
November 16th, 2012, 05:20 PM
Netflix is available for Android/Linux (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.netflix.mediaclient) so it would not be that hard to finish porting it to GNU/Linux so we can have it on Ubuntu.

Um, then why haven't we seen anyone crack the app open and play it on a Linux install yet? I'd imagine there is some processor hoodoo involved, since ARM doesn't translate well to x86, and the DRM thing seems to be baked into the app over hardware.

EDIT: Netflix does have it in them to program a native Linux version, but the call is from up top, citing no Silverlight support to hold their hand for them. Which is silly, since the Android and Chrome OS versions work fine without Silverlight, but prodding them on the issue seems to not work in our benefit. http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/09/netflix-no-change-in-our-plans-for-linux

dniMretsaM
November 16th, 2012, 05:42 PM
Well, I ended up not compiling since I'm on a 64-bit system. I don't use Netflix much anyway, so I didn't figure the trouble would be worth it. Has anyone else given it a try yet? I would love to hear how it works.

Even though this isn't a native Netflix client, it's still an awesome step in the right direction.

HansKisaragi
November 16th, 2012, 06:01 PM
While native Netflix would be awesome I dont see it happening..

I got Netflix on 4 devices so im happy.

jerome1232
November 16th, 2012, 06:09 PM
The only way for Netflix to come to Ubuntu natively is for Netflix to drop silverlight. They use a bit of DRM in silverlight that Microsoft refuses to license out to Desktop Linuxes or to allow to run in moonlight, although it has licensed it out to mobile phones running android, and blu-rays running linux kernels, and to streaming devices running linux kernels, and to OSX.

Chrome OS uses a hardware chip that handles the DRM, that's the only way Microsoft was going to license it.

The MS DRM is called PlayReady

sdowney717
November 16th, 2012, 06:37 PM
Netflix and MS Windows is in tight relationship.
They share board members I recall.
MS Windows hates free Linux so I don't expect anything good regarding same. they do get Chrome OS and Android but then that is not free as you have to buy the Chrome book or Android device.

evilsoup
November 16th, 2012, 06:45 PM
I really don't think there's any need for conspiracy theories here; the UK company Lovefilm has a very similar streaming service that also relies on Silverlight. It's probably just that Microsoft have the best (for this purpose) DRM system, and see no compelling case to port it to Linux. No need to assume malice, really.

I can't wait for the PPA to come out...

HansKisaragi
November 16th, 2012, 06:48 PM
I wish they would develop a new solution for streaming but that aint happening

jerome1232
November 16th, 2012, 06:51 PM
No conspiracy theory, Microsoft publicly stated the reason they won't license PlayReady to Linux on a Desktop is because they fear hackers will crack their DRM, which is ridiculous.

Silverlight runs via Moonlight in Linux, what doesn't is the PlayReady drm. All I'm stating is this is more Microsofts fault that it won't run on Linux than it is Netflix's fault. Honestly I'd rather watch it on one of my blu-rays or on my Wii and don't much care if it works on Linux or not, I do wish it worked on my Netbook while in Ubuntu however.

kansasnoob
November 16th, 2012, 07:32 PM
Well I'm definitely going to try this Wine hack because I'd love to be able to watch Netflix vids on my HTPC rather than using Roku to stream to my crappy TV :shock:

I'm stuck in a no-mans-land where it's expensive to get decent TV or Internet so I can't afford both :(

And the EMI/RMI is horrible here due to industrial level grain production so wireless more than sucks!

I'd love to catch up on Deadwood, Supernatural, and The Walking Dead w/o having to install Windows so this is a potentially huge breakthrough!

I'm nursing some sick dogs ATM but I'll try this very soon :guitar:

snowpine
November 16th, 2012, 07:43 PM
I'd love to catch up on Deadwood, Supernatural, and The Walking Dead w/o having to install Windows so this is a potentially huge breakthrough!

Netflix doesn't stream HBO shows like Deadwood. Walking Dead they have the first 2 seasons. Supernatural I've never seen--is it good?

sdowney717
November 16th, 2012, 07:45 PM
Just tried this following the compile and all and it cant find the silverlight plugin = fail.
Just read the comment section as many say the same thing
Firefox works ok.

BrokenKingpin
November 16th, 2012, 07:55 PM
That looks like to much work. I stick to watching netflix on my PS3 and Boxee box.

kansasnoob
November 16th, 2012, 08:02 PM
Netflix doesn't stream HBO shows like Deadwood. Walking Dead they have the first 2 seasons. Supernatural I've never seen--is it good?

I thought I saw Deadwood in the list of DVD's available if I chose to get a DVD at a time :confused:

I saw the first season of the Walking Dead and I loved it, but then I had to cut the cord/cable :(

I started watching Supernatural on Hulu about one year ago, I can also watch it on "the CW" but that's very fiddly ... the ads suck.

Supernatural is kind of a quirky/corny show. A combo of sci-fi/horror with a taste of humor. But I'd love to see it from season 1 -->

I've seroiusly been thinking about doing the DVD only thing with Netflix so I can enjoy in hi-def. It makes no sense to spend hundreds of dollars to buy a hi-def TV that can't get reception w/o a major investment.

BTW:

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Deadwood/70157459?locale=en-US

snowpine
November 16th, 2012, 08:04 PM
I thought I saw Deadwood in the list of DVD's available if I chose to get a DVD at a time :confused:

I saw the first season of the Walking Dead and I loved it, but then I had to cut the cord/cable :(

I started watching Supernatural on Hulu about one year ago, I can also watch it on "the CW" but that's very fiddly ... the ads suck.

Supernatural is kind of a quirky/corny show. A combo of sci-fi/horror with a taste of humor. But I'd love to see it from season 1 -->

I've seroiusly been thinking about doing the DVD only thing with Netflix so I can enjoy in hi-def. It makes no sense to spend hundreds of dollars to buy a hi-def TV that can't get reception w/o a major investment.

BTW:

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Deadwood/70157459?locale=en-US

Yes, you can get Deadwood etc. on DVD.... and that has always worked just fine on Linux... we are only discussing their streaming service here (which hasn't work on Linux until now).

mamamia88
November 16th, 2012, 08:20 PM
No conspiracy theory, Microsoft publicly stated the reason they won't license PlayReady to Linux on a Desktop is because they fear hackers will crack their DRM, which is ridiculous.

Silverlight runs via Moonlight in Linux, what doesn't is the PlayReady drm. All I'm stating is this is more Microsofts fault that it won't run on Linux than it is Netflix's fault. Honestly I'd rather watch it on one of my blu-rays or on my Wii and don't much care if it works on Linux or not, I do wish it worked on my Netbook while in Ubuntu however.

lol that's funny. hackers will crack their drm one way or another so i don't see why they even bother. the whole point of paying for netflix in the first place for me anyway is that i have a cheap way to watch a lot of content without piracy.

kansasnoob
November 16th, 2012, 08:35 PM
Yes, you can get Deadwood etc. on DVD.... and that has always worked just fine on Linux... we are only discussing their streaming service here (which hasn't work on Linux until now).

I'm fully aware of that :)

But in post #17 you said, "Netflix doesn't stream HBO shows like Deadwood".

I honestly didn't know that there was a difference between what could be streamed or what I could get in the mail-box :)

Maybe I should just do the DVD by mail routine :confused:

snowpine
November 16th, 2012, 08:41 PM
I'm fully aware of that :)

But in post #17 you said, "Netflix doesn't stream HBO shows like Deadwood".

I honestly didn't know that there was a difference between what could be streamed or what I could get in the mail-box :)

Only a very small % of Netflix content is available for streaming. Frankly I don't understand why people make such a big deal over Netflix streaming. It's great if you want to watch reruns of Lost, but there are other Linux-friendly services that already let you do that.

jerome1232
November 16th, 2012, 08:42 PM

There's a lot you can stream that you can't get on DVD as well. As much as I love my netflix, sometimes it makes me do this. ](*,)

Honestly 98% of our netflix is my son using the netflix for kids on our wii, they have a lot of pbs kids shows so it's great for him.

moocow1452
November 16th, 2012, 08:56 PM
Only a very small % of Netflix content is available for streaming. Frankly I don't understand why people make such a big deal over Netflix streaming. It's great if you want to watch reruns of Lost, but there are other Linux-friendly services that already let you do that.

Mostly it's that Netflix is the single holdout in not playing well with non-flash webservices, it's the Coke in the streaming world to everything elses RC Cola, and it means something to play all the movies. Plus, they licensed a new season of Arrested Development for 2013, and have an unparalleled TV collection to binge, even considering Hulu Plus and Amazon Prime. (And by unparalleled, I mean Futurama.)

neu5eeCh
November 16th, 2012, 08:59 PM
Hey, pretty cool. I wonder if MS will pull any dirty tricks to stop it? - if it's even possible...

evilsoup
November 17th, 2012, 12:30 AM
This trick doesn't support the latest Silverlight; all they'd have to do to break it would be to make the version wine can run incompatible with their DRM & force all the Windows users to upgrade.

mamamia88
November 17th, 2012, 01:07 AM
This trick doesn't support the latest Silverlight; all they'd have to do to break it would be to make the version wine can run incompatible with their DRM & force all the Windows users to upgrade.

and why would they bother with that?

neu5eeCh
November 17th, 2012, 01:20 AM

Apple does it all the time. Apple would do it every day if they had to. So why wouldn't Microsoft?

neu5eeCh
November 17th, 2012, 01:25 AM
By the way, should I uninstall Crossover before I try installing this patched version of Wine? Any thoughts?

forrestcupp
November 17th, 2012, 02:06 AM
Just tried this following the compile and all and it cant find the silverlight plugin = fail.
Just read the comment section as many say the same thing
Firefox works ok.

Firefox has always worked with Wine without any hacks. Double fail. ;)

mamamia88
November 17th, 2012, 02:27 AM
Apple does it all the time. Apple would do it every day if they had to. So why wouldn't Microsoft?

well first off netflix would have to switch the version of silverlight that works with it as well as ******* off all the people who don't know anything about computers when netflix stops working for no apparent reason. how much control does microsoft have over netflix anyway? they are still independent companies right?

Lightstar
November 17th, 2012, 07:31 AM
Netflix works perfectly on android, which is linux.
I wonder if I could just load up android x86 in virtualbox or a dev version, with a netflix app... and use it that way

evilsoup
November 17th, 2012, 01:30 PM

I don't think they will, not any faster than old versions would naturally become obsolete anyway. All I'm saying is that they could do it, if they wanted to.

Netflix works perfectly on android, which is linux.
I wonder if I could just load up android x86 in virtualbox or a dev version, with a netflix app... and use it that way

It's been tried, it doesn't work.

dniMretsaM
November 17th, 2012, 05:07 PM
Added a small update to the first post.

lovinglinux
November 17th, 2012, 09:39 PM
I have found the PPA and it was updated 26 minutes ago with the netflix-desktop packages but they are still building.

https://launchpad.net/~ehoover/+archive/compholio/+packages

lovinglinux
November 17th, 2012, 09:49 PM
I have found the PPA and it was updated 26 minutes ago with the netflix-desktop packages but they are still building.

https://launchpad.net/~ehoover/+archive/compholio/+packages

The 32bit packages were built. The necessary packages are netflix-desktop and wine-compholio. I haven't tested yet.

sdowney717
November 17th, 2012, 10:22 PM
how do you add this ppa to the system?

moocow1452
November 17th, 2012, 10:27 PM
how do you add this ppa to the system?

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:compholio

At least, once it's fully baked. Right now it's throwing up a 404, which I am guessing means, "I'm not quite ready yet."

mamamia88
November 17th, 2012, 10:45 PM
so how long until these patches get integrated into main branch wine?

lovinglinux
November 17th, 2012, 11:25 PM

At least, once it's fully baked. Right now it's throwing up a 404, which I am guessing means, "I'm not quite ready yet."

Download the deb packages manually and install them.

lovinglinux
November 17th, 2012, 11:33 PM
I have downloaded the packages from the ppa and installed without issues.It adds a Netflix icon to the application list, which launches a fullscreen Netflix window. Pretty cool. However, it doesn't recognize the silverlight plugin. It asks for me to download it, which I did, but then it still doesn't recognize it.

I am running a 64bit system and I suspect that is the issue. I have installed the 64bit netflix-desktop package, but the wine-compholio is 32bit only, as is the vanilla wine.

Anyone running it on a 32bit system?

moocow1452
November 17th, 2012, 11:48 PM
32bit system, same thing that happened yesterday. Asks for a Silverlight install, and doesn't recognise the one already there. I did manually patch wine and try that route, so maybe it has it's lines crossed. Also using Peppermint 3, and while it's using the precise archives, it may not play nice with something or other.

sdowney717
November 17th, 2012, 11:55 PM
Why does it work for some and not others. Must be some difference and I hope someone can find out. It does not work for me, asks to install silverlight.

You can go to a test site for silverlight to see if it works, for me it does not work.
http://bubblemark.com/silverlight2.html

I could see in future if Netflix requires silverlight v5 then v4 will never work.

moocow1452
November 18th, 2012, 12:08 AM
Me neither. I'm thinking it's an issue with the cobbled together WINE, since vanilla at least recognizes Silverlight, at least when I last tried it.

evilsoup
November 18th, 2012, 12:57 AM

Actually, it's

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ehoover/compholio

But I can't get netflix-desktop to install...

evilsoup@enchantment:~$ sudo apt-get install netflix-desktop
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies.
wine-compholio : Recommends: wine-gecko1.8 but it is not installable
Recommends: wine-mono0.0.8 but it is not installable
Conflicts: wine1.4 but 1.4-0ubuntu4.1 is to be installed
wine1.4 : Depends: wine1.4-i386 (= 1.4-0ubuntu4.1) but it is not going to be installed
E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.
evilsoup@enchantment:~$

moocow1452
November 18th, 2012, 01:12 AM
Try downloading wine-compholio first or manually downloading the wine and netflix-debs, seems to mesh with adding the ppa.

evilsoup
November 18th, 2012, 01:27 AM
I ended up using

sudo apt-get install wine-compholio+
which removed all my previous wine stuff, and then sudo apt-get install netflix-desktop worked... but it can't seem to detect the silverlight plugin...

weasel fierce
November 18th, 2012, 02:37 AM
Installed the packages from the PPA, you still have to download firefox and silverlight it seems (navigate to the "program files" folder and do
wget -O Firefox-14.0.1.exe http://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-14.0.1-funnelcake13&os=win&lang=en-US; wine Firefox-14.0.1.exe /S

wget -O Silverlight-4.exe http://silverlight.dlservice.microsoft.com/download/6/A/1/6A13C54D-3F35-4082-977A-27F30ECE0F34/10329.00/runtime/Silverlight.exe; wine Silverlight-4.exe /q

as per the website instructions.
I couldn't get the icon launcher to work, but if I run the firefox exe, and then go to Netflix, it works!
Watching right now :)

Holy smokes.. Netflix hack and Steam for linux, what's next?

dniMretsaM
November 18th, 2012, 02:43 AM
It appears that the latest 64-bit builds of netflix-desktop failed. Guess I won't be trying it for a while.

weasel fierce
November 18th, 2012, 02:44 AM
I should add, I am on 32 bit.

Doesn't 64 bit Ubuntu support running 32 bit stuff anyways? Might be worth a shot, or is that not so easy?

dniMretsaM
November 18th, 2012, 04:57 AM
Well, I'm downloading the latest build (0.1.0) on my 64-bit Quantal machine. I'll test it out and report back.

EDIT: Everything installs just fine, but I get error 1001 (which is a Silverlight-related issue). I'm going to see if I can get any information from the developer. Will post if I find out anything.

BluPhenix316
November 18th, 2012, 06:27 AM
Well, I'm downloading the latest build (0.1.0) on my 64-bit Quantal machine. I'll test it out and report back.

EDIT: Everything installs just fine, but I get error 1001 (which is a Silverlight-related issue). I'm going to see if I can get any information from the developer. Will post if I find out anything.

I know how to fix the 1001 error. You need to install mscorefonts.

dniMretsaM
November 18th, 2012, 07:54 AM
I know how to fix the 1001 error. You need to install mscorefonts.

Yep, just found that out. Installed it a few minutes ago and it works fine. For those who don't know how, run this command:

sudo apt-get install ttf-mscorefonts-installer

Anyway, some new packages are building as I write this. The netflix-desktop package will automatically pull in ttf-mscorefonts-installer as a dependency, and wine-compholio won't require the removal of vanilla WINE.

Also, there are apparently some issues with the EXT3 filesystem. Not exactly sure what they are or how to fix them, but I know that Erich is working on instructions regarding those problems.

sdowney717
November 18th, 2012, 12:55 PM
Works for me now:)

I opened synaptic and did a total removal of all wine related stuff

Then add repository

Then did update
sudo apt-get update

Then did wine install

Then did netflix desktop install
sudo apt-get install netflix-desktop

I also did winecfg
winecfg

Then find netflix desktop and click on icon, it will do some configuring

interesting to see netflix
this shows the progress, silverlight installs

scott@scott-P5QC:~$ sudo apt-get install netflix-desktop
Building dependency tree
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
libcogl8 libbabl-0.0-0 libgegl-0.0-0 kwrite p7zip kde-baseapps
libtelepathy-farstream1 apport-hooks-medibuntu plasma-widget-folderview
libllvm3.0
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
The following NEW packages will be installed:
netflix-desktop
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 6,094 kB of archives.
After this operation, 15.2 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://ppa.launchpad.net/ehoover/compholio/ubuntu/ precise/main netflix-desktop i386 0.1.0~precise8 [6,094 kB]
Fetched 6,094 kB in 7s (790 kB/s)
Selecting previously unselected package netflix-desktop.
(Reading database ... 657708 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking netflix-desktop (from .../netflix-desktop_0.1.0~precise8_i386.deb) ...
Processing triggers for update-notifier-common ...
netflix-desktop: downloading http://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-14.0.1-funnelcake13&os=win&lang=en-US
netflix-desktop: downloading http://silverlight.dlservice.microsoft.com/download/6/A/1/6A13C54D-3F35-4082-977A-27F30ECE0F34/10329.00/runtime/Silverlight.exe
netflix-desktop: downloading http://developer.netflix.com/files/Netflix_API2_57x57.png

Silverlight is provided by Microsoft in unmodified form only,
you may not redistribute the software.

Everything downloaded and installed.
Processing triggers for menu ...
Processing triggers for bamfdaemon ...
Rebuilding /usr/share/applications/bamf.index...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ...
Processing triggers for gnome-menus ...
Setting up netflix-desktop (0.1.0~precise8) ...

first pic shows purge existing wine to start fresh
second pic shows netflix running displaying Poirot

Netflix desktop opens in a full screen browser view, how to escape I hit function keys and was able to get a window.

evilsoup
November 18th, 2012, 01:03 PM
I must have done something wrong, since it's not working for me... probably to do with installing it too early, before the PPA was properly ready. I guess I'll ppa-purge, and try again.

sdowney717
November 18th, 2012, 01:03 PM
My video card is likely not powerful enough as I notice that in the time I took to post the prior message with netflix paused, going back to netflix, the window had hung on the video. Hit space bar and the audio started and took a minute for the video to catch up and play.
Running an Nvidia geforce 8400gs with Nvidia drivers
I am on 12.04 ubuntu

lovinglinux
November 18th, 2012, 01:12 PM

Then add repository

Then did update
sudo apt-get update

Then did wine install

I also did winecfg
winecfg

interesting to see netflix
this shows the progress, silverlight installs

Building dependency tree
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
libcogl8 libbabl-0.0-0 libgegl-0.0-0 kwrite p7zip kde-baseapps
libtelepathy-farstream1 apport-hooks-medibuntu plasma-widget-folderview
libllvm3.0
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
netflix-desktop
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 6,094 kB of archives.
After this operation, 15.2 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://ppa.launchpad.net/ehoover/compholio/ubuntu/ precise/main netflix-desktop i386 0.1.0~precise8 [6,094 kB]
Fetched 6,094 kB in 7s (790 kB/s)
Selecting previously unselected package netflix-desktop.
(Reading database ... 657708 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking netflix-desktop (from .../netflix-desktop_0.1.0~precise8_i386.deb) ...
Processing triggers for update-notifier-common ...
netflix-desktop: downloading http://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-14.0.1-funnelcake13&os=win&lang=en-US
netflix-desktop: downloading http://silverlight.dlservice.microsoft.com/download/6/A/1/6A13C54D-3F35-4082-977A-27F30ECE0F34/10329.00/runtime/Silverlight.exe
netflix-desktop: downloading http://developer.netflix.com/files/Netflix_API2_57x57.png

Silverlight is provided by Microsoft in unmodified form only,
you may not redistribute the software.

Everything downloaded and installed.
Processing triggers for bamfdaemon ...
Rebuilding /usr/share/applications/bamf.index...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ...
Processing triggers for gnome-menus ...
Setting up netflix-desktop (0.1.0~precise8) ...

first pic shows purge existing wine to start fresh
second pic shows netflix running displaying Poirot

Netflix desktop opens in a full screen browser view, how to escape I hit function keys and was able to get a window.

I tried the same method, but it complained about winecfg not being installed and suggested installing wine1.4, which I didn't do. Instead I tried to launch Netflix Desktop and it prompted me to install Mono which I did. After completing Mono download it started and....

IT WORKS!!!!!!! WOOOHOOO!

Thanks a lot for the solution.

lovinglinux
November 18th, 2012, 01:37 PM
After launching Netflix Dekstop, I hit F11 to leave fullscreen mode, then I can use Netflix fullscreen button.

sdowney717
November 18th, 2012, 02:08 PM
After launching Netflix Dekstop, I hit F11 to leave fullscreen mode, then I can use Netflix fullscreen button.

None of the function buttons work anymore.
Earlier I was even showing the Firefox file menu with one of the function keys.
I full screen using the silverlight full screen button, but still shows a gnome title bar at the top.

So how to make it take over the entire screen as before?
I am using the gnome3 desktop.

sdowney717
November 18th, 2012, 02:47 PM
Solved it
Too many chrome tabs open, perhaps 25 and a slow video card. Closed chrome and F11 toggles full screen ok.
But also found out cant do that if a video is running, so do the F11 key in the movie selection page.

F10 will show the menus.
If you click help then about, you can do an update to firefox.
It will run and update Firefox. Fiefox will update to ver 16
I did that and it is still fine.

So I am now using ver 16 funnelcake with netflix

You can also open a new tab, but it acts oddly

I dont see a way to opne an address bar to type a http web place.

dniMretsaM
November 18th, 2012, 03:03 PM
I dont see a way to opne an address bar to type a http web place.

You're not supposed to. The Netflix-desktop package is just supposed to be a standalone app. You can, however, use Firefox itself (the one installed in WINE) to browse around.

sdowney717
November 18th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Get this.
After I uodate to ver16 firefox, I can now got to wine directory and click the firefox Icon
It did a wine cdonfig update then
It loads firefox with an address bar
then I can goto Netflix
login
watch movie with the address bar!
Run this without the netflix desktop firefox.

sdowney717
November 18th, 2012, 04:26 PM
Wonder if Chrome for windows would work with this
Never been able to install Chrome under wine.

evilsoup
November 18th, 2012, 04:56 PM
OK, it's working now... but the video's a little too jumpy for me, lol. But then, netbook etc.

Alt+D lets you go to other websites within the netflix app, if you want to... Lovefilm.com instant streaming wasn't working for me at all, though :(

sdowney717
November 18th, 2012, 05:02 PM
My video is smooth enough to watch. I can tell the video card lacks the power to feel effortless.

You can update to firefox v16 from firefox, just hit F10, click help about and upgrade it. Everything is still working including the version I have in the wine directory which shows adresses and tabs.

Silverlight 5 did some big improvements using hardware acceleration on the video. Wonder if that version could ever work with this.

weasel fierce
November 18th, 2012, 05:49 PM
Get this.
After I uodate to ver16 firefox, I can now got to wine directory and click the firefox Icon
It did a wine cdonfig update then
It loads firefox with an address bar
then I can goto Netflix
login
watch movie with the address bar!
Run this without the netflix desktop firefox.

Yeah, the desktop app doesn't work for me (it complains it can't find Firefox, so it's probably something fixable) but launching firefox in wine totally works :)

neu5eeCh
November 18th, 2012, 06:04 PM

Then add repository

Then did update
sudo apt-get update etc.....

I tried the same method. Installed Mono and nothing happens. Nothing works. Hmmm... I also got complaints about Gecko (?) and being unable to create a certain Firefox directory. I guess I'll purge and try to re-install?

lovinglinux
November 18th, 2012, 06:12 PM
I tried the same method. Installed Mono and nothing happens. Nothing works. Hmmm... I also got complaints about Gecko (?) and being unable to create a certain Firefox directory. I guess I'll purge and try to re-install?

A purge is a good idea.

weasel fierce
November 18th, 2012, 06:36 PM
Agreed, can't hurt to purge everything wine related in the package manager.

dniMretsaM
November 18th, 2012, 06:42 PM
Agreed, can't hurt to purge everything wine related in the package manager.

The latest builds shouldn't require you to remove vanilla WINE. Anyway, I added installation instructions to the first post, including what to do if you use EXT2/3.

weasel fierce
November 18th, 2012, 06:43 PM
Gotcha. It's updating very rapidly. I installed last night, and already had an update this morning.

Has anyone gotten the desktop app working btw?

dniMretsaM
November 18th, 2012, 06:48 PM
Gotcha. It's updating very rapidly. I installed last night, and already had an update this morning.

Has anyone gotten the desktop app working btw?

The desktop app works just fine for me. I'm currently using netflix-desktop 0.1.0~quantal8 and wine-compholio 1.5.17~quantal11. This is a 64-bit machine. Last nights builds worked just fine for me as well.

neu5eeCh
November 18th, 2012, 06:52 PM
The install is complaining about a Gecko package needed for "applications embedding HTML". Do I install or cancel?

dniMretsaM
November 18th, 2012, 06:53 PM
The install is complaining about a Gecko package needed for embedded HTML applications. Do I install it or cancel?

Yeah, go for it. That's a WINE thing in general, not specific to the Netflix app.

neu5eeCh
November 18th, 2012, 06:56 PM
Yeah, go for it. That's a WINE thing in general, not specific to the Netflix app.

OK. Am installing. Now I get the following whine from wine:

Error creating directory:

%SystemDrive%\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\distribution

Click Cancel to stop the installation or Retry to try again.Do I need to install Wine 1.4. What does the following mean:

"Then did netflix desktop install

I also did winecfg
winecfg"

What does "I also did" mean? I notice that the next respondent did *not* install Wine 1.4, but the whole thing still worked for him?

Edit: OK. I canceled. Retry isn't working and isn't going to. Now I'm installing Wine 1.4. Argh! Why the flip am I the only one who can't do this? :evil:

sdowney717
November 18th, 2012, 07:10 PM
Perhaps a permission problem regarding ownership with creating a directory
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1732304

When doing this earlier, I failed to mention I had after purging the entire wine programs via synaptic, deleted my hidden .wine folder in my home directory.
Which I dont know makes a difference.

here is what I currently list as installed for wine listed out when doing a search for 'wine'
libkwineffects is I dont think a wine related program

dniMretsaM
November 18th, 2012, 07:10 PM
OK. Am installing. Now I get the following whine from wine:
Do I need to install Wine 1.4. What does the following mean:

"Then did netflix desktop install

I also did winecfg
winecfg"

What does "I also did" mean? I notice that the next respondent did *not* install Wine 1.4, but the whole thing still worked for him?

OK. I canceled. Retry isn't working and isn't going to. Now I'm installing Wine 1.4. Argh! Why the &^%$ am I the only one who can't do this? :-?

I don't have any other versions of WINE installed. Just wine-compholio. Non of the other versions will work since you need some patches. You might also want to make sure you're using the latest versions of the packages. And are you using EXT2/3? As for the "I also did," I think he just means he ran the command winecfg.

sdowney717
November 18th, 2012, 07:25 PM
"I also did," I think he just means he ran the command winecfg
yes exactly true, whether needed or not.

I noticed when first clicking on the Netflix desktop icon, it ran a configuaration program which took a little while to complete.

neu5eeCh
November 18th, 2012, 07:27 PM
@ dniMretsaM "As for the "I also did," I think he just means he ran the command winecfg."

Yes, but you can't run it without Wine 1.4 installed.

@ sdowney717 "Perhaps a permission problem regarding ownership with creating a directory..."

Possibly. Do I need to run Netflix-Desktop from the command line then, as Sudo? Never mind. Didn't work.

dniMretsaM
November 18th, 2012, 07:37 PM
Yes, but you can't run it without Wine 1.4 installed.

Then don't do it. It's not necessary (I didn't do it). Wine will do that itself the first time it runs, but it might take a while.

So what errors are you getting when you try to run the app?

sdowney717
November 18th, 2012, 07:40 PM
Do I need to run Netflix-Desktop from the command line then, as Sudo
No, I just clicked on it. It ran a config program which took longer than I would have thought and then it was there, full screen netflix home page.

neu5eeCh
November 18th, 2012, 07:42 PM
Then don't do it. It's not necessary (I didn't do it). Wine will do that itself the first time it runs, but it might take a while.

So what errors are you getting when you try to run the app?

This:

wine: cannot find 'C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe'
So... what this tells me is that Firefox couldn't be installed because Wine 1.4 wasn't installed?!?

So, I've installed wine 1.4, purged both wine-comphio and netflix-desktop (including deleting the hidden folder in my home folder) and am re-installing both with wine 1.4 present. We'll see if I'm right...

weasel fierce
November 18th, 2012, 07:49 PM
This:

So... what this tells me is that Firefox couldn't be installed because Wine 1.4 wasn't installed?!?

So, I've installed wine 1.4, purged both wine-comphio and netflix-desktop (including deleting the hidden folder in my home folder) and am re-installing both with wine 1.4 present. We'll see if I'm right...

Running the desktop app from console, that's what I got as well.

If you run the firefox.exe with wine, it should work fine. (using the wine from the ppa, not regular wine)

neu5eeCh
November 18th, 2012, 08:00 PM
Running the desktop app from console, that's what I got as well.

If you run the firefox.exe with wine, it should work fine. (using the wine from the ppa, not regular wine)

Yeah. OK.

I got it to work by installing Wine 1.4 (winecfg) and then installing comphio and Netflix-Desktop.

I officially blame y'all.

On the other hand, in the interest of full-disclosure, I am using Xubuntu and was attempting to run Netflix-Desktop from Synapse. Until I installed Wine 1.4 [sudo apt-get install wine1.4], the Netflix-Desktop install didn't have a directory structure into which it could install Firefox, hence the error message that it couldn't create the Firefox directory.

In the meantime, it's flippin' cool to see Netflix on my Linux install! :guitar:

dniMretsaM
November 18th, 2012, 08:02 PM
This:

The Netflix app doesn't need WINE 1.4 (I don't have it and it works fine for me). Actually, it won't work with any other WINE than wine-compholio because of some patches that are necessary. A purge and a reinstall can't hurt, though.

Anyway, glad you got it working. Not entirely sure what the issue was, but whatever works.

neu5eeCh
November 18th, 2012, 08:05 PM
The Netflix app doesn't need WINE 1.4

My installation begs to differ.

(I don't have it and it works fine for me). Actually, it won't work with any other WINE than wine-compholio because of some patches that are necessary. A purge and a reinstall can't hurt, though.

Yeah... well... tell that to my fully functional battlest... I mean... netflix-desktop on wine 1.4.

Beardedturtle
November 18th, 2012, 08:19 PM
Whoa.
Yes.

I'll probably wait for the PPA mentioned in the article, but this looks really cool! Does anyone know if it would be possible to install this version of wine alongside my current version, by compiling it differently?

This should work for other silverlight-DRM sites like Lovefilm, right? This issue is the only thing that stops me from recommending Ubuntu to people... obviously an official, supported solution would be best, but this is such great news.

The chromebook version uses a hardware chip for DRM, IIRC, so that's not really portable to Ubuntu.

PPA
http://www.iheartubuntu.com/2012/11/ppa-for-netflix-desktop-app.html

lovinglinux
November 18th, 2012, 08:32 PM
The desktop app works just fine for me. I'm currently using netflix-desktop 0.1.0~quantal8 and wine-compholio 1.5.17~quantal11. This is a 64-bit machine. Last nights builds worked just fine for me as well.

I think he means the Firefox launcher saved inside the Desktop folder. It doesn't work for me. Only the Netflix Desktop launcher I access by searching gnome-shell/dash. I tried to copy the launcher and add it to the dock, but it doesn't work either.

sdowney717
November 18th, 2012, 08:55 PM
I am using gnome3 and can run firefox from this wine folder and play netflix. I actually prefer this over the netflix app.

lousy picture taken with my camera since I dont know how to screen capture that image.

Beardedturtle
November 18th, 2012, 09:28 PM
I am using gnome3 and can run firefox from this wine folder and play netflix. I actually prefer this over the netflix app.

lousy picture taken with my camera since I dont know how to screen capture that image.

Hit the print screen button on the keyboard.

spook1980
November 18th, 2012, 09:30 PM
he's running gnome shell, print screen won't do the trick, what he should do is search for screanshot from the dash, and do it that way.

weasel fierce
November 18th, 2012, 09:42 PM
Yeah. OK.

I got it to work by installing Wine 1.4 (winecfg) and then installing comphio and Netflix-Desktop.

I officially blame y'all.

On the other hand, in the interest of full-disclosure, I am using Xubuntu and was attempting to run Netflix-Desktop from Synapse. Until I installed Wine 1.4 [sudo apt-get install wine1.4], the Netflix-Desktop install didn't have a directory structure into which it could install Firefox, hence the error message that it couldn't create the Firefox directory.

In the meantime, it's flippin' cool to see Netflix on my Linux install! :guitar:

Strange but hey, if it works, it works :D
It IS quite a cool feeling, isn't it?

as an aside, Vermont is awesome.

sdowney717
November 18th, 2012, 09:47 PM
I tried screenshot. What happens is it loads a browser window.
I have used screenshot a lot.
It just wont take a pic of the gnome menu.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-utils/+bug/29894
you can do a screenshot delay

neu5eeCh
November 18th, 2012, 10:04 PM
Strange but hey, if it works, it works :D
It IS quite a cool feeling, isn't it?

as an aside, Vermont is awesome.

It might have had something to do with trying to run it through Synapse, but I'm not sure why it should matter.

And, yeah, I love Vermont. The only other place I could imagine living is maybe northern CA.

So... now that they've cracked this nut, what about Silverlight 5? How long are we going to be able to use Netflix with Silverlight 4, and does it matter? This is a flippin' amazing accomplishment in my view. I wonder if they're going to try to crack 5?

sdowney717
November 18th, 2012, 10:08 PM
It might have had something to do with trying to run it through Synapse, but I'm not sure why it should matter.

And, yeah, I love Vermont. The only other place I could imagine living is maybe northern CA.

So... now that they've cracked this nut, what about Silverlight 5? How long are we going to be able to use Netflix with Silverlight 4, and does it matter? This is a flippin' amazing accomplishment in my view. I wonder if they're going to try to crack 5?

That would be very good as it brings video hardware acceleration.
So lower quality video cards will be very smooth

Beardedturtle
November 18th, 2012, 10:09 PM
After following all steps Netflix will refuse to load and firefox refuses to install from wine it will say access is denied

sdowney717
November 18th, 2012, 10:25 PM
I found if you right click the screen, silverlight presents a menu which includes an automatic upgrade.
If I checked it, I wonder if silverlight would upgrade itself and then break ability to play netflix?

here is a video site that requires I think silverlight5.
If you go there ad attempt an upgrade, you eventually will be suggested to install monkeylight v4

http://rtl.nl/xl/#/u/749dc8fa-9976-4239-b392-75b849dc84c7

sdowney717
November 18th, 2012, 10:31 PM
After following all steps Netflix will refuse to load and firefox refuses to install from wine it will say access is denied

What exactly did you do?

I did these steps
I also deleted .wine hidden folder in my home directory after purging wine. Another poster said he needed wine v1.4 to do a winecfg which I did not need.

Then add repository

Then did update
sudo apt-get update

Then did wine install

I also did winecfg
winecfg

after this it worked. I was able to logon

Beardedturtle
November 18th, 2012, 10:42 PM
wget -O Firefox-14.0.1.exe http://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-14.0.1-funnelcake13&os=win&lang=en-US; wine Firefox-14.0.1.exe /S

I get a corrupt file warning with this command.

GrubThemeArtist
November 18th, 2012, 10:48 PM

There's a PPA now.

sdowney717
November 18th, 2012, 10:53 PM

Post number 100 shows how I did this.
Worked for me

neu5eeCh
November 18th, 2012, 10:56 PM
Just installed Netflix Desktop on my 64-bit system. Same problem. Had to install Wine 1.4 before it would work. Unless I installed Wine, the Netflix Desktop config had no place to install Firefox.

sdowney717
November 18th, 2012, 10:58 PM
Just installed Netflix Desktop on my 64-bit system. Same problem. Had to install Wine 1.4 before it would work. Unless I installed Wine, the Netflix Desktop config had no place to install Firefox.

64 bit issue ?
I am running 32 bit.
I had completely purged all wine and it installed ok.

sdowney717
November 18th, 2012, 11:07 PM
A bug exists which will be fixed if your using ext3 filesystem

Anne Fairchild Guillaume Voisine • 2 hours ago

You need to edit the /usr/bin/netflix-desktop file. Line 32 is checking the wrong variable. It should be ${MTABXATTR} NOT ${MTABEXT} It's a bug.

Share ›

Erich Hoover Anne Fairchild • an hour ago

Thank you for pointing that out, I'll upload a fix shortly.

Share ›

jerome1232
November 18th, 2012, 11:15 PM
It's working on my netbook with no modifications but it's too choppy to be of any use :(

Checking it's system specs I just realized I accidentally installed 64 bit 12.10 instead of 32 bit 12.04 on it. haha, I'll have to fix that. Seems to be cpu bound, it does work nativly on windows, I'm guessing there's some wine slowdown.

lovinglinux
November 18th, 2012, 11:59 PM
64 bit issue ?
I am running 32 bit.

I am running a 64bit and did not installed Wine 1.4 and it works. I also purged before installing the ppa, just like you did.

dniMretsaM
November 19th, 2012, 12:08 AM
64 bit issue ?
I am running 32 bit.

I installed it on my 64-bit machine with no issues. I'm wondering if you have to install a version of WINE once or it won't work (even if vanilla WINE isn't installed when running Netflix). I think I'll send Erich an email about it when I get home.

jerome1232
November 19th, 2012, 12:10 AM
I installed it on my 64-bit machine with no issues. I'm wondering if you have to install a version of WINE once or it won't work (even if vanilla WINE isn't installed when running Netflix). I think I'll send Erich an email about it when I get home.

My netbook was a fresh, unused install of 12.10 64 bit, hot off the usb stick. All I did was add the ppa, install wine-compoholio+, netflix-desktop, then started it up and it worked. It's literally the first thing I did after doing the updates on a fresh install.

lovinglinux
November 19th, 2012, 12:19 AM
My experience so far:

Installation from PPA was smooth, after purging vanila Wine and Crossover. It complained about Wine 1.4 when I tried to run winecfg, but I didn't install it. However I did install Mono as requested. Worked out of the box!!!

Performance is great, with no stuttering. Video quality is good. I had the impression I was getting lower quality, but tested an HD movie and it was okay.

Temperature while watching an HD movie is 60-65º Celsius, which is lower than running Netflix on a VM with XP.

I am running Ubuntu 12.10 64bit with Gnome-Shell instead of Unity. My Notebook is an Asus A43E with an i5 CPU, 6GB of RAM and Intel HD 3000 graphics.

weasel fierce
November 19th, 2012, 12:19 AM

I had wine installed previously, and removed it before doing this, so there might be something to it.

neu5eeCh
November 19th, 2012, 12:35 AM
On both my machines installation failed because there were no Window directories into which to install Firefox. Simple as that. I had to install Wine 1.4 in order to create the Windows directory structure.

weasel fierce
November 19th, 2012, 12:36 AM
So that helps confirm it then. Interestingly purging wine might actually make more trouble, since it'd remove those structures, wouldn't it?

sdowney717
November 19th, 2012, 12:40 AM
So that helps confirm it then. Interestingly purging wine might actually make more trouble, since it'd remove those structures, wouldn't it?

considering several people did purge and then installed ok then how could that come into play here?
I also removed my .wine home directory.
I was also able to run winecfg after the wine purge and new wine install.

weasel fierce
November 19th, 2012, 12:44 AM
If in doubt, I blame Gnomes :)

neu5eeCh
November 19th, 2012, 12:44 AM
I was also able to run winecfg after the wine purge and new wine install.

OK, then you didn't uninstall wine. (?) According to apt-get, you couldn't have run winecfg without wine 1.4. Winecfg (again, according to apt-get) depends on wine 1.4. I'm wondering if some of you folks actually did what you think you did when you "purged" wine? Something doesn't add up.

Edit: Oh, scratch that. As you say, you re-installed wine. So how is what you did any different that what I did?

jerome1232
November 19th, 2012, 12:50 AM
On the 12.10 netbook, that was a fresh install. It can't run winecfg, but everything works. (aside from it being slow on netflix)

I have never installed wine on that netbook (aside from the wine-compholio+ package)

lovinglinux
November 19th, 2012, 02:37 AM
I did some additional tests.

- purged netflix and wine

- installed Wine 1.4, Crossover and Playonlinux

- Installed Firefox 16 and Silverlight on Wine 1.4, Crossover and Playonlinux

- Installed wine-compholio+ and netflix-desktop

- Only netflix-desktop works as expected with Netflix. Wine 1.4, Crossover and Playonlinux still work independently, but freeze when viewing Netflix.

Updated Firefox 14 to 16 from netflix-desktop and it stopped working. Removed, deleted the config folder and reinstalled netflix-desktop to make it work again.

sdowney717
November 19th, 2012, 02:38 AM
OK, then you didn't uninstall wine. (?) According to apt-get, you couldn't have run winecfg without wine 1.4. Winecfg (again, according to apt-get) depends on wine 1.4. I'm wondering if some of you folks actually did what you think you did when you "purged" wine? Something doesn't add up.

Edit: Oh, scratch that. As you say, you re-installed wine. So how is what you did any different that what I did?

The way I purged was using synaptic.
I searched for 'wine'
then right clicked the wine files and selected remove entirely with configuration

Of course afterwards, I installed the new patched wine from that repository for netflix.
Afterwards I ran winecfg and it ran.

sdowney717
November 19th, 2012, 02:41 AM

- Only netflix-desktop works as expected with Netflix. Wine 1.4, Crossover and Playonlinux still work independently, but freeze when viewing Netflix.

Updated Firefox 14 to 16 from netflix-desktop and it stopped working. Removed, deleted the config folder and reinstalled netflix-desktop to make it work again.

I updated firefox to v16 from the Netflix app by hitting F10
to load menu. Then click help - about firefox

The small about window had an upgrade firefox button.
I clicked it upgraded to firefox v16
One of my screenshots I posted here shows it running netflix on v16

neu5eeCh
November 19th, 2012, 02:46 AM

Would be interested to see what would happen if you uninstalled Wine 1.4 without uninstalling wine-compholio+ and netflix-desktop, whether netflix desktop would still work?

neu5eeCh
November 19th, 2012, 02:51 AM
Of course afterwards, I installed the new patched wine from that repository for netflix.
Afterwards I ran winecfg and it ran.

What exactly did you install when you "installed the new patched wine"? sudo apt-get what? -- or what did you choose from synaptic?

sdowney717
November 19th, 2012, 03:04 AM
post number 56 listed what I did
page number 6

here is my synaptic showing only wine 1.5

sdowney717
November 19th, 2012, 03:09 AM
Ok, currently logged into tricia another user
ran winecfg and it runs
I had not done this yet.

tricia@scott-P5QC:~$ winecfg
wine: created the configuration directory '/home/tricia/.wine'
fixme:storage:create_storagefile Storage share mode not implemented.
err:mscoree:LoadLibraryShim error reading registry key for installroot
fixme:storage:create_storagefile Storage share mode not implemented.
fixme:iphlpapi:NotifyAddrChange (Handle 0x110e8d0, overlapped 0x110e8dc): stub
wine: configuration in '/home/tricia/.wine' has been updated.
tricia@scott-P5QC:~$

How would I get the netflix app to show up for this user?
Oh, It is now there!

neu5eeCh
November 19th, 2012, 03:09 AM
post number 56 listed what I did
page number 6

here is my synaptic showing only wine 1.5

Yeah. OK.

That's what I did too, but somehow that wasn't enough to create a directory for Firefox. So... no answer there...

axe.gs1
November 19th, 2012, 03:11 AM
Will this PPA be backported? I'm still running 10.04, and ran into the failure with Silverlight when working on this.

hoping...

neu5eeCh
November 19th, 2012, 03:14 AM
Will this PPA be backported? I'm still running 10.04, and ran into the failure with Silverlight when working on this.

hoping...

I doubt it. Time to move on, don't ya' think? There are some excellent alternatives if you don't like Unity.

evilsoup
November 19th, 2012, 03:23 AM
Yeah. OK.

sudo apt-get install wine-compholio+ That's what I did too, but somehow that wasn't enough to create a directory for Firefox. So... no answer there...

I would just like to say that I used that command because there was a conflict with regular wine, and putting a '+' at the end of a package name in apt-get forces that package to be favoured in the event of a conflict. And from what I've been reading, that problem should be fixed & there shouldn't be a conflict - so netflix-desktop should pull in wine-compholio as a dependency. No need to add it in a separate step.

The netflix-desktop program creates the directory structure at ~/.netflix-desktop either when it's installed or first run, rather than at ~/.wine, if that helps...

sdowney717
November 19th, 2012, 03:26 AM
ok here is the update to ver16.
you must take firefox off fullscreen hit F11
double click top bar to get window smaller
then hit F10 to display the menu
click help- about

firefox lists an update
click it
firefox downloads and restarts

here is before and after showing running with version14 then 16 after the update thru firefox itself

sdowney717
November 19th, 2012, 03:31 AM
I doubt it. Time to move on, don't ya' think? There are some excellent alternatives if you don't like Unity.

Install cinnamon works fine with netflix app
http://askubuntu.com/questions/94201/how-do-i-install-the-cinnamon-desktop

Werewolf6851
November 19th, 2012, 03:34 AM
I followed the instructions at

aka

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install netflix-desktop

it seemed to work, but when I when to play a movie I get an error

<quote>
Player Error
Error Code: 1001

We could not load the movie player. Please visit our help page for more details.
</quote>
==the help page was as follows==
<quote>
Silverlight Player Error

When you run into a problem loading the Netflix movie player:

If you are a Mac user, this may be caused by missing system fonts on your computer. If you use a font management system such as Suitcase, you might try the following steps | to address this problem:

Check that at least one of these fonts is present in your HD/Library/Fonts folder:
Arial (standard, bold, italic or bold italic)
Verdana (standard, bold, italic or bold italic)
If none of these fonts are present in the folder you'll need to install one:
Locate one of these fonts elsewhere on your system, for example in the ~/Library/Fonts or /System/Library/Fonts folders
Copy or move at least one of these fonts into your HD/Library/Fonts folder
Attempt to play a movie again

If you don't use font management software or these steps don't solve the problem, please call us at 866-579-7113 and we'll help you solve the problem.
</quote>

I tried copying fonts from the windows partition but no avail

Wolf
Xubuntu 12.04 64 bit

sdowney717
November 19th, 2012, 03:36 AM

aka

<quote>
Player Error

We could not load the movie player. Please visit our help page for more details.
</quote>
<quote>
Silverlight Player Error

If you are a Mac user, this may be caused by missing system fonts on your computer. If you use a font management system such as Suitcase, you might try the following steps | to address this problem:

Check that at least one of these fonts is present in your HD/Library/Fonts folder:
Locate one of these fonts elsewhere on your system, for example in the ~/Library/Fonts or /System/Library/Fonts folders

If you don't use font management software or these steps don't solve the problem, please call us at 866-579-7113 and we'll help you solve the problem.
</quote>

Wolf
Xubuntu 12.04 64 bit

As test, curious if you could try post 56 procedure on page 6 and see if it is any better,
also remove .wine and .netflix desktop hidden folder in your home directory before you reinstall

there may also be an issue with ext3 filesystems

GrubThemeArtist
November 19th, 2012, 05:32 AM
Huh, I don't get why people are having to purge Wine.

I had Wine and Crossover installed, then I built Wine from git, and tried getting Netflix to work that way (which it didn't), then I just tried out the PPA and everything works fine.

spook1980
November 19th, 2012, 05:27 PM

aka

<quote>
Player Error

</quote>
<quote>
Silverlight Player Error

</quote>

Wolf
Xubuntu 12.04 64 bit

As test, curious if you could try post 56 procedure on page 6 and see if it is any better,
also remove .wine and .netflix desktop hidden folder in your home directory before you reinstall

there may also be an issue with ext3 filesystems

I'm having the same issue 1001 error not using ext3 my file system is ext4 running ubuntu 12.04, i really don't want to have to do a reinstall either. msfonts are installed i dont know what the issue is

spook1980
November 19th, 2012, 05:47 PM
I'm having the same issue 1001 error not using ext3 my file system is ext4 running ubuntu 12.04, i really don't want to have to do a reinstall either. msfonts are installed i dont know what the issue is

got it this does the trick for all those with msfonts installed getting a 1001 error,

sudo apt-get install --reinstall ttf-mscorefonts-installer

monkeybrain2012
November 19th, 2012, 08:50 PM
Nice if they can get it working. I don't care for netflix myself but if this works I can put Ubuntu on a few people's computers now that the last hurdle is overcome. :)

BTW, does it only work on Ubuntu? I would think it should work on other distros too as long as you can compile wine.

lovinglinux
November 19th, 2012, 09:12 PM
I updated firefox to v16 from the Netflix app by hitting F10
to load menu. Then click help - about firefox

The small about window had an upgrade firefox button.
I clicked it upgraded to firefox v16
One of my screenshots I posted here shows it running netflix on v16

I did the same thing and it broke Netflix Desktop.

lovinglinux
November 19th, 2012, 09:13 PM
Would be interested to see what would happen if you uninstalled Wine 1.4 without uninstalling wine-compholio+ and netflix-desktop, whether netflix desktop would still work?

It works without wine 1.4.

neu5eeCh
November 19th, 2012, 10:02 PM
It works without wine 1.4.

okay.

testing....

purging wine1.4....

aaaaaaaaaaaaand... yes sir'ee! It works without wine1.4. :)

Don't know why I needed it to install, but there you have it. The mystery continues...

spook1980
November 20th, 2012, 02:33 AM
Netflix on ubuntu runs like a dream, time to delete the windows partition

dniMretsaM
November 20th, 2012, 02:53 AM
I did a few test installations (all on fresh Ubuntu installs). The first time, I got the error that VTPoet got. Installing vanilla WINE didn't help. I fixed the problem by purging netflix-desktop, removing ~/.netflix-deskotp/, and reinstalling. The next two installs went without issue. I told Erich about this and he's looking into it.

Beardedturtle
November 20th, 2012, 04:22 AM
It works but there is no sound. NOTHING AT ALL.

Werewolf6851
November 20th, 2012, 04:56 AM
Works on Xubuntu 12.04 64 bit.

Removed all wine installations, deleted both hidden directories .wine and .netflix-desktop before retrying.
Added ",user_xattr" to the fourth column of the root "/" line in fstab

Then ran sudo apt-get install ttf-mscorefonts-installer

Video is bit choppy but I assuming that from just using on-motherboard video card.
Wolf

theOGRE
November 20th, 2012, 05:57 AM
This is great! I'm so happy I can finally watch netflix without kicking a kid off one of the game systems. I was having these problems as well. Tried purge and reinstalling wine and such. What seemed to finally work was when I removed ~/.netflix-desktop, as dniMretsaM mentioned.

neu5eeCh
November 20th, 2012, 02:23 PM
It works but there is no sound. NOTHING AT ALL.

Yeah... just tried installing Netflix on a friend's laptop. No sound. Nothing. Didn't have time to experiment.

Edit: I have the black thumb of linux. If there's an issue, I will have it.

Beardedturtle
November 20th, 2012, 10:49 PM
Yeah... just tried installing Netflix on a friend's laptop. No sound. Nothing. Didn't have time to experiment.

Edit: I have the black thumb of linux. If there's an issue, I will have it.
Must be a WINE thing cause my games dont have sound must be a sound driver issue.

sdowney717
November 20th, 2012, 11:38 PM
An update was pushed out and afterwards I am having trouble with netflix desktop.

trying to escape full screen I lose all mouse control, mouse is invisible and I can not stop back up or interact with the app or the computer. What I have been doing is logging out and log back in.
Moving the mouse will make the silverlight interactive on screen menus appear but no mouse.

I used to be able to hit F11 to toggle fullscreen.

back to running netflix in the firefox v16 full browser mode as the app is giving me issues.

Beardedturtle
November 20th, 2012, 11:39 PM
I tried but cannot get audio out of wine no matter what settings I choose....uninstalling is not a option that would require redownloading steam and 3 games 10Gb total...as well as reinstalling netflix which was a 3 day nightmare.

sdowney717
November 20th, 2012, 11:46 PM
I tried but cannot get audio out of wine no matter what settings I choose....uninstalling is not a option that would require redownloading steam and 3 games 10Gb total...as well as reinstalling netflix which was a 3 day nightmare.

what does your winecfg look like, mine set to XP mode and can you play those test sounds?

Beardedturtle
November 20th, 2012, 11:52 PM
what does your winecfg look like, mine set to XP mode and can you play those test sounds?
Try it on XP and win 7 no go tried all the audio settings no go.

sdowney717
November 21st, 2012, 12:10 AM
Try it on XP and win 7 no go tried all the audio settings no go.

are you saying those test sounds in winecfg, you can not hear them?

how then can your games play sound?

Beardedturtle
November 21st, 2012, 12:28 AM
are you saying those test sounds in winecfg, you can not hear them?

how then can your games play sound?
That is the problem no sound in games or netflix. I came here from a failed bing and google searches for a fix. Torchlight 1 and 2 and Trine 2 play great but no sound.

BungaDunga
November 21st, 2012, 04:28 AM
I also don't get sound. I have sound in my normal Wine prefix, but not the Netflix one.

Specifically, when I open up winecfg and swap to the audio tab, I see:

ALSA lib conf.c:3314:(snd_config_hooks_call) Cannot open shared library libasound_module_conf_pulse.so
ALSA lib pcm.c:2217:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default
ALSA lib pcm_dsnoop.c:612:(snd_pcm_dsnoop_open) unable to open slave

It seems to be due to running a 32-bit Wine inside a 64-bit Ubuntu, see:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ia32-libs/+bug/408615
And in gentoo:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-916116-start-0.html

HOWEVER, there's an easy easy fix.

sudo apt-get install libasound2-plugins:i386

seemed to do the trick.

Beardedturtle
November 21st, 2012, 04:35 AM
I also don't get sound. I have sound in my normal Wine prefix, but not the Netflix one.

ALSA lib conf.c:3314:(snd_config_hooks_call) Cannot open shared library libasound_module_conf_pulse.so
And in gentoo:

sudo apt-get install libasound2-plugins:i386seemed to do the trick.

Mine has HDA in front of the options for sound output and input. No ALSA or Pulseaudio.

Beardedturtle
November 21st, 2012, 04:41 AM

And in gentoo:

sudo apt-get install libasound2-plugins:i386seemed to do the trick.
Tried your trick and now the audio is 4x faster then normal >_< (games and netflix)

sdowney717
November 21st, 2012, 03:16 PM
I got stuck in the netflix app today. Mouse is working in the app, except can not x out of the program or do the upper left corner with gnome3.
So I could not close the app.

When it was stuck like this I tried alt-F2, this exposed the basic firefox menu. Then under file select exit and it closed.

sdowney717
November 21st, 2012, 03:53 PM
Tried your trick and now the audio is 4x faster then normal >_< (games and netflix)

You can try this. Someone in the wine forums had issues with sound speed and this helped.
http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=31993

Erich Hoover 2012-11-07 17:26:47 CST
(In reply to comment #9)
> Update, I can play NetFlix on my 64bit Ubuntu after I created a 32bit PREFIX.
> ...

Could you please create a new bug for the 64-bit failure and put a dependency
on this bug?

(In reply to comment #16)
> ...
> The sound and video problems come back after one movie or TV episode. I can
> resolve if I move the slider bar multiple times back and forth to 'sync' or
> 'slow' the sound and video to normal speed. Not sure if the logs would show
> this behaviour.

I've not noticed this particular issue, but when I do (rarely) notice audio
issues with Wine I've noticed that they can be resolved by executing
"pulseaudio -k". You might give that a try.
Comment 18

dniMretsaM
November 21st, 2012, 05:21 PM
I got stuck in the netflix app today. Mouse is working in the app, except can not x out of the program or do the upper left corner with gnome3.
So I could not close the app.

When it was stuck like this I tried alt-F2, this exposed the basic firefox menu. Then under file select exit and it closed.

Use Alt+F4 to close it. AFAIK there is no way to use the close/minimize/maximize buttons.

sdowney717
November 21st, 2012, 06:38 PM
Use Alt+F4 to close it. AFAIK there is no way to use the close/minimize/maximize buttons.

I can see it needs to become more user friendly. Someone who does not know much about computers might use this app and when they cant exit will get ornery and pull the plug.

dniMretsaM
November 21st, 2012, 07:08 PM
I can see it needs to become more user friendly. Someone who does not know much about computers might use this app and when they cant exit will get ornery and pull the plug.

Send Erich an email about it. Personally, I have no problem with not having access to said buttons. I really don't think there are that many people who wont know how to close the window, but I suppose it couldn't hurt to have the buttons visible when you exit full screen.

sdowney717
November 21st, 2012, 08:29 PM
Send Erich an email about it. Personally, I have no problem with not having access to said buttons. I really don't think there are that many people who wont know how to close the window, but I suppose it couldn't hurt to have the buttons visible when you exit full screen.

found another way to configure the app, use alt+v and add the toolbars to get tabbed browsing, so far that works fine.
anyone doing the first tip?

Tip: since the Netflix Desktop web app comes with just a window titlebar (no menu, tabs, address bar, etc.), if you want to use this custom Wine build with other websites that require the Microsoft Silverlight plugin, launch Firefox for Windows (Wine) from the newly created desktop shortcut. Or, to launch it from Unity’s Dash, search for “Mozilla Firefox” (the native Firefox application for Linux should show up as “Mozilla Firefox Browser” so the names are not identical).

Alternatively, in the Netflix Desktop web app, you can use F11 (to exit full screen), then press ALT + V and from the View > Toolbarmenu, enable the Menu Bar and Navigation Toolbar.
http://www.reviewlinux.com/how-to-use-netflix-in-ubuntu-through-wine-ppa-available-9360.html

cybergalvez
November 21st, 2012, 09:41 PM
This works great! Thansk for all the hard work now I don't have to start windows to watch Netflix!

Beardedturtle
November 21st, 2012, 11:25 PM
You can try this. Someone in the wine forums had issues with sound speed and this helped.
http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=31993

Thanks the pulseaudio thing failed lol but restarting the computer worked..but seems to be real buggy hopefully someone out there would make it user friendly. (to the point where you don't need a degree in programming to fix stuff)

Beardedturtle
November 21st, 2012, 11:28 PM
found another way to configure the app, use alt+v and add the toolbars to get tabbed browsing, so far that works fine.
anyone doing the first tip?
F11 no longer works.

moocow1452
November 21st, 2012, 11:41 PM
Fresh Quantic install on a Dell Latitude D610, finally got Silverlight to work, audio works, video doesn't. Probably my GFX card is being a stinker, but World of Goo seems to work okay via Steam... :-k

Bandit
November 21st, 2012, 11:44 PM
I am curious what the performance difference is from using it on Windows -vs- Wine?

sdowney717
November 22nd, 2012, 12:40 AM
F11 no longer works.

yes, things seem to be changing.
I can no longer F11 then hit corner 'x' to close the firefox app.

I found you can alt + v then select various toolbars to make it function with tabs and addresses.
With alt + v, you can also load the menu items to close program hit file then exit.

Now for some odd reason unknown to me, I have firefox v16 installed in wine. I can run a full version of firefox with all menus and tabs etc... from the wine folder and everything works including netflix.
I dont know exactly how this happened to me. I did have firefox installed in wine before loading the PPA and doing the Netflix install.

sdowney717
November 22nd, 2012, 12:48 AM
I am curious what the performance difference is from using it on Windows -vs- Wine?

My thoughts:
I have a very powerful quad core with a modern Nvidia 1GB vid card running win7 and it is flawlessly good on Netflix. It is running silverlight version 5 which added in hardware video acceleration which silverlight ver 4 lacks.

When that win7 machine ran silverlight ver 4 I noticed a few video problems which made me eager to get ver5 working.

The slower core 2 duo linux machine with an older 8400gs nvidia card is actually better than what the powerful win7 machine was able to put out with silverlight ver4 and we are only using silverlight ver4 on linux wine.

If they can get this to work with hardware acceleration as in silverlight ver5 it will be flawless. I have a feeling that if I put that 1gb nvidia card in my ubuntu machine it would be flawlessly perfect.

sffvba[e0rt
November 22nd, 2012, 12:51 AM
Have Ubuntu? Check!
Have netflix that can work on Ubuntu? Check!
Live in a country you can use netflix? Eh?!

:cry:

BungaDunga
November 22nd, 2012, 12:58 AM

I'm running it on an old laptop (Dell d620... Intel GMA 950, yo) and it seems to work okay. I mean, it's a bit unstable, but when it's not crashing (which happens if I interact with a video too much) it seems to keep a good framerate. There's occasionally a quick audio stutter, but it's pretty tiny.

sdowney717
November 22nd, 2012, 01:10 AM
They are working on getting silverlight ver 5 to work

http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=31754

dniMretsaM
November 22nd, 2012, 03:06 AM
F11 no longer works.

F11 works fine for me. There is no close button when it's not in full screen, though. There never was for me.

sdowney717
November 22nd, 2012, 04:02 AM
F11 works fine for me. There is no close button when it's not in full screen, though. There never was for me.

so much variety of experience with this, I used to have all 3, min max x close

now all I have is x close and it does not close whe clicked which it used to do.

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=227375&d=1353291990

dniMretsaM
November 22nd, 2012, 04:16 AM
so much variety of experience with this, I used to have all 3, min max x close

now all I have is x close and it does not close whe clicked which it used to do.

I wonder if that has to do with the fact that you changed the Firefox version.

Bandit
November 22nd, 2012, 09:44 AM
Have Ubuntu? Check!
Have netflix that can work on Ubuntu? Check!
Live in a country you can use netflix? Eh?!

:cry:

LOL dont feel bad. I am moving to the Philippines in less then two months and no more Hulu or Netflix..

sdowney717
November 22nd, 2012, 01:16 PM
Did a test
Created a new user
set desktop to Cinnamon
login
run winecfg
download and install firefox 17
install and run windows firefox17, no netflix working

Then run netflix desktop
config program runs
loads the app netflix works version 14
min-max-close all working fine

Then hit F11, then F10
click help about and update firefox to ver 17
Firefox restarts all working with netflix

Now close netflix app

Click on earlier Windows firefox 17 full install
runs and works on netfilx with a full browser implementation

Nice to see it working.

lovinglinux
November 22nd, 2012, 01:51 PM
Netflix on ubuntu runs like a dream, time to delete the windows partition

Exactly what I did 2 days ago. :)

lovinglinux
November 22nd, 2012, 01:56 PM

Performance is great for me. Better than using a VM. However I haven't tested on a dual boot and I deleted the Windows partition 2 days ago.

sdowney717
November 22nd, 2012, 01:56 PM
I discovered that if you delete the .netflix-desktop directory, then when you rerun the Netflix Desktop icon, it registers any existing wine Firefox installs so they will then work with netflix.

I actually prefer having netflix running in a tabbed browser window.

spook1980
November 22nd, 2012, 04:19 PM
Exactly what I did 2 days ago. :)

i was only using windows for netflix,

snowpine
November 22nd, 2012, 05:33 PM
Does anyone know if this will work in Debian?

mamamia88
November 22nd, 2012, 05:53 PM
Does anyone know if this will work in Debian?

should work on any distro since wine works on any distro. compiling on arch right now from the AUR

sdowney717
November 22nd, 2012, 06:24 PM
should work on any distro since wine works on any distro. compiling on arch right now from the AUR

Aren't they already compiled as says here?
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=153234

mamamia88
November 22nd, 2012, 06:30 PM
Aren't they already compiled as says here?
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=153234
the maintainer has a repository but if the package is in the AUR it isn't precompiled. the pkgbuild is just instructions for downloading and compiling from source. i'm just installing with yaourt but i have to leave soon so hopefully it finishes before i leave. edit well it works but it's laggy and almost unusable. gives me hope for the future though

tjwilli
November 24th, 2012, 01:37 AM
This works great! Just saw the pilot for Star Trek. I grew up on Star Trek, but never saw that episode. I didn't realize that Capt. Kirk didn't come until later.
:popcorn:

sdowney717
November 24th, 2012, 02:28 PM
I did an update this am and a new wine-compholio was downloaded.
Update also put in wine 1.5, so I now have 2 versions of wine where I only had one before?

SO go to watch netflix and the video was running very fast with squeaky sound and jittery.

SO, do a complete reboot and it is back to working.

here is pic of installed wines. Can I just remove wine 1.5?

evilsoup
November 24th, 2012, 04:38 PM
It uses a customised version of wine 1.5 (that's what the wine-compholio package brings in) to run SIlverlight, so no, you need to keep it.

meldroc
November 25th, 2012, 12:29 AM
Has anyone figured out any tricks to improving the frame rate?

Currently running Kubuntu 12.10 (64-bit), with the nVidia proprietary drivers on a system w/ an AMD Phenom II x4 965 (3.4GHZ), an nVidia GTX 550Ti video card, 8GB of RAM.

Netflix video is a little choppy, which is annoying, especially if I'm watching an action flick, so I'm wondering if anyone figured out ways to improve performance.

meldroc
November 25th, 2012, 12:30 AM
I did an update this am and a new wine-compholio was downloaded.
Update also put in wine 1.5, so I now have 2 versions of wine where I only had one before?

SO go to watch netflix and the video was running very fast with squeaky sound and jittery.

SO, do a complete reboot and it is back to working.

here is pic of installed wines. Can I just remove wine 1.5?

The squeaky fast sound may have been a pulseaudio glitch. "pulseaudio -k" restarts the sound server and has been known to fix this.

BarfBag
November 25th, 2012, 04:30 AM
has anyone figured out any tricks to improving the frame rate?

Currently running kubuntu 12.10 (64-bit), with the nvidia proprietary drivers on a system w/ an amd phenom ii x4 965 (3.4ghz), an nvidia gtx 550ti video card, 8gb of ram.

Netflix video is a little choppy, which is annoying, especially if i'm watching an action flick, so i'm wondering if anyone figured out ways to improve performance.

+1

sdowney717
November 25th, 2012, 04:50 AM
On netflix, do a search for example and then play some of the test videos to see if they have any judder.

I have read some of the judder is Netflix encoding issues and some is your PC - playback device.

Some videos Netflix did a better job and some not so good.

weasel fierce
November 25th, 2012, 05:31 AM
yeah, I noticed it can differ by video. Some are quite solid, and some less so.

sdowney717
November 25th, 2012, 09:54 PM
yeah, I noticed it can differ by video. Some are quite solid, and some less so.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/judder_24p.htm?page=What-Causes-Judder
Judder can be eliminated with frame interpolation.

What Netflix perhaps does is some streams they have worked on adding in frames using some kind of video process and others they have done nothing. I have watched Amazon prime videos and not noticed judder and I have watched Netflix videos and not noticed judder. I have also seen lots of judder on Netflix, you can tell it is not perfectly fluid like. When we went from silverlight ver4 to silverlight ver5, this judder seemed to be much less.
Perhaps silverlight 5 with hardware accelerated video does some kind of video interpolation.

weasel fierce
November 25th, 2012, 11:12 PM
On that topic. I got a popup about updating silverlight in firefox. Is that safe to do, or no ?

spook1980
November 25th, 2012, 11:57 PM
On that topic. I got a popup about updating silverlight in firefox. Is that safe to do, or no ?

you can try if it breaks it, you can always delete the .netflix-desktop folder in your home folder. then relaunch netflix desktop.

spook1980
November 26th, 2012, 12:04 AM
and don't mean to get off topic here, but... shouldn't this topic be in the wine catagory?

mikodo
November 28th, 2012, 04:43 AM
LOL dont feel bad. I am moving to the Philippines in less then two months and no more Hulu or Netflix..Would a service like below help you guys?

http://support.unblock-us.com/customer/portal/articles/291505

There are others, just google for them and read (some solutions appear free), to see if they would help.

Hope you find something applicable.

dniMretsaM
November 28th, 2012, 06:38 AM
Netflix Desktop 0.2.0 was released today. It now uses Firefox 17.0.

King Dude
November 28th, 2012, 06:42 AM
I'd be happy as all hell if there was a Netflix add-on for XBMC.

LuciferRex
November 28th, 2012, 06:47 AM
Netflix Desktop 0.2.0 was released today. It now uses Firefox 17.0.

I downloaded it, and I can now actually WATCH Netflix on my laptop!

dniMretsaM
November 28th, 2012, 09:04 PM
I'd be happy as all hell if there was a Netflix add-on for XBMC.

I'm sure this could be compiled on XBMC, since it's just a patched WINE, FF, and SilverLight. Maybe suggest it to the devs or something.

tjeremiah
November 29th, 2012, 03:11 AM
does the ppa created for this operation function well? I want to try this but dont want the whole process to be a headache.

randumari
November 29th, 2012, 04:15 AM
I had netflix-desktop installed yesterday, but then I upgraded to 0.2 an hour ago. Now I get sound only when loading a movie.

apt-show-versions netflix-desktop
netflix-desktop/quantal uptodate 0.2.0~quantal

apt-show-versions wine-compholio
wine-compholio 1.5.18~quantal installed: No available version in archive

I tried rm -rf ~/.netflix-desktop, as well as apt-get purging wine-compholio and netflix-desktop, as well as re-adding the ppa. How do I downgrade?

sudo apt-get install netflix-desktop=0.1.0~quantal9
Building dependency tree
E: Version '0.1.0~quantal9' for 'netflix-desktop' was not found

dniMretsaM
November 29th, 2012, 04:32 AM
does the ppa created for this operation function well? I want to try this but dont want the whole process to be a headache.

Works great for me.

weasel fierce
November 29th, 2012, 04:45 AM
Works great for me.

yeah, I haven't had issues either.

zer010
November 29th, 2012, 07:23 AM
Oh hell, looks like I have some catching up to do... I got the latest update from the ppa and I get the site, I get to browse, but actual playing gives me a black screen and after a while some sound (yay!?).. I've not gone through this thread in it's entirety, thus the footwork ahead. However, I'm glad to see that it's working at all. Awesome! When I get more time, I'll definitely look into this.

arpanaut
November 29th, 2012, 08:06 AM
WOW!
My socks are officially knocked off.
This is impressive, now I will start getting my moneys worth from my Netflix subscription.
I really hated having to boot Win to use Netflix, this is awesome!

YeeeeeHaw!

dniMretsaM
November 29th, 2012, 05:21 PM
Oh hell, looks like I have some catching up to do... I got the latest update from the ppa and I get the site, I get to browse, but actual playing gives me a black screen and after a while some sound (yay!?).. I've not gone through this thread in it's entirety, thus the footwork ahead. However, I'm glad to see that it's working at all. Awesome! When I get more time, I'll definitely look into this.

Randumari has this issue as well. I don't, though, so I have no way of trying to figure out what's wrong.

oldrocker99
November 29th, 2012, 10:12 PM
Netflix-desktop returned a wine error with plugin-container.exe on my 32-bit 12.10 laptop, but it works fine on my 12.04 desktop. I did have to enter

pulseaudio -k

to get ungarbled sound, but now I can stream Netflix under Linux!

This. Is. BIG!

LuciferRex
November 29th, 2012, 11:43 PM
This. Is. BIG!

This was the only thing I missed about running Windows on my lappy.

monkeybrain2012
November 30th, 2012, 01:09 AM
This is interesting. I don't care about Netflix but wouldn't mind doing some testing. I am planning to set up a trail account, is there any catch I should be aware of?

sdowney717
December 1st, 2012, 03:10 AM
Trying netflix another way by using chrome remote desktop and it works.

Installed remote desktop on both a win7 and ubuntu PC
On the win7 you do the enable remote desktop using a pin number, not the generate access code which for me does not work

Then run the app on the ubuntu PC
click your machine name farther down the list
enter the win7 pin number
and your in.

at the top of the window in the browser, click you can play with full screen mode and other options.

randumari
December 1st, 2012, 04:56 AM
I figured out a couple problems I was having, which I'm sure were contributing to my netflix-desktop/wine issues:

One problem I figured out using "netflix-desktop --showdebug." Because I have a 64-bit system, I had to use getlibs to get a 32 bit gnome-keyring shared object according to: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-keyring/+bug/885492

Secondly, when I ran /opt/wine-compholio/bin/winecfg, it created a .wine directory in my home directory. I deleted it and set my WINEPREFIX variable to $HOME/.netflix-desktop to get winecfg to create the directory structure there instead. I've also uninstalled any wine packages that I could find on my system for simplicity.

I'm still only seeing a black screen but hearing audio when playing a movie.
I'm attaching my --showdebug output. If someone could help, I'd greatly appreciate it.

sdowney717
December 1st, 2012, 11:25 AM
Try moving the window around, min, max resize. I have also noticed the black screen but not often. Moving the window brought it back.

BarfBag
December 1st, 2012, 08:22 PM
This is interesting. I don't care about Netflix but wouldn't mind doing some testing. I am planning to set up a trail account, is there any catch I should be aware of?

They'll probably make you enter in your card number, but I've found them to be a pretty honest company. You won't be charged as long as you cancel by the end of the trial.

tzoom84
December 1st, 2012, 09:17 PM
Any way I can install netflix-desktop on Ubuntu 11.10? I unfortunately won't be able to get up to 12.04 any time soon so I was wondering if there was potentially a manual install procedure?

dniMretsaM
December 1st, 2012, 10:19 PM
Any way I can install netflix-desktop on Ubuntu 11.10? I unfortunately won't be able to get up to 12.04 any time soon so I was wondering if there was potentially a manual install procedure?

The PPA works on 10.04-13.04, so you should be fine.

tzoom84
December 1st, 2012, 11:10 PM
Hmm. When I run the commands in the first post, I end up with:

xbmc@xbmc-server:/etc$ sudo apt-get install netflix-desktop
Building dependency tree
E: Unable to locate package netflix-desktop

I found this page that, at the end of the comments section, made it seem it wasn't 11.10 compatible:
https://plus.google.com/+LinuxNewsHere/posts/Y5DxnMktwbT

randumari
December 1st, 2012, 11:43 PM
sdowney717 (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=209280), you figured it out! I had to Alt+Left-Arrow to get to the netflix video selection screen in order to F11 to access the maximize button. Actually, there are two sets of {close/minimize/maximize} buttons (the Netflix window and the window manager's top bar). Once I clicked maximize on the window manager's top bar, the video appeared in the Netflix window!

I'm so happy that I can watch Netflix now :-)

tzoom84
December 1st, 2012, 11:56 PM
More on the compatibility 2-3 posts ago:

When I check out the PPA directory at https://launchpad.net/~ehoover/+archive/compholio/, I see only:
0.2.0 raring, 0.2.0 quantal, 0.2.0 precise.

Unfortunately no 11.10 (ocelot). Anyone know of any tips to manually compile?
I followed the directions here: http://ashu-geek.blogspot.com/2012/11/netflix-desktop-released-for-ubuntu.html

However, when I attempt to load a movie I get a Silverlight error: "Silverlight Installation Problem, Error Code: 2104"

pompel9
December 2nd, 2012, 12:31 AM
I have tried to install netflix desktop more than once. The problem I have is that silverlight does not install with the netflix desktop. So until they fix this problem I have to use my PS3.
When I try to play a movie in netflix desktop I only get up that I have to install silverlight.

If anyone knows a fix for this I will be mighty grateful.

The laptop I try to use this one has ubuntu 12.04 64bit installed.

sdowney717
December 2nd, 2012, 12:55 AM
sdowney717 (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=209280), you figured it out! I had to Alt+Left-Arrow to get to the netflix video selection screen in order to F11 to access the maximize button. Actually, there are two sets of {close/minimize/maximize} buttons (the Netflix window and the window manager's top bar). Once I clicked maximize on the window manager's top bar, the video appeared in the Netflix window!

I'm so happy that I can watch Netflix now :-)

That's great!
I hope they can make silver-light ver 5 work, then we can get hardware accelerated video. I read a comment on the wine forum saying they need to do more work on wine3d.

Beardedturtle
December 2nd, 2012, 01:29 AM
Seems like if I made a change to Wine CFG I have to restart my machine other wise I would have accelerated sound issues.

sdowney717
December 2nd, 2012, 02:04 AM
Seems like if I made a change to Wine CFG I have to restart my machine other wise I would have accelerated sound issues.

try running

pulseaudio -k

it will kill and then restart pulseaudio

Beardedturtle
December 2nd, 2012, 03:04 AM
try running

pulseaudio -k

it will kill and then restart pulseaudio
I would get a terminal error message with that. IDK why but that is the way mine works.
:guitar:

tzoom84
December 2nd, 2012, 05:59 PM
So I was able to get somewhere with a manual compile, running on Ubuntu 11.10, using directions from:
http://ashu-geek.blogspot.com/2012/11/netflix-desktop-released-for-ubuntu.html

Seems as all compiles properly. But when I go to start a movie from Netflix, the screen just stays forever black. Processor and CPU usage is minimal. No blatent errors in the wine log (that I noticed). And no silverlight errors.

Anyone experience anything similar?

cptrohn
December 2nd, 2012, 06:05 PM
Is there anyway to keep the Netflix desktop from opening in full screen by default?

lovinglinux
December 2nd, 2012, 06:16 PM
Is there anyway to keep the Netflix desktop from opening in full screen by default?

Hit F11 and close it. It will start windowed next time.

cptrohn
December 2nd, 2012, 07:42 PM
Hit F11 and close it. It will start windowed next time.

Gracious!

sdowney717
December 5th, 2012, 11:04 PM
It was doing the install and hit a snag on msft core font installer.
I was shown a page with an <OK> which nothing would let me get past, no keys or clicks worked, so I closed the terminal

Now on rerun it is stuck, damaged, locked.

So how to fix this?

[sudo] password for scott:
E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?

sdowney717
December 5th, 2012, 11:07 PM
1. rm /var/lib/dpkg/lock
2. sudo dpkg --configure -a

Ok this started it going again, however msft core fonts???

sdowney717
December 5th, 2012, 11:12 PM
I had to reboot and reinstall and now getting stuck again

any ideas????

OK, HIT TAB then ENTER

and you can get past it.

sdowney717
December 5th, 2012, 11:24 PM
still broken for me with 64 bit, I get plugin container errors

You can fix by installing the binary Nvidia driver, so Netflix does not work with nouveau free driver.
backtrace.txt

Unhandled exception: page fault on write access to 0x7dd89000 in 32-bit code (0xf75d4696).
Register dump:
CS:0023 SS:002b DS:002b ES:002b FS:0063 GS:006b
EIP:f75d4696 ESP:0033c584 EBP:0033c644 EFLAGS:00010206( R- -- I - -P- )
EAX:7e189a20 EBX:f7643ff4 ECX:03365a60 EDX:7dd88fe0
ESI:7dd112d0 EDI:033c6290
Stack dump:
0x0033c584: f6e00ff4 f6dd9551 7dd288c0 7e129280
0x0033c594: 033c6280 f6ffbff4 f6ffbff4 002071b8
0x0033c5a4: 002071cc f6f2fd2e 00000001 0033c624
0x0033c5b4: 0033c628 7e129280 7dc9b710 03200053
0x0033c5c4: 7dd112d0 7bc352df f6ecdfe0 00000000
0x0033c5d4: 00000000 00110000 00000011 f6ec8ff4
Backtrace:
=>0 0xf75d4696 (0x0033c644)
1 0xf6f31cf0 (0x0033cae4)
2 0xf6f35e91 (0x0033cb04)
3 0xf6fbf58a (0x0033cb44)
4 0xf71ad182 (0x0033cb64)
5 0xf71a1b3c (0x0033cb94)
6 0x01c70158 in npctrl (+0xa0157) (0x0033cbec)
7 0x01c6ffb1 in npctrl (+0x9ffb0) (0x0033cc00)
8 0x01c11a51 in npctrl (+0x41a50) (0x0033cc20)
9 0x01c52272 in npctrl (+0x82271) (0x0033cc3c)
10 0x01c50d54 in npctrl (+0x80d53) (0x0033cc4c)
11 0x10a36e8c in xul (+0xa36e8b) (0x0033cd68)
12 0x109d421a in xul (+0x9d4219) (0x0033cdb8)
13 0x10a05a07 in xul (+0xa05a06) (0x0033cdd8)
14 0x10a05b4f in xul (+0xa05b4e) (0x0033ce0c)
15 0x10a200c4 in xul (+0xa200c3) (0x0033ce94)
16 0x10a24a02 in xul (+0xa24a01) (0x0033cee8)
17 0x10a2ae01 in xul (+0xa2ae00) (0x0033cf44)
18 0x01c9befd in npctrl (+0xcbefc) (0x0033cf68)
19 0x01c5ac9f in npctrl (+0x8ac9e) (0x0033cfd0)
20 0x01c3cbfb in npctrl (+0x6cbfa) (0x0033cff0)
21 0x01c1459d in npctrl (+0x4459c) (0x0033e0fc)
22 0x01be38e6 in npctrl (+0x138e5) (0x0033f368)
23 0x01be3bcc in npctrl (+0x13bcb) (0x0033f3d0)
24 0x01be3d77 in npctrl (+0x13d76) (0x0033f418)
25 0x01be3e0e in npctrl (+0x13e0d) (0x0033f454)
26 0x01be3e62 in npctrl (+0x13e61) (0x0033f470)
27 0x01be3f75 in npctrl (+0x13f74) (0x0033f484)
28 0x01bd4702 in npctrl (+0x4701) (0x0033f4a0)
29 0x7eb8758a (0x0033f4d0)
30 0x7eb87cdc (0x0033f520)
31 0x7eb8a2ed (0x0033f570)
32 0x7eb4c43e (0x0033f660)
33 0x10681639 in xul (+0x681638) (0x0033f69c)
34 0x106847ca in xul (+0x6847c9) (0x0033f6cc)
35 0x102ce32c in xul (+0x2ce32b) (0x0033f714)
36 0x102bd101 in xul (+0x2bd100) (0x0033f730)
37 0x10a410cf in xul (+0xa410ce) (0x0033fdf0)
38 0x0040126a in plugin-container (+0x1269) (0x0033fe2c)
39 0x004014a0 in plugin-container (+0x149f) (0x0033fe70)
40 0x7b85c22c in kernel32 (+0x4c22b) (0x0033fe88)
41 0x7b85d49f in kernel32 (+0x4d49e) (0x0033fec8)
42 0x7bc73740 (0x0033fed8)
43 0x7bc7621d (0x0033ffa8)
44 0x7bc7371e (0x0033ffc8)
45 0x7bc4a53e (0x0033ffe8)
0xf75d4696: movntq %mm2,0x20(%edx)
Modules:
Module Address Debug info Name (52 modules)
PE 340000- 36d000 Deferred nspr4
PE 370000- 390000 Deferred mozglue
PE 390000- 3a8000 Deferred smime3
PE 3b0000- 3c8000 Deferred nssutil3
PE 3d0000- 3d7000 Deferred plc4
PE 3e0000- 3e7000 Deferred plds4
PE 3f0000- 3f6000 Deferred mozalloc
PE 400000- 406000 Export plugin-container
PE 410000- 65f000 Deferred mozjs
PE 660000- 6fe000 Deferred nss3
PE 700000- 725000 Deferred ssl3
PE 730000- 7f8000 Deferred mozsqlite3
PE 800000- c2e000 Deferred gkmedias
PE 1bd0000- 1ccd000 Export npctrl
PE 1cd0000- 2290000 Deferred agcore
PE 10000000-10eac000 Export xul
PE 78050000-780b9000 Deferred msvcp100
PE 78aa0000-78b5e000 Deferred msvcr100
PE 7b810000-7b996000 Export kernel32
PE 7bc10000-7bc14000 Deferred ntdll
PE 7e100000-7e104000 Deferred winex11
PE 7e250000-7e258000 Deferred winspool
PE 7e290000-7e29e000 Deferred setupapi
PE 7e2f0000-7e2f4000 Deferred uxtheme
PE 7e320000-7e324000 Deferred imm32
PE 7e340000-7e36e000 Deferred comctl32
PE 7e440000-7e448000 Deferred shlwapi
PE 7e4b0000-7e609000 Deferred shell32
PE 7e6d0000-7e6d8000 Deferred oleaut32
PE 7e7c0000-7e7c3000 Deferred msimg32
PE 7e7e0000-7e7e3000 Deferred usp10
PE 7e820000-7e829000 Deferred msacm32
PE 7e850000-7e854000 Deferred rpcrt4
PE 7e8d0000-7e8d8000 Deferred ole32
PE 7e9c0000-7e9c4000 Deferred version
PE 7e9e0000-7e9e7000 Deferred gdi32
PE 7eaf0000-7eb2a000 Deferred user32
PE 7ec20000-7ec92000 Deferred winmm
PE 7ecd0000-7ecd4000 Deferred iphlpapi
PE 7ecf0000-7ecf4000 Deferred ws2_32
PE 7ed20000-7ed24000 Deferred wsock32
PE 7ed40000-7ed44000 Deferred advapi32
PE 7eff0000-7eff4000 Deferred psapi
PE f6e20000-f6e24000 Deferred opengl32
PE f6ee0000-f6ee4000 Deferred wined3d
PE f7190000-f7194000 Deferred d3d9
PE f7200000-f7203000 Deferred netapi32
PE f7230000-f726b000 Deferred crypt32
PE f72f0000-f7300000 Deferred urlmon
PE f7370000-f737a000 Deferred mpr
PE f73a0000-f73b7000 Deferred wininet
PE f7440000-f7444000 Deferred dbghelp
Threads:
process tid prio (all id:s are in hex)
00000008 firefox.exe
0000000d 0
00000046 0
00000045 0
00000044 0
00000043 0
00000042 0
00000041 0
00000040 0
0000003f 0
0000003e 0
0000003c 0
0000003b 0
0000003a 0
00000039 0
00000038 0
00000037 0
00000036 0
00000035 0
00000034 0
00000033 0
00000032 0
00000031 0
0000002f 0
0000002e 0
0000002d 0
0000002c 0
0000002b 0
00000029 -1
00000028 0
00000027 0
00000026 0
00000025 0
00000024 0
00000023 0
00000009 0
0000000e services.exe
00000021 0
00000020 0
00000018 0
00000017 0
00000015 0
00000010 0
0000000f 0
00000012 winedevice.exe
0000001a 0
00000019 0
00000014 0
00000013 0
0000001b plugplay.exe
00000022 0
0000001f 0
0000001c 0
0000001d explorer.exe
0000001e 0
00000047 (D) C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugin-container.exe
00000048 0
00000030 0
0000003d 0
0000002a 0
0000000b 0 <==
00000049 agcp.exe
0000004a 0
System information:
Wine build: wine-1.5.18
Platform: i386
Host system: Linux
Host version: 3.2.0-34-generic

I will try installing wine1.4 which then says will use 411mb!

scott@scott-P5QC:~$ sudo apt-get install wine1.4
[sudo] password for scott:
Building dependency tree
The following extra packages will be installed:
binfmt-support fonts-droid fonts-horai-umefont fonts-unfonts-core
gnome-exe-thumbnailer icoutils imagemagick imagemagick-common libcapi20-3
libcdt4 libencode-locale-perl libfile-listing-perl libfont-afm-perl
libgettextpo0 libgif4 libgraph4 libgvc5 libhtml-form-perl
libhtml-format-perl libhtml-parser-perl libhtml-tagset-perl
libhtml-tree-perl libhttp-cookies-perl libhttp-daemon-perl libhttp-date-perl
libhttp-message-perl libhttp-negotiate-perl libio-socket-inet6-perl
libio-socket-ssl-perl liblqr-1-0 liblwp-mediatypes-perl
liblwp-protocol-https-perl libmagickcore4 libmagickcore4-extra
libmagickwand4 libmailtools-perl libnet-http-perl libnet-ssleay-perl
libnetpbm10 libpam-winbind libpathplan4 libsocket6-perl libtimedate-perl
liburi-perl libwww-perl libwww-robotrules-perl netpbm ttf-droid ttf-umefont
ttf-unfonts-core unrar winbind wine-gecko1.4 wine-gecko1.4:i386
wine1.4-amd64 wine1.4-common wine1.4-i386:i386 winetricks
Suggested packages:
libterm-readline-gnu-perl libterm-readline-perl-perl imagemagick-doc
autotrace enscript gnuplot grads hp2xx html2ps libwmf-bin povray radiance
texlive-base-bin transfig ufraw-batch libdata-dump-perl libcrypt-ssleay-perl
libauthen-ntlm-perl dosbox
binfmt-support fonts-droid fonts-horai-umefont fonts-unfonts-core
gnome-exe-thumbnailer icoutils imagemagick imagemagick-common libcapi20-3
libcdt4 libencode-locale-perl libfile-listing-perl libfont-afm-perl
libgettextpo0 libgif4 libgraph4 libgvc5 libhtml-form-perl
libhtml-format-perl libhtml-parser-perl libhtml-tagset-perl
libhtml-tree-perl libhttp-cookies-perl libhttp-daemon-perl libhttp-date-perl
libhttp-message-perl libhttp-negotiate-perl libio-socket-inet6-perl
libio-socket-ssl-perl liblqr-1-0 liblwp-mediatypes-perl
liblwp-protocol-https-perl libmagickcore4 libmagickcore4-extra
libmagickwand4 libmailtools-perl libnet-http-perl libnet-ssleay-perl
libnetpbm10 libpam-winbind libpathplan4 libsocket6-perl libtimedate-perl
liburi-perl libwww-perl libwww-robotrules-perl netpbm ttf-droid ttf-umefont
ttf-unfonts-core unrar winbind wine-gecko1.4 wine-gecko1.4:i386 wine1.4
wine1.4-amd64 wine1.4-common wine1.4-i386:i386 winetricks
0 upgraded, 59 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 152 MB of archives.
After this operation, 411 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y

sdowney717
December 6th, 2012, 03:36 AM
I solved it!
I needed to install the binary Nvidia driver, now it is working

I think will uninstall wine1.4

Returning Penguin
December 6th, 2012, 06:45 PM
Hi everyone, I am new to ubuntu but was with suse until my laptop died and when my new laptop had windows 7 I rode it out but it crashed(which I expected) and am now running ubuntu 10.04. I am trying to install the netflix app and keep getting this: netflix-desktop cannot be found any help??

sdowney717
December 6th, 2012, 07:03 PM
Hi everyone, I am new to ubuntu but was with suse until my laptop died and when my new laptop had windows 7 I rode it out but it crashed(which I expected) and am now running ubuntu 10.04. I am trying to install the netflix app and keep getting this: netflix-desktop cannot be found any help??

Not well supported on that version?
What is your reason for not running a newer version of Ubuntu?
If you dislike the desktop, run cinnamon or gnome3

Gnome3 you can install extensions which mimic gnome2

tjeremiah
December 7th, 2012, 04:34 AM
I installed from PPA. Everything appeared to have install. Click on Netflix-desktop and nothing loads. Try to run it in terminal and receive no message.

silverhaze06
December 7th, 2012, 05:39 AM
I already had wine installed before this so for some reason it made it not work. After I uninstalled wine, I reinstalled this thing according to the instructions. Now it's working. The only problem I'm having with it is entering/exiting out of fullscreen mode for the program. A lot of times it will cause me to not be able to close the program by clicking the x on the window and i cant click on anything in the unity panel. I have to hit f10 to bring the menu up and close it from there. and that doesnt show up while in fullscreen mode.

sdowney717
December 7th, 2012, 12:34 PM
I already had wine installed before this so for some reason it made it not work. After I uninstalled wine, I reinstalled this thing according to the instructions. Now it's working. The only problem I'm having with it is entering/exiting out of fullscreen mode for the program. A lot of times it will cause me to not be able to close the program by clicking the x on the window and i cant click on anything in the unity panel. I have to hit f10 to bring the menu up and close it from there. and that doesnt show up while in fullscreen mode.

Try this
while in the app before starting a movie
hit F11 if full screen
hit alt + v key

tell it to load the menu and navigation bars

close it then reopen and see it it has them showing and not full screened

silverhaze06
December 7th, 2012, 12:36 PM
I now notice 2 problems. Video playback is a little choppy in standard def, but still watchable. In HD mode, it only plays 1 frame every 1/3 of a second and is completely unwatchable... I'm thinking I need to change some setting in the wine configuration, but that part of wine is not in my application menu anymore. Anyone else have this problem?

silverhaze06
December 7th, 2012, 12:51 PM
Try this
while in the app before starting a movie
hit F11 if full screen
hit alt + v key

tell it to load the menu and navigation bars

close it then reopen and see it it has them showing and not full screened

Like everything else, it only seems to work half the time if im lucky. Do you know anything about fixing the extremely choppy HD streams?

sdowney717
December 7th, 2012, 02:13 PM
Like everything else, it only seems to work half the time if im lucky. Do you know anything about fixing the extremely choppy HD streams?

That is likely due to Silverlight ver 4 being used. Silverlight ver 5 uses hardware accelerated video. On a win7 machine 4 core cpu with nvidia geforce 260 I noticed the difference between ver 4 and ver 5.

I think if you look up netflix judder you may find more info.

Also do a search for 'example' under netflix. They have encoded various videos which have no judder when watched from my ubuntu machine. So it could be that some Netflix video will look better and other worse depending on how much effort Netflix puts into them.
these examples play fairly smooth on my ubuntu pc.

I can watch Amazon prime video smooth as silk.
How does Amazon play for you? They have some free video.

silverhaze06
December 7th, 2012, 09:32 PM
That is likely due to Silverlight ver 4 being used. Silverlight ver 5 uses hardware accelerated video. On a win7 machine 4 core cpu with nvidia geforce 260 I noticed the difference between ver 4 and ver 5.

I think if you look up netflix judder you may find more info.

Also do a search for 'example' under netflix. They have encoded various videos which have no judder when watched from my ubuntu machine. So it could be that some Netflix video will look better and other worse depending on how much effort Netflix puts into them.
these examples play fairly smooth on my ubuntu pc.

I can watch Amazon prime video smooth as silk.
How does Amazon play for you? They have some free video.

Yeah the sample movies on netflix were not quite as jittery, but still jittery. So for now ill have to set the quality down I guess. The sample movies I played on amazon prime were smooth as silk tho, like you said.

silverhaze06
December 8th, 2012, 07:54 AM
Or could it have something to do with the fact that the version of wine its running under is a 32bit version and im on a 64bit system?

weasel fierce
December 8th, 2012, 08:13 AM
I got it to work on Kubuntu 64 bit, when I tested it on our new laptop, so that ought not to be the case

tcuc
December 8th, 2012, 04:13 PM
my installation won't start... i ran "netflix-desktop --showdebug" and got the error "wine: cannot find 'C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe'"
so i checked my /.netflix-desktop/drive_c/Program Files folder and found no Firefox Folder... help? :P Does any one have the folder, could someone pack it in to a zip or something?

dniMretsaM
December 8th, 2012, 07:19 PM
my installation won't start... i ran "netflix-desktop --showdebug" and got the error "wine: cannot find 'C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe'"
so i checked my /.netflix-desktop/drive_c/Program Files folder and found no Firefox Folder... help? :P Does any one have the folder, could someone pack it in to a zip or something?

Remove the ~/.netflix-desktop directory and reinstall the application.

tcuc
December 8th, 2012, 08:49 PM
Remove the ~/.netflix-desktop directory and reinstall the application.

Thanks, I deleted the "~.netflix-desktop/" and then installed netflix-desktop:i386 (sudo apt-get install netflix-desktop:i386) it worked grate on my Ubuntu 12.04 x64.

BarfBag
December 10th, 2012, 01:09 AM
Having an issue on 12.04 x64. The program installs through the terminal, but when I go to click on the icon; nothing happens at all. Does anybody know what's going on here?